The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 19, 2018, 08:51 PM   #1
hogwiley

How bad is the HK USP fullsize DA trigger?

I've kicked around the idea of getting a full size USP 40 for a home defense gun, but there's one thing holding me back. I've heard that the DA trigger is super long and heavy.

How does it compare to say a Sig classic DA trigger? I owned a P226 and p228, and while it took some practice I was eventually able to master the DA trigger enough that I felt confident with it, but that was a 9 lb trigger and Sigs triggers are known for being smooth. I've read the USP is a lot worse, and its listed as 12 lbs.

I live in a remote area, so trying one out isn't really possible. Is the USP DA trigger really that bad?
Old June 19, 2018, 08:56 PM   #2
WVsig

It is great if you like a 12 lb DA trigger attached to a 2x4 for a grip. It is that bad. I have owned a few and always sold them after a short time. There are better less expensive guns for that roll. IMHO the P226 is better than any Stock USP.
Old June 19, 2018, 09:07 PM   #3
TunnelRat

Swapping out the hammer spring on the USP is pretty easy, and you could always go the match trigger route if you wanted. Fullsize HK USPs in 40SW can be found used for pretty cheap currently. Depends on if it's worth it to you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; June 19, 2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old June 19, 2018, 09:09 PM   #4
hogwiley

So the grip is that bad as well? I didn't get the impression it was any fatter than a p226, which before the e2 grips wasn't exactly slim itself.
Old June 19, 2018, 09:13 PM   #5
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwiley View Post
So the grip is that bad as well? I didn't get the impression it was any fatter than a p226, which before the e2 grips wasn't exactly slim itself.
It is not a matter of slim vs thick it is its shape.
Old June 19, 2018, 09:14 PM   #6
TunnelRat

Quote:
It is not a matter of slim vs thick it is its shape.
I don't feel like it's any more blocky than a Glock though.
Maintain situational awareness
Old June 19, 2018, 09:17 PM   #7
hogwiley

How does the overall girth of the grip compare to a glock though? is it thicker and longer? I have average to slightly above average sized hands. The p226 felt fine, but a thicker blockier grip along with an even heavier DA trigger doesn't sound conducive to fast accurate shooting or a smooth DA to SA transition.
Old June 19, 2018, 09:22 PM   #8
TunnelRat

Stock it's not as nice as a P series trigger, it just isn't. The hammer spring can be swapped with one from Wolff for not much money or effort. The match kit is also an option, though by the time you add that you've upped the cost. You can find LE trade ins right now for say $450-$500. Starting at that price it might be worth. At the full close to $900 price, then no frankly I'd go with something else. Keep in mind if you want to mount a light or laser you'll likely need an adapter from say GG&G for more modern offerings.

https://gunprime.com/product/hk-usp-...e-trade-usp40/
Old June 19, 2018, 09:25 PM   #9
hogwiley

Yeah a used one is what im looking at. All the match trigger kits I've seen online were sold out, and weren't exactly cheap. Im also not sure how much that lightens the DA trigger, it didn't sound like much. Just makes it smoother was my impression.
Old June 19, 2018, 09:28 PM   #10
hogwiley

Anyone know how the HK45 DA trigger compares? Is it any better than the USP? I haven't been able to find out what the trigger weight is, even HKs website doesn't list it.
Old June 19, 2018, 09:30 PM   #11
TunnelRat

No it definitely lightens it, depending on the mainspring you use. I was usually able to bring the pull down to 8-9 lb. and still have very reliable primer ignition with just spring swaps. The match kit gives you a notably better single action and with the overtravel stop a shorter reset. USP triggers are actually pretty smooth once you lighten them (the parts are smooth even in stock config). They're not what I'd call gritty.

Does look like hkparts.net is out currently. I've been told that you can call HK and order it direct as well. FWIW I have one lying around here that I'd sell for say $80 shipped USPS priority. I used it for about 100 rds. No pressure, just putting it out there.

Old June 19, 2018, 09:32 PM   #12
TunnelRat

The HK45 and HK USP are practically the same trigger. The HK45 might actually use the match kit hammer by default though, but honestly it's been a few years since I was really into HKs.
Old June 19, 2018, 09:50 PM   #13
hogwiley

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. I doubt I'll go with an HK though.

I'll probably go with a glock 22, which I can get for the same price new, and cheap .40 LE trade in glocks are a dime a dozen these days. I'm just a little wary of glock after years of messing with a gen 4 glock 23 that will rarely go 200 rounds without an FTE. I've had more failures with that gun than every other gun I've ever shot combined, and I rarely shoot it.

At least HK will reliably eject a spent casing, and without randomly spitting it back at my head even.
Old June 19, 2018, 09:51 PM   #14
TunnelRat

So out of curiosity, why not call Glock and get them to fix it?
Old June 19, 2018, 10:01 PM   #15
hogwiley

I guess I should do that eh. They did send me a new and supposedly improved recoil spring, and I thought all was well until a range outing where there it was again, a spent casing stuck horizontally in the gun using factory ammo.

I just get the impression a lot of early gen 4's were lemons. I've read everything from recoil springs to ejectors to extractors to poorly machined slides(in which case nothing you do will permanently fix it).
Old June 19, 2018, 10:09 PM   #16
TunnelRat

As someone that had a number of early Gen 4s I agree many had issues. Glock should make it right for you though. It's their product to stand behind. People have posted stories of Glock going to pretty impressive lengths to fix issues. Of course they might not, but hey worth the effort.
Old June 20, 2018, 12:13 AM   #17
HistoryJunky

The USP45 I shot had one of the worst DA triggers Ive ever shot.

My CZ-85B is better.
My P07 is better.
Even my Taurus PT92C has a better DA trigger, and thats a $300 gun.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old June 20, 2018, 12:25 AM   #18
cslinger

Keep in mind if you run crappy/light ammo in a new HK you will probably have failures or back to face issues until they break in. Just FYI. HKs like hot and or heavy ammo early on.

HK triggers are well......they are what they are. They are combat triggers designed to run with gloves and set off any primer known. Which is a nice way of saying they pretty much suck.

That being said they are incredible hard use, combat handguns. Learn them and it’s hard to beat them for honest to by God Armageddon guns.

That being said ALL guns have issues/quirks etc. your Glock issues are not generally the norm and could totally happen in an HK if you “win the lottery” with them.

I like HKs, more specifically the P series guns and the HK45 series. That being said trigger (stock) is not the selling point.
Old June 20, 2018, 12:40 AM   #19
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslinger View Post
Keep in mind if you run crappy/light ammo in a new HK you will probably have failures or back to face issues until they break in. Just FYI. HKs like hot and or heavy ammo early on.

HK triggers are well......they are what they are. They are combat triggers designed to run with gloves and set off any primer known. Which is a nice way of saying they pretty much suck.

That being said they are incredible hard use, combat handguns. Learn them and it’s hard to beat them for honest to by God Armageddon guns.

That being said ALL guns have issues/quirks etc. your Glock issues are not generally the norm and could totally happen in an HK if you “win the lottery” with them.

I like HKs, more specifically the P series guns and the HK45 series. That being said trigger (stock) is not the selling point.
In over a dozen HKs I only had one that had poor ejection, and it was a P30 that took close to 1000 rds to break in (the other P30 I had didn't have that issue). The rest ejected like Swiss watches from day one. In owning the same number of Glocks not one of them has had as nice of an ejection pattern as my HKs did. As you said, each pistol has its quirks.

Old June 20, 2018, 06:55 AM   #20
Cosmodragoon

The FNX 40 and the PX4 in .40 are both more attractive options in my opinion. The latter not only has a good trigger but is also the softest shooting polymer-framed forty I've come across.
Old June 20, 2018, 07:14 AM   #21
ttarp

I've only fired a USP with a stock trigger once, and too long ago to remark about how it felt. I do however, have a pair of USP Experts, which come with the match trigger installed, and they are very nice triggers.
Old June 20, 2018, 08:52 AM   #22
sigarms228

Most modern HK poly pistols can have the DA trigger pull easily improved as already mentioned with the possible exception of the HK45 Compact.

In addition to the hammer spring HK also manufactures a lighter firing pin block spring that also helps. I changed the hammer spring and FPBS on my P30L and it was a very noticeable improvement on DA to under 9 LBs and very smooth. The SA trigger release was always very nice on my P30L.

Link to the HK lighter FPBS HK part# 209296 and usually the best place to buy parts is direct from HK as far as availability and pricing.

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Firi...ight-p1955.htm
Old June 20, 2018, 08:56 AM   #23
sigarms228

Quote:
Anyone know how the HK45 DA trigger compares? Is it any better than the USP? I haven't been able to find out what the trigger weight is, even HKs website doesn't list it.
The HK45 DA trigger pull should be about the same but again very inexpensive and easy to improve.

Personally I am not a fan of the USP series as they just do not fit me well and you are pretty much stuck with the grip as is other than rubber sleeve. USP does not offer changeable back straps like newer HKs. The P30 series even has changeable palm inserts. You might also want to look into the HK P30 or P30L in .40 (or 9MM) which now are available around $550 new these days. P30 series is available with and without safety.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_...3-A5?view=list
Old June 20, 2018, 09:01 AM   #24
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigarms228 View Post
Most modern HK poly pistols can have the DA trigger pull easily improved as already mentioned with the possible exception of the HK45 Compact.

In addition to the hammer spring HK also manufactures a lighter firing pin block spring that also helps. I changed the hammer spring and FPBS on my P30L and it was a very noticeable improvement on DA to under 9 LBs and very smooth. The SA trigger release was always very nice on my P30L.

Link to the HK lighter FPBS HK part# 209296 and usually the best place to buy parts is direct from HK as far as availability and pricing.

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Firi...ight-p1955.htm
Excellent point about the light FPBS. It really takes the stacking out of the end of the pull. A lot of the new production pistols already have one, but a used model likely won't.

Last edited by TunnelRat; June 20, 2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old June 20, 2018, 09:47 AM   #25
Cyanide971

Quote:
How does the overall girth of the grip compare to a glock though? is it thicker and longer? I have average to slightly above average sized hands. The p226 felt fine, but a thicker blockier grip along with an even heavier DA trigger doesn't sound conducive to fast accurate shooting or a smooth DA to SA transition.

Hopefully these help you out a little, several images of my old DAO USP Compact and Glock 19. The DAO model had a very nice, smooth 8 pound trigger pull compared to the twelve pound range on the DA/SA models.