The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 17, 2018, 05:32 PM   #1
PushPuller

Im CZ hungry, but dont know what for.

Well...… I bought my 75B about 6 months ago and since then have fell in love with CZ handguns. Iv been patiently waiting to purchase another and in the downtime have had several models grow on me. This purchase is purposeless so there isn't one feature in particular that I feel I NEED.

The compact models have all been attention grabbing especially the PCR. The Stainless 75B models are definitely on the list but CZ has a broad enough range of options I feel like I could be missing out on variation for the sake of cosmetics. Then there is the SP-01 that I didn't get simply because I had my eyes set on the 75B.

My only preference is all metal models. although I have looked into polymer models and DO like them, I feel like I can wait on them for now.

What do you guys suggest I look into? or what are you personal favorites? As this will most likely be just a range gun safety/decocker features, night sights, loaded chamber indicator aren't anything set in stone.
Old June 17, 2018, 06:04 PM   #2
WVsig

You need to get a CZ unicorn... You need an all steel P01.

Old June 17, 2018, 06:20 PM   #3
tallball

I like my full-sized 40 caliber and 45acp versions a lot.

If you haven't tried them, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Tanfoglio "clones".
Old June 17, 2018, 06:30 PM   #4
10-96

I have a 75BD, which was my first CZ, and my second one was the 75 D PCR. The compact was my primary CC/Off duty pistol for quite a few years until I picked up my P10. Those are the only 3 CZ pistols I have direct experience with. I added night sights to my PCR, but other than that, they are just the way I bought them (except for replacement springs and guide rods). Based on my experience, I think you would be happy with a decocker, and probably really happy with the 75 D PCR.

If you're into modifications and upgrades, Cajun Gun Works may be of interest. But personally, I've been extremely happy with mine just as they are with the exception of adding the night sights to the compact.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 17, 2018, 06:47 PM   #5
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-96 View Post
I have a 75BD, which was my first CZ, and my second one was the 75 D PCR. The compact was my primary CC/Off duty pistol for quite a few years until I picked up my P10. Those are the only 3 CZ pistols I have direct experience with. I added night sights to my PCR, but other than that, they are just the way I bought them (except for replacement springs and guide rods). Based on my experience, I think you would be happy with a decocker, and probably really happy with the 75 D PCR.

If you're into modifications and upgrades, Cajun Gun Works may be of interest. But personally, I've been extremely happy with mine just as they are with the exception of adding the night sights to the compact.
Have you shot a Pro Package CGW gun? I have shot stock CZs for over 10 years but CGW guns blow them away.
Old June 17, 2018, 06:50 PM   #6
libiglou

Thats funny because I had the same dilemma. The choice was easy because I had too many 9mm guns so I went with the 97B. Picking it up Tuesday. Can't wait to put some rounds through it. The worst part is all the mods you can make to turn them into tackdrivers. The journey begins very soon.
Old June 17, 2018, 06:54 PM   #7
PushPuller

It didn't take CGW very long to come up in discussion haha! Iv actually had full intentions on sending this new prospective CZ to CGW. I think my CZ75 has settled into itself very nicely, and shoots very well. So much so that I don't see it necessary to send it off. But I haven't heard one bad thing about CGW and would like to see what all the hype is about.
Old June 17, 2018, 07:07 PM   #8
PushPuller

Quote:
Thats funny because I had the same dilemma. The choice was easy because I had too many 9mm guns so I went with the 97B. Picking it up Tuesday. Can't wait to put some rounds through it. The worst part is all the mods you can make to turn them into tackdrivers. The journey begins very soon.
Id love to look into the 97B as well. Unfortunately here in Nebraska NOBODY has CZs and without actually holding one I don't think I could bring myself to buy one. I have medium sized and boney hands so they might be a bit big for me. 1911s are pretty much the biggest I can comfortably operate.
Old June 17, 2018, 07:59 PM   #9
2wheelwander

Get the PCR, you will never regret it. I have an 85 and a RAMI. Just telling my cousin this afternoon while we stated into teh gun safe, he asked if I could only keep one pistol, what would it be? Without hesitation I said the PCR. I don't care for a light rail. IMHO, unless you are LE, an Operator, or its your dedicated night stand gun, a light rail is just tacticool. If you want a great carry gun, and rewarding shooter, extremely accurate the list goes on - get a PCR. Once you have that, the rest are just candy.
Old June 17, 2018, 09:43 PM   #10
5whiskey

Quote:
But I haven't heard one bad thing about CGW and would like to see what all the hype is about.
I haven't sent a pistol to CGW, but I have purchased some of their parts and I can tell you there is a night and day difference. I can only imagine what the full work-over package would be like. So... the moral is, CGW deserves every drop of hype that they receive.

As to the new CZ itch... I have two ideas. Either the PCR for a compact route (though you said that you intend for it to be a range gun) or a 97B for a full-size .45 range gun. IMO, the SP-01 doesn't really differ enough from your 75B to justify purchasing such a similar pistol. I know I know... they aren't the same, but they are very similar. You said you were not interested in the polymer guns, but the P07 and P09 series are excellent. And it would be "different" enough to justify the purchase.

And one more thing... MidwayUSA sells firearms now and they have some pretty good prices on CZs. Especially the all metal models. Even considering shipping and transfer fees.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old June 17, 2018, 09:54 PM   #11
jreXD9

Get the PCR or the Rami. My Rami is just as accurate as the PCR. IMO, NOTHING feels as good in the hand as the Rami with the 14 rd mags inserted. The PCR is a little prettier, though. My daughter has my PCR in TX and because I miss it I've been trying to sell my Mod 2 9mm or Mod 2 .45 to fund a second PCR. Not having much luck doing that, though.
Old June 17, 2018, 10:43 PM   #12
10-96

Quote:
Have you shot a Pro Package CGW gun?
WVSig- I handled one in a shop and got to do some dry fires, but I haven't sent anything to them yet, or bought any of their magicness as of yet.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 18, 2018, 12:29 AM   #13
dakota.potts

I wish I hadn't seen that all-steel P-01.... now I want one! lol. I personally have a disdain for polymer guns but the aluminum on my P-01 has actually been an acceptable compromise as it makes it a pretty decent package for concealed carry.

If you want to carry it, the P-01 is highly recommended. If I were going to buy a 3rd CZ for sporting purposes only (and believe me, I've considered it more than once), I would definitely be looking into an SP-01. And I have played around with the idea of dropping a CGW trigger kit into my P-01 and dressing up the grips a little, but I've had it for 2 years with no complaints and no performance issues.
Old June 18, 2018, 01:23 PM   #14
Winny

I've always loved the look of the CZ 75's... the grip angle is just perfect and that skeletonized hammer gets me going!

I've been looking at the Alloy-Framed 75D PCR Compact for a while and they are getting more and more tempting...

Cash is tight at the moment but that may have to be my next pistol!
Old June 18, 2018, 01:54 PM   #15
rt11002003

My favorite CZ is the CZ 75 Tactical Sport. Second favorite is the CZ 97B modified with CGW stuff. Owned a CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Target II, could never warm up to it. I suspect they're all OK. Some better with CGW's parts.
Old June 18, 2018, 04:08 PM   #16
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-96 View Post
WVSig- I handled one in a shop and got to do some dry fires, but I haven't sent anything to them yet, or bought any of their magicness as of yet.
They are addictive and there is no hype involved in what they do. They are building high quality parts and if you send the gun to them they tune it up right.

I am about to send them my Shadow 2. They did great work for me on my 75B and the all steel P01 above. The both have a pro package installed with the race hammer, extended safety and 10X bushing. I went with night sights on the steel P01 and their fiber optic on the 75B. Both are great shooters.

Old June 18, 2018, 05:29 PM   #17
PushPuller

I suspect Ill get the PCR or the P-01, simply because they seem to be the harder models to find as well as the highest in demand. I also gain a realistic carry option that way too. I really cant deny how good the P-01 and PCR looks either.

I bought a recoil spring from CGW but actually, but actually went to a stock recoil spring as I didn't really like the 14# grey spring. It is a nice spring! an I love the color coding that they do, I just preferred the feeling of the stock one and in turn have a nice backup. Does anybody have any idea if CGW does cerakoting? I cant find it as a service on their website.
Old June 18, 2018, 05:31 PM   #18
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushPuller View Post
I suspect Ill get the PCR or the P-01, simply because they seem to be the harder models to find as well as the highest in demand. I also gain a realistic carry option that way too. I really cant deny how good the P-01 and PCR looks either.

I bought a recoil spring from CGW but actually, but actually went to a stock recoil spring as I didn't really like the 14# grey spring. It is a nice spring! an I love the color coding that they do, I just preferred the feeling of the stock one and in turn have a nice backup. Does anybody have any idea if CGW does cerakoting? I cant find it as a service on their website.
The gun above your post was Cerakoted by CGW. They send it out but will take care of the process for you.
Old June 18, 2018, 06:05 PM   #19
PushPuller

Quote:
The gun above your post was Cerakoted by CGW. They send it out but will take care of the process for you.

Awesome! I actually went and looked at their Facebook page...… Now im just drooling and wanting to spend money I don't have
Old June 18, 2018, 07:16 PM   #20
libiglou

God. Stop posting pictures guys. That 75 B is just so sweet. These things are like crack and its even worse when you put one in your hands. I def have an affliction for steel frame guns. Sorry but the plastic ones just don't have any soul and I have 2.
Old June 19, 2018, 06:00 AM   #21
OhioGuy

Go for broke (and go broke!) with a CZ Shadow II. Someone at my range has one that I've shot around with. It's a piece of art. Heavy sucker, too, with almost no muzzle rise at all.
Old June 19, 2018, 08:44 AM   #22
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Go for broke (and go broke!) with a CZ Shadow II. Someone at my range has one that I've shot around with. It's a piece of art. Heavy sucker, too, with almost no muzzle rise at all.
I am shipping my Shadow 2 to CGW today for their upgrade package. The gun is one of the best out of the box $1,000 pistol on the market today. CGW IS GOING TONGET THE DA trigger to 6lbs DA sub 3 lbs on the SA. For about $500 more you have one of the best shooting Production Legal pistols on the planet.

One thing to remember is it does not have a riding pin block. Even in its stock configuration it is really a range competition pistol. It is a heavy beast and ben carrying it around at the range in an open rig it is heavy. It is an amazing gun but it was designed for a specific task.

If I was in the market for a compact all steel CZ i would look tonthe 75B Compact or the all steel P01 but only 400-500 of them have been made and most have been bought by CZ junkies You can install CGW parts yourself or send it to them and for about $1,000 you have an amazing shooter.
Old June 21, 2018, 08:02 AM   #23
Hdonly

Another 2075 fan. Shoots as good as any 9mm that I own (and I have several). All metal and easy to carry.

Old June 21, 2018, 03:25 PM   #24
libiglou

Hdonly

What sight do you have on that Rami? How do you like it? I just got my 97B and the stock sights have got to go.
Old June 21, 2018, 05:31 PM   #25
Hdonly

I have the original sights that came on it in 2009 when I bought it new. I love this gun. It is very reliable with hollow points or ball ammo. I didn't realise that they changed the sights. Mine are fully adjustable.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC160113crop.resized.JPG (201.8 KB, 890 views)

Tags
.45 acp , 9mm , cz75