The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old November 20, 2006, 01:07 PM   #26
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Yes, but when you have had a post edited without knowing who or why it was done it is kinda hard to send a PM to the mod."

OK, that is, in my opinion, a valid observation.

A number of times (maybe 4 or 5) over the years my posts have been edited with no explanation why. I only know that something I put into the post is now missing.

Most of the time, though, I've been contacted and either given the opportunity to edit my own post if it's something objectionable, or have received a PM stating the reasons why my post was edited.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 20, 2006, 06:22 PM   #27
UH1-D Rotorhead

Hmmmmmm...............

.....I have noticed that a lot of threads get padlocked for a variety of reasons, and in most cases, an explanation is given. All of us are invited guests on these forums, and the reality is that one is not free to run wild with a host of what if's, and would you do this, or do you agree with that, or which is better, ad nauseum...the bottom line....the party is over when the host says it's over...not real hard to understand.
Old November 20, 2006, 11:14 PM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Yes, but when you have had a post edited without knowing who or why it was done it is kinda hard to send a PM to the mod.
If I had a post edited without knowing who did it, I'd PM one (or all) of the mods of the particular subforum that the post was in. They're listed on the extreme right of the subforum index.
Old December 4, 2006, 07:44 PM   #29
C Philip

To the original poster:
You overlook the fact that the thread which your example post is from was reopened.
Old December 4, 2006, 09:47 PM   #30
Mal H
Staff

But, C Philip, that was precisely John's point. A thread was closed; a PM to the moderator stating the case for the thread was sent; the thread was re-opened after due consideration.
Old December 7, 2006, 05:48 PM   #31
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Threads should never be closed at TFL without reason. Other than Trolling, posts should never be edited without explanation, either in a footnote to the post or PM to the Member.

If there are valid claims that such is happening anonymously, Staff would like to know. Personally, I've yet to witness any such case.
Rich
Old December 8, 2006, 04:58 AM   #32
skeeter1

Once in a blue moon, I've been chastised by one of the mods. And you know what? I couldn't disagree with them. They were right.

Enjoy the forums. These are the best I've found.
Old December 8, 2006, 12:19 PM   #33
zzirg

there are those of us who can tell you the molecular componants that make up a steel barrel ,does that mean we should rule out those who only know what pistol the barrel is made for? I am most likely not making freinds here by saying this but some how it seems to me that a lot of people must have been born with the knowledge they have.These days instead of reading a book or asking their dad a question young people are using the computor and forums just like these to get their answers to their questions.I think they all deserve answers to their questions no matter what......there is no such thing as a ignorant question.
Old December 8, 2006, 12:27 PM   #34
Mal H
Staff

Excellent point, zzirg, and food for thought for the next time anyone feels the need to put down a questioner for what seems like a silly or trollish question.
Old December 8, 2006, 05:33 PM   #35
38splfan

Points.

On that most recent point, I try very hard not to bash or object to a question, lest it be an obvious troll (sales, anti, advertising for airsoft, etc).
However, for obvious questions, I do like to encourage the use of the search bar first. If you can't find an answer there, or need new or refreshed info, then post and most will be happy to oblige.

Quote:
Venture over to the SKS boards and you'll be amazed at the most popular threads, and come to really appreciate proactive moderation. One of my favorites was a two page thread started by a guy asking how to go about filling/sealing HP's with mercury. There's also another 3 or 4 pager on fallout shelters.
I think the reason that the moderators seem so "lock happy" to some people here is that they are trying to avoid that type of crap. Every year, things get a little tighter for gun owners. Like it or not all of our recent victories, even the sunset of the '94 ban, have been small in comparison to what is attempted every session of Congress. Concurrently, new boards are popping up all the time, and many of them do nothing but reinforce the view of gun owners as right-wing extremist facist hillbilly idiots.

I think that the mods here are trying to provide a professional, controlled, legitimate representation of gun owners as level-headed and law-abiding citizens who play a legitimate role in mainstream society.

It may come off a bit harsh to people at times, but they seem to be truly interested in a positive portrayal of the firearms community, so cheers to them for their efforts.
Old December 8, 2006, 09:03 PM   #36
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yeah, but can you turn a hollowpoint into a fall-out shelter?

Old December 8, 2006, 09:34 PM   #37
45RackerTracker

Mike

What?????
Old December 9, 2006, 01:58 PM   #38
Mike Irwin
Staff

Tracker,

Read the white quote box in message 35.

You'll get what I was getting at.

Old December 9, 2006, 02:23 PM   #39
45RackerTracker

Mike

sorry, I must be dense. I read that previously, reread it and still don't get it.