The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 26, 2021, 12:23 PM   #26
Centurion

For me, it is not a matter of price, but of value. So my concern is still what is giving this revolvers its high value, other than their supposed resistance to a high quantity of high power cartridges shooting.
Old May 26, 2021, 12:41 PM   #27
Classic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarw View Post
It hardly matters how much they sell for or the value of an item if you are not interested in owning it.

Here is one that closed at auction last evening. The hammer fell at $2,900.00. The winner will also have to pay the buyer's premium and I am sure sales tax since it was an onsite winning bid. I think the revolver was refinished but can't swear to it since I think it should of been blued. This one is older since it was produced prior to Champuis Armes production 21 years ago.

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Mi...ation/61047027

That is a crazy price. I imagine the buyer did not know that it is not an original finish, but most likely the refinish of a very worn police revolver like this

Old May 26, 2021, 12:45 PM   #28
Classic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
That's what I was talking about in several of my postings. I cannot see where Manurhin revolvers get such high value from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
For me, it is not a matter of price, but of value. So my concern is still what is giving this revolvers its high value, other than their supposed resistance to a high quantity of high power cartridges shooting.

I think part of the value is the resale value down the years.

Pythons have become pricey, but clean old example will likely keep appreciating. Same for Swiss made Sig P210.

Like I said I bought mine new for $ 2000.- 12 years ago, now they cost $ 3000.-
Old May 26, 2021, 04:24 PM   #29
FITASC

Same for my HK P7s - they now sell for more than I pad for two of mine combined.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 26, 2021, 05:06 PM   #30
Centurion

But HKP7s are collectibles, they aren't being manufactured anymore...
Old May 26, 2021, 06:23 PM   #31
bac1023

Quote:
But HKP7s are collectibles, they aren't being manufactured anymore...
Your point is? I don’t follow.

Are you familiar with SA revolvers? Compare a $3000 Freedom Arms with an $800 Ruger Blackhawk and explain your findings.

Same difference
Old May 26, 2021, 08:34 PM   #32
wild cat mccane

Totally agree. The Ruger is worth more.

If the Ruger goes up 100 dollars in value at 800 dollars start but the Freedom goes up 300 but cost $3K at the start...The Freedom had a high entry cost, higher total dollar risk, smaller market for resell, and less percent return--all the while you could have scored 3 Rugers to do the above at the Freedom's cost. At no point was the Freedom a better resale value.

It's cool. No one is saying this MR73 isn't cool. $3K cool? No one has made a good case for it. Not really...at all.
Old May 26, 2021, 08:54 PM   #33
bac1023

Quote:
Totally agree. The Ruger is worth more.

If the Ruger goes up 100 dollars in value at 800 dollars start but the Freedom goes up 300 but cost $3K at the start...The Freedom had a high entry cost, higher total dollar risk, smaller market for resell, and less percent return--all the while you could have scored 3 Rugers to do the above at the Freedom's cost. At no point was the Freedom a better resale value.

It's cool. No one is saying this MR73 isn't cool. $3K cool? No one has made a good case for it. Not really...at all.
Hmm…let’s try this instead…do you know anything about the MR73?

Why would anyone need to make a case for it to convince someone who is happy with dime a dozen revolvers? The MR does not need justification. It’s been selling for big bucks for many years and will just continue to go up. One of mine is a first year model unfired in box. It’s easily worth double what these new models are priced at.

…and if you think the Blackhawk is equal to a Freedom Arms in any way, my advice is to stick to Rugers.

If you’re happy with that stuff, more power to you. Sometimes I wish I was. I’d have been long since retired
Old May 27, 2021, 08:52 AM   #34
wild cat mccane

I mean, I'm the guy that easily proved lots of gun magazine articles spouted circular nonses that the GIGN currently fields this magical revolver...They don't.

I did bring up hand de burring is typically cited as a 12 hour process and I responded that this is an interesting thing that happens to it...but so what?

I mentioned that no ammunition exists that gets close to the rumor only 50% above CIP rating this gun is only rumored to support. I mentioned since a ruptured case is going to end any revolver, that rumor was kinda bogus to begin with. Anyone want to test this rumor with a ruptured case at 50% great than CIP? Okay...enjoy your new speak to text feature.

The mention of the strength of the barrel is interesting, but I mentioned Underwood isn't shooting out 568s/686s.

4,000 a made a year. Okay. Yep, it's a self made exclusive item...ok. Doesn't answer a thing towards the value of it.

I think I've seen better targets from the gent that posted his targets with one.

Price does matter since a stock 686/586 can get double action trigger jobs. Single action trigger can't be anything better than the S&W, cause there is nothing wrong with it. Weight is adjustable.

I think it's totally fair to bring up price. If the Python at $2K gets sold but also abused for price, a $3k gun can get the same treatment with more than "you just don't get it" statements. Everything about this revolver is a rumor. Most of them are "Okay, so..." rumors.

I mean, if you buying it as a collector, great. But if you aren't shooting it past what anyone things a 686 can last, the point of high metallurgical superiority to outlast a competitor is a bit silly.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; May 27, 2021 at 09:18 AM.
Old May 27, 2021, 09:27 AM   #35
lamarw

It is 400 per year and not 4,000. Please see post #5 above.
Old May 27, 2021, 09:41 AM   #36
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
I mean, I'm the guy that easily proved lots of gun magazine articles spouted circular nonses that the GIGN currently fields this magical revolver...They don't.

I did bring up hand de burring is typically cited as a 12 hour process and I responded that this is an interesting thing that happens to it...but so what?

I mentioned that no ammunition exists that gets close to the rumor only 50% above CIP rating this gun is only rumored to support. I mentioned since a ruptured case is going to end any revolver, that rumor was kinda bogus to begin with. Anyone want to test this rumor with a ruptured case at 50% great than CIP? Okay...enjoy your new speak to text feature.

The mention of the strength of the barrel is interesting, but I mentioned Underwood isn't shooting out 568s/686s.

4,000 a made a year. Okay. Yep, it's a self made exclusive item...ok. Doesn't answer a thing towards the value of it.

I think I've seen better targets from the gent that posted his targets with one.

Price does matter since a stock 686/586 can get double action trigger jobs. Single action trigger can't be anything better than the S&W, cause there is nothing wrong with it. Weight is adjustable.

I think it's totally fair to bring up price. If the Python at $2K gets sold but also abused for price, a $3k gun can get the same treatment with more than "you just don't get it" statements. Everything about this revolver is a rumor. Most of them are "Okay, so..." rumors.

I mean, if you buying it as a collector, great. But if you aren't shooting it past what anyone things a 686 can last, the point of high metallurgical superiority to outlast a competitor is a bit silly.
I'm with you in all what you say. Totally.
Old May 27, 2021, 10:43 AM   #37
Jim Watson

I have an MR73 that was an actual police service weapon, not a fresh shiny piece of Ballistic Sculpture.

Back in the Paper Age, I read about the MR73 in the print gunzine 'Combat Handguns' and saw a print Gun List advertisement for Vienna SWAT surplus revolvers. Price about the same as a new S&W. But, hey, Old World Craftsmanship, right?
So I got Howard at the local dealer to order one up and it appeared in a reasonable time. About $6 UPS, too, they hadn't discovered the profit center/employee theft reduction benefits of mandatory airmail.

It is holster worn like any ex-cop gun, if not as bad as the one in post 27. What doesn't show is the considerable end shake. The Vienna PD must have practiced a lot. Fortunately, Ron Power K-Smith end shake shims fit.

The rubber Trausch grips are ok for my medium-small hand but if you have large hands you might want to do some sanding. Or get Nills for a nice new gun.

The DA trigger pull is smooth, but not particularly light, even twiddling the dual strain screws did not make a lot of difference, if reliable ignition was to be maintained.
The trigger is sharply serrated and square cornered, and the through hole for the trigger stop screw roughens it more. Not what We Colonials want for an easy DA pull.

One advantage is smooth chambers. It ejects better than my Colts and Smiths.
Another is the "barn-door" rear sight. Apparently the Vienna SWAT wanted adjustable sights and they are good ones. But their holsters didn't have sight tracks, the front ramp blade is quite worn.

So, what does the shooter get? Nothing out of the ordinary that I can tell.
Great durability is claimed - not the red herring of the catastrophic overload, but many many standard Magnums. OK, somebody take 150,000 rounds and call back in the morning.
Old May 27, 2021, 11:09 AM   #38
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
I have an MR73 that was an actual police service weapon, not a fresh shiny piece of Ballistic Sculpture.

Back in the Paper Age, I read about the MR73 in the print gunzine 'Combat Handguns' and saw a print Gun List advertisement for Vienna SWAT surplus revolvers. Price about the same as a new S&W. But, hey, Old World Craftsmanship, right?
So I got Howard at the local dealer to order one up and it appeared in a reasonable time. About $6 UPS, too, they hadn't discovered the profit center/employee theft reduction benefits of mandatory airmail.

It is holster worn like any ex-cop gun, if not as bad as the one in post 27. What doesn't show is the considerable end shake. The Vienna PD must have practiced a lot. Fortunately, Ron Power K-Smith end shake shims fit.

The rubber Trausch grips are ok for my medium-small hand but if you have large hands you might want to do some sanding. Or get Nills for a nice new gun.

The DA trigger pull is smooth, but not particularly light, even twiddling the dual strain screws did not make a lot of difference, if reliable ignition was to be maintained.
The trigger is sharply serrated and square cornered, and the through hole for the trigger stop screw roughens it more. Not what We Colonials want for an easy DA pull.

One advantage is smooth chambers. It ejects better than my Colts and Smiths.
Another is the "barn-door" rear sight. Apparently the Vienna SWAT wanted adjustable sights and they are good ones. But their holsters didn't have sight tracks, the front ramp blade is quite worn.

So, what does the shooter get? Nothing out of the ordinary that I can tell.
Great durability is claimed - not the red herring of the catastrophic overload, but many many standard Magnums. OK, somebody take 150,000 rounds and call back in the morning.
That's a good answer and the kind of one I was asking for.

I still cannot see where the value of these revolvers come from, other some touches of hand craftsmanship and a very good propaganda.
Old May 27, 2021, 03:54 PM   #39
44caliberkid

The price really doesn't bother me. But I would still rather have 3 S&W 586/ 686's with trigger jobs than one Manurhin.
Old May 27, 2021, 05:27 PM   #40
handlerer2

Have you ever noticed the resentment of some people towards anything that is both expensive and praised?

This pistol is one of those items that if you have to consider the cost, then you can't afford it. I would absolutely rather have one Manurin than three S&W's. I simply admire quality. I have owned S&W pistols in the past and was as content with them as I was with any other firearms, I owned.

Will it do anything that an American revolver will not do? Nope. It has no features that my S&W's don't have.

I own a couple of deluxe rifles, a Cooper MDL 22 varmint rifle, and a Weatherby MKV deluxe, a late 60's model, made by Saur and Sons, left to me by one of my uncles. These rifles are beautiful examples of the art of rifle making. I really mean art.

I don't really understand peoples resentment of items they can't or won't afford. Anytime a thread like these is posted, it brings out the whiners and snivelers. They try to diminish the object anyway they can.

Why would anyone feel diminished by not owning, a certain pistol or rifle? It's not a competition.
Old May 27, 2021, 05:40 PM   #41
bac1023

I totally agree.

What’s even funnier is that this revolver has been around for decades. People never even knew about it since it was a largely custom built and fairly low production revolver made in Europe. Now that a big name is importing them, people who have no clue are suddenly coming out of the woodwork to pass judgement.

If anyone would rather have three S&W 686’s over an MR73, more power to you. Unless you’re shooting competition and need multiple copies, I don’t get the concept. Three is no better than one, in my opinion. Quality is the same, which is very, very pedestrian.

I’ll take quality over quantity any day. To each their own. I happen to like the best stuff.
Old May 27, 2021, 11:55 PM   #42
Classic12

Why can’t we be all friends ?

Old May 28, 2021, 09:00 AM   #43
wild cat mccane

I can tell you what my eye thinks is the uglier of the three. Since we are talking about it

I dislike the Python for it's documented weak action and ridiculous current pricing. However, it's the best looking of the that group. The bigger ribbing taking the height of the first sight post on the other two makes the Python stand out as being beefier, but in a sharp way.

(looking, it's that the under lug lines don't extend to the crane line break lines. Makes the barrel look odd/small on the MR73)

Last edited by wild cat mccane; May 28, 2021 at 09:05 AM.
Old May 28, 2021, 06:45 PM   #44
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic12 View Post
Why can’t we be all friends ?

What, no GP100? These are all beautiful guns, but my grail gun is a 90%+ S&W Model 27. I’m just not that big a fan of the under lug barrels.
Old May 28, 2021, 09:35 PM   #45
wild cat mccane

"If you were blind folded and someone put this gun in your hand to shoot, would you know you're holding the best revolver made or would you shoot better than a S&W? No." minute 7:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJZwhrxokGA

Cool collector item and don't doubt the strength. Good luck on the MR73.
Old May 28, 2021, 10:17 PM   #46
bac1023

It’s not a “collector item”. It’s perhaps the strongest and most durable DA 357 revolver in the world and one of the most accurate, best fit, nicest finished, etc, etc.

Sure the early models have collector appeal. The current production models are built to be the best DA revolvers around.

Enjoy your L frame S&W
Old May 29, 2021, 12:27 AM   #47
Classic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
What, no GP100? These are all beautiful guns, but my grail gun is a 90%+ S&W Model 27. I’m just not that big a fan of the under lug barrels.

No GP 100, yet

But I have a 27

Old May 29, 2021, 02:51 AM   #48
Geezerbiker

Pretty 27. I have almost the same gun but not nearly as handsome, it's an early 28. I have to say it's my hands down favorite revolver.

Dumb question, is there not US made equivalent or better to that French revolver?

Tony
Old May 29, 2021, 05:14 AM   #49
jetinteriorguy

That’s a beautiful 27, make it a 4” for around $1500.00 and I’d be all over it. Oh, and if someone handed me a MR73 I’d love to shoot it and see what it’s all about.
Old May 29, 2021, 07:47 AM   #50
bac1023

Beautiful revolvers, Classic12

I need to post some pics