The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 20, 2011, 08:50 AM   #1
2003flht

question on CTcompliant AR

being in CT, we are restricted on the type or AR's we can own... of course..... threaded barrels specifically. muzzle breaks have to be permanently attached.

Is there a way i can leagally suppress my AR (Stag Model 1) rifle? Can i permanently attach a suppressor? Can i attach it by means other than threading? I have an idea of attachment that doesnt require threading, but i was curious if it can be done legally.....

Thanks!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...Wow! What a ride!"

Give a Liberal a fish, he'll ask for seconds. Teach a Liberal to fish, he'll sign up for unemployment...
Old October 20, 2011, 09:51 AM   #2
Skans

I think the first question is whether you can have suppressors in CT - I don't know the answer to that.

Someone made a suppressor with a "quick-connect" method of attachment. I believe that the barrel had to be modified for this, I don't recall. I've seen muzzle breaks that have are quick-connect attached rather than screwed on.

Last edited by Skans; October 20, 2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old October 20, 2011, 10:27 AM   #3
David Hineline

CT looks good to go for silencers, I know they allow machineguns if they are full auto only, easily done in a M16.

Where I am a silencer can be permanantly welded to a short barrel and it becomes not a short barrel if the barrel/silencer overall is greater than 16". It is also a flash hider by regs federal, so you will need check with CT to know if this can be put on a semi auto.

I would contact this man, he will know all.

http://www.ctgunlawyer.com/nfa_trusts.html
Old October 20, 2011, 11:01 AM   #4
2003flht

CT is suppressor friendly, as i currently own a YHM Mite for my Ruger 22/45... I also have design a suppressor for my Savage 10FP and am waiting to file my form 1 to build it. I would also like to do one for my Stag as well. I was thinking of a quick detach method for it.

Thanks Dave, for the link.... I'll have to contact him regarding this.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...Wow! What a ride!"

Give a Liberal a fish, he'll ask for seconds. Teach a Liberal to fish, he'll sign up for unemployment...
Old October 29, 2011, 05:30 PM   #5
kimbershot

basically you are screwed unless you own a preban, that's why you see gun ct shops offering prebans @ 1500+ and out of state sellers offering off list prebans at such high prices.

remember--evil feature count-lug, threaded, yadda yadda. ct allows muzzle breaks or just a plain jane crowned barrel. a suppressor is also a flash hider--so forget about welding it on.

i am moving to sc from ct next month. i was down there last week, where i was fondling a tommy gun, ak47 and all the black rifles i could fathom. black rifles @ $500 to whatever. i am having a hankering for the tommy gun.
Old October 29, 2011, 07:12 PM   #6
Willie Lowman

Suppressor mount muzzle brakes are available.

If you can have a perm attached muzzle brake you can have something like this for your suppressor mount.

http://www.surefire.com/MuzzleBrakeAdapter
Old October 30, 2011, 01:42 AM   #7
Bill DeShivs

I can't believe Willie is the only one posting in this thread that knows they are muzzle BRAKES, not breaks!