The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 27, 2009, 05:13 PM   #1
ken22250

wood plus stocks

the wood plus stocks sold threw brownells, are they good quality? they sell finished and unfinished, unfinished are about $20 bucks cheaper, but i was wondering about the quality of the wood, are they worth buying?
thanks.
ken
Old January 28, 2009, 12:30 AM   #2
steve1589

I was told by a gunsmith friend wood plus stocks are crap and he sent it back for a refund. I guess it depends on whether you are are looking for proper stock geometry and how well it fits the firearm.
Old January 28, 2009, 01:09 PM   #3
Scorch

I recently saw Wood Plus products ordered from Brownells. They are very plain grain stocks, nice color but no figure, basically utility grade. Like any aftermarket stock, the Wood Plus stocks need to be fitted to your individual firearm in order to be done right. Also, finishing will probably take more than $20 worth of time and effort. If you want a nice stock that will make you proud every time you look at it, buy a Richards Micro-Fit stock ( www.rifle-stocks.com ).
Old January 28, 2009, 11:26 PM   #4
Inspector3711

Richards Micro-Fit Dual Grip from 1973 on my .25-06:

You can shoot it using the thumbhole or with a normal grip. They start at around $70 in American black walnut but one figured like mine would probably run around $200. I'm not certain which wood my uncle ordered for this rifle but in my eye it most closely resembles Bastogne walnut which is still available. They have six hardwoods to choose from and between eight and twelve grades of wood for each. They also offer over 20 laminate patterns. This is all on their site and is only the options for this one stock. It's a neat site to look through.

Last edited by Inspector3711; January 28, 2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old January 29, 2009, 10:09 AM   #5
PetahW

IIRC, the "Wood Plus" stocks are laminated, with a plain/inexpensive central core and a hardwood (walnut/maple/etc) outer layer on each side.

It might be an "acquired" taste.

Old February 10, 2011, 06:55 PM   #6
Quick Karl

How can you do business with Richard's when they NEVER answer their fricken phone?

And I mean NEVER.
Old February 13, 2011, 03:27 AM   #7
RwBeV

They havent changed since 1986 maybe one day they will pick up, they still make a nice stock though.
Old February 13, 2011, 03:37 AM   #8
Quick Karl

Have they had the same Answering Machine message running since 1986 too? :barf:

They also do not respond to emails...

Its really hard for me to do business with a company that wants your money, wants you sit around for 10 to 12-weeks tll they get around to your order, but doesn NOT want to talk to you.
Old February 14, 2011, 02:36 AM   #9
Scorch

I talk to the folks at Richards at least once a week. No problems getting them to answer the phone. Makes me wonder who you are calling . . .
Old February 14, 2011, 02:37 AM   #10
Quick Karl

Really... why dont you post the number you use because they do NOT answer the number listed on their website.
Old February 14, 2011, 02:42 AM   #11
Scorch

Same number they have on their web site, (818) 767-6097 then dial 3. Call between 9 and 11:30 AM, or between 1:30 and 4:00 PM.
Old February 14, 2011, 02:07 PM   #12
Quick Karl

If you dial 3 after the answering machine answers their phone you get a message asking you to press # to continue or * to cancel...

If you press # it says there is no extention 3.

Ive treied 33, 03, 30...

Maybe you are special and they have your number on a caller ID that says OK to answer - I've been trying to call and email them for months and have never ever recieved the courtesy of an email reply to any of my inquiries and obviously, no one has ever answered their phone.

All I want is someone to machine inlet a Walnut black I have for a Springfield 03 Action (Which is something their website says they will do) and let me shape the outside of the stock to my liking. I have asked as politely as is humanly possible if this is something they can do and they haven't responded either way.

Businesses in America aint what they used to be.

I ordered stock makers screws from Brownell's and will do it the old fashioned way and go slower than a tortise so I don't waste the blank.

Last edited by Quick Karl; February 14, 2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old February 14, 2011, 03:59 PM   #13
Scorch

Quick Karl-
Sorry to hear about your issues with Richards. Call Rob Jones at Gunville, 336-425-3888. He can help you, I believe.
Old February 14, 2011, 05:15 PM   #14
Quick Karl

Thank you Scorch. I will give them a try.