The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 4, 2017, 08:50 PM   #1
adamBomb

pocket pistols w/ safety

I am looking for a new carry gun and am looking for a pocket pistol with a safety. My current carry guns are a glock 26 and ruger lcp but I really want something with a safety this time around as I have just never been comfortable with the others. I love the size of the LCP so I am considering the Bodyguard. I am not a fan of the sig cock and lock so was wondering what else is out there. More than likely I am getting a bodyguard but figured I would ask before I pull the trigger (no pun intended).

Please don't be that person that comments about not liking/needing safeties this isn't the thread for that. No reason to debate. I prefer the safety option vs no safety option.

Last edited by adamBomb; May 5, 2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old May 4, 2017, 09:16 PM   #2
Siggy-06

You can get the Ruger LC9S with a safety. Its a little bigger, but still pocketable.
Old May 4, 2017, 09:43 PM   #3
Laz

I wish there was a way for you to try the "cocked and locked" Sig. it is very secure and I have the utmost confidence in mine. I know you have no reason to take my word for it but I wish you would. I think you'd be sold on it.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:19 PM   #4
BigMikey76

If you're looking for options other than the bodyguard, I second the LC9. It's the same width, and less than an inch taller and less than an inch longer than the bodyguard, but you get 9mm instead of .380. The flat base plate makes it very pocketable.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:35 PM   #5
Screwball

pocket pistols w/ safety

How about a NAA revolver with the safety notch in the cylinder? Pull the hammer back, and it indexes it with the cylinder that will fire next...

That is the closest think it got to a pocket gun with a safety... minus my SIG P938. I can echo what Laz said, as the safety is very positive. I'm not usually a SAO guy, but was very happy going with that gun, and have no issue pocket carrying it. Biggest thing, use a quality holster.

The one thing with going with a gun with a safety is remembering to take it off. I've seen lots of people not get that down to instinct, and sit there squeezing a dead trigger. I prefer guns without a manual safety... and there usually is one or more internal safeties.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:43 PM   #6
MandolinMan

Although the Sig P238 is SAO, the safety of very positive and the trigger is fairly heavy. Around 8lbs I think?

I'd recommend handling both of you haven't already. I find the bodyguard safety difficult to manipulate myself.
Old May 5, 2017, 01:19 AM   #7
RoughDivider

I leave the safety off on my bodyguard anyways, no reason to fool with it and it's a very onerous safety as well, the p238 really is te nicer gun in all aspects except for weight. Love my bodyguard though, if you've ever practiced with revolvers the trigger is no big deal.
Old May 5, 2017, 06:00 AM   #8
ritepath

While I normally consider the Bodyguard too big for pocket carry compared to the gen1 LCPs I'd say that's going to be your best option for a pocket gun with a manual safety.

The new bodyguards without the big bulky laser are pretty small.
Old May 5, 2017, 07:53 AM   #9
Ibmikey

I have a Bodyguard with a safety that is small and easily concealed in a pocket or on person. The trigger takes a bit of practice so you do not pull the muzzle down on firing. I have never put the safety in the on position, if I need the pistol it will be a down and dirty emergency and I do not want to rely on reflex or memory to push that tiny lever down.
Old May 5, 2017, 08:25 AM   #10
adamBomb

Thanks for the responses so far. I am going to head to a few shops this weekend to hold some of these. I am in no rush to buy so am going to really get a feel for what I want and try/rent them if I can.

The LC9 definitely seems like an option and I will check it out.

I had never seen the NAA revolvers and they look awesome. They all looked to be .22 though and I really wanted .380+. I really like that concept though. Very cool and I really want to see them.

I love the sigs. I like the 1911 look. But I am not sure about the whole cock/lock thing. I know its supposed to be very safe but I am not sure I would do that in a pocket and I dont IWB carry that often since I got my LCP and got used to pocket carry.

Keep the suggestions coming. I am still kinda leaning towards the bodyguard...and I am looking at the version without the laser.
Old May 5, 2017, 08:58 AM   #11
FITASC

Are you totally against something like a J frame revolver such as the 642?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 5, 2017, 09:41 AM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Colt Mustang Pocketlite/Kimber Micro 380/Sig P238 are basically the same pistol. Positive thumb safety.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:40 AM   #13
TailGator

My pocket pistol is the P238, and my pocket holster covers both the trigger and the safety lever. I know you are leaning away from that pistol, but it is a little gem if you are willing to reconsider.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:44 AM   #14
pete2

I have the 642 and an LC9. Both can be carried in a pocket, I do quite often. The 642 is a tad lighter and it come out of a pocket a lot easier than the LC9, a lot easier. I recently bought a 2nd 642. Too bad I shoot a little better with the LC9.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:32 AM   #15
RickB

Colt Mustang/SIG P238/Kimber Micro.
Interesting that people now seem to think that you need a heavy trigger on a gun with a safety, to protect you from the eventuality of the safety being inadvertently disengaged, but it's not a concern on guns without a safety?
It's pretty easy to "tune" the trigger of the above guns down to the 4#-5# range, so that you get the advantage of a good SA pull.
Old May 5, 2017, 01:31 PM   #16
mavracer

Kahr makes the PM9 with a manual safety and it's a smidge smaller than a LC9 although with the flat base mag in the LC9 not much I sold my PM when Ruger came out with the LC9s pro.

Quote:
I have never put the safety in the on position, if I need the pistol it will be a down and dirty emergency and I do not want to rely on reflex or memory to push that tiny lever down.
I really don't understand this line of thinking, seems like a recipe for having a inoperable gun at the moment you need it. Either get a gun without a manual safety or train to use the safety.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old May 5, 2017, 01:38 PM   #17
joe-lumber

revolver

You might consider a revolver. I carry a Colt Detective at times. Other times I carry a Sig 225 which can be carried with a loaded chamber and the first shot is almost like a double action and the rest are single action.
Old May 5, 2017, 02:42 PM   #18
RickB

Quote:
I have never put the safety in the on position, if I need the pistol it will be a down and dirty emergency and I do not want to rely on reflex or memory to push that tiny lever down.
In a struggle for my gun, I hope it's with someone who feels the same way you do! It'll give me time to either run or split his skull, while he tries to figure it out.
Old May 5, 2017, 03:03 PM   #19
adamBomb

So I went to a local shop today. I held pretty much everything mentioned and talked to the owner for about an hour if not more. The sig 238 felt really good, better than the kimber and colt (to me at least). Very solid. I also held the bodyguard, it felt good too. The safety seemed a little awkward. Now I don't know what to do haha.

So here is a question (maybe a dumb one as I have never a 1911 style gun) for the p238 guys...what happens if that safety goes off and I am pocket carrying with the hammer back...

Last edited by adamBomb; May 5, 2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old May 5, 2017, 03:25 PM   #20
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Are you totally against something like a J frame revolver such as the 642?
They don't have safeties do they. If the OP is uncomfortable with the ultimate safety of a long DAO trigger pull like the LCP he already has, what will make him feel better about the same exact thing in a revolver?
Silly I know, but just to point out the uselessness of a manual safety on a DAO pistol like the LCP.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 5, 2017, 03:28 PM   #21
Cheapshooter

Quote:
So here is a question (maybe a dumb one as I have never a 1911 style gun) for the p238 guys...what happens if that safety goes off and I am pocket carrying with the hammer back..
You end up with a cocked single action pistol in your pocket with the safety off. Unlike a DAO revolver, or the LCP you already have that will never be cocked without you intentionally making a long double action trigger pull.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 5, 2017, 04:42 PM   #22
DaleA

Quote:
You end up with a cocked single action pistol in your pocket with the safety off.
Yup. And according to the specs of the P238 listed here:
https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p238-...o-compact.html

7.5 pounds pressure on the trigger will fire the gun.

P.S. If you talked to the owner for an hour about this I hope you bought something at the store. Maybe this was where you got your LCP?

I'd never advise somebody NOT to buy a gun (I think that would get you on double secret probation on this site) but I'm thinking the LCP you already have might be the best for your purposes. But heck, buy the other one (or two) and see what you like the best. Life is short.
Old May 5, 2017, 04:50 PM   #23
adamBomb

Quote:
P.S. If you talked to the owner for an hour about this I hope you bought something at the store. Maybe this was where you got your LCP?
I didn't but I completely agree with you. I told him I would be making my purchase there for the time he spent helping me out.
Old May 5, 2017, 05:12 PM   #24
RickB

If the safety on my P938 is any indication, there is absolutely zero chance that the safety is going work its way off; the detent is very positive, and the safety hardly extends beyond the frame at all (not nearly enough, had I been consulted).
I think I'd put the gun in a pocket holster, then in the pocket. I wouldn't want the gun rolling around, collecting lint and stuff; the holster ensures that it's in the same place, every time.
Old May 5, 2017, 08:00 PM   #25
Screwball

If you look at the P238, I'd say look at the P938. Not that 9mm is the awesome caliber... but A LOT cheaper to shoot. Not that much recoil for a small 9mm.

I still have a LCP, but .380 was killing me with practice/carry ammo. Moved to the P938, but my other carry gun was a S&W 642-1.

Not that big of a .38 fan, so I did the same with the SIG... replaced it with a 9mm.

Had a 9mm converted cylinder fitted, and now I have a 9mm Airweight.