The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 9, 2018, 02:33 PM   #101
stagpanther

Loaded up some 95 gr SMK's--but ran into a problem right away with the RCBS small base dies--the seat stem isn't configured for that high of an SD 224 bullet--so I was kinda stumped at first when seating bullets--and the more I turned the stem down--the longer the COL's were!! Turns out the bullet meplat was being squeezed and extruded a bit. I shot a few of the lower range charges figuring I probably would blow anything up--but the rest of em I'm going to pull.

I also took the PSA upper apart to see if there might be an alignment issue that I could perhaps fix--to get rid of the brass shavings. The receiver is not lapped--I was going to do it--but then noticed that there really isn't enough depth in the receiver collar to get a really good torque down of the barrel nut--PSA had filled the receiver collar with some kind of goo--actually two kinds of goo--the area at the extension ring looked like it had some kind of packing compound (looked just like grey lapping compound, actually). Unfortunately I didn't have a spare shim--and being kinda anxious to try out the 95 gr SMK's I put it back together sans lapping or shim.

After zeroing, here are two 90 gr federal fusions just to verify the gun was working OK.

I thought, OK looks good to try the SMK's:

As you can plainly see there are huge key-holing issues, even though these loads were running only 80 to 90 fps slower than the fusions.

So here are my over-all conclusions so far: if you're going to run bigger bullets--you have to run them hot to stabilize them. I'm guessing the 6.5 or possibly even 6 twist will be required. My guess is that you'll also need a 22" or better barrel to really get good, stable long range results. It's not that the 224 valk isn't up to the task--but it's a fairly narrow range of appropriate loads depending on how it's configured. An 18 to 20 inch barreled valk throwing a 75 to 80 gr bullet at 3000 fps is still a fine performing configuration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0065.JPG (67.5 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0066.JPG (112.7 KB, 226 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; May 9, 2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old May 9, 2018, 08:13 PM   #102
CarJunkieLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Loaded up some 95 gr SMK's--but ran into a problem right away with the RCBS small base dies--the seat stem isn't configured for that high of an SD 224 bullet--so I was kinda stumped at first when seating bullets--and the more I turned the stem down--the longer the COL's were!! Turns out the bullet meplat was being squeezed and extruded a bit. I shot a few of the lower range charges figuring I probably would blow anything up--but the rest of em I'm going to pull.

I also took the PSA upper apart to see if there might be an alignment issue that I could perhaps fix--to get rid of the brass shavings. The receiver is not lapped--I was going to do it--but then noticed that there really isn't enough depth in the receiver collar to get a really good torque down of the barrel nut--PSA had filled the receiver collar with some kind of goo--actually two kinds of goo--the area at the extension ring looked like it had some kind of packing compound (looked just like grey lapping compound, actually). Unfortunately I didn't have a spare shim--and being kinda anxious to try out the 95 gr SMK's I put it back together sans lapping or shim.

After zeroing, here are two 90 gr federal fusions just to verify the gun was working OK.

I thought, OK looks good to try the SMK's:

As you can plainly see there are huge key-holing issues, even though these loads were running only 80 to 90 fps slower than the fusions.

So here are my over-all conclusions so far: if you're going to run bigger bullets--you have to run them hot to stabilize them. I'm guessing the 6.5 or possibly even 6 twist will be required. My guess is that you'll also need a 22" or better barrel to really get good, stable long range results. It's not that the 224 valk isn't up to the task--but it's a fairly narrow range of appropriate loads depending on how it's configured. An 18 to 20 inch barreled valk throwing a 75 to 80 gr bullet at 3000 fps is still a fine performing configuration.
Which is exactly why I'm not even gonna try the 90 or 95 SMK's. I have shot the 90 Fusion and they shoot well so for hunting those are what I'll use, for paper I'm shoot the 75 ELD and next I plan to move to the 80 ELD.
Old May 9, 2018, 08:30 PM   #103
stagpanther

It's entirely possible that even the minor deformation of the bullet might have contributed to the destabilization. I did these loads with RL17, which gets compressed pretty quickly, I'll try the 2000MR for the bigger bullets next since it's more compact.

Last edited by stagpanther; May 10, 2018 at 05:50 AM.
Old May 14, 2018, 09:38 AM   #104
stagpanther

FYI--I called RCBS to find out if that had an improved seating stem for the newer Sierra bullets--no questions asked, other than where I take my mail--and they sent me one for free. Service like that deserves recognition.
Old May 14, 2018, 12:09 PM   #105
stagpanther

Ahh--this will learn me to spout off before I have the facts--I just opened the package from RCBS--to find that what they had sent was a seat stem to be used as a form--I need to send the actual bullets for them to custom cut the stem. Not free, I might add.
Old May 14, 2018, 04:13 PM   #106
gshayd

Well looking at the comments why do we have a .224 Valkyrie... a faster twist and heavier bullets than a .223 in a smaller rifle than the AR10. Which would be the .224 Valkyrie. Bullet spin is a product of twist rate and velocity.
Old May 16, 2018, 02:16 PM   #107
Road_Clam

My competition Service Rifle AR , 20" 1-7" White Oak barrel and it shoots 80 gr smk/ Nosler CC's with sub moa precision at 200 meters as long as I have not had too much coffee !
Old May 16, 2018, 02:29 PM   #108
stagpanther

Quote:
Bullet spin is a product of twist rate and velocity.
And bullet sectional density.
Old May 18, 2018, 09:34 AM   #109
ed308

ARP just added 22" Vlkyr 6.5 twist barrels with +2 rifle gas system to their inventory. Just order one.

http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/38016/53403

Last edited by ed308; May 18, 2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old May 18, 2018, 10:04 AM   #110
stagpanther

Exactly what I had in mind--I only hope Harrison extended the freebore a bit. It's an obvious limitation to the 224 projectile IMO--as the SD goes up, there's only a few places that extra mass can go--one is down into the case--the other is forward base of ogive and/or longer ogive. At some point that bullet is going to destabilize too easily. I just read his description--I personally have not succeeded with any of the 77+gr VLDs at magazine length, they have to be seated back in order not to jam in my experience so far.

Last edited by stagpanther; May 18, 2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:46 PM   #111
ed308

He posted this on the 6.8 Forum...

Checking the distance to the lands- These measurements are just off the lands.

75ELD- 2.345
80 Berger VLD-2.295
90smk-2.325
95smk-2.360
Old May 19, 2018, 05:19 AM   #112
stagpanther

Intersting--no way I can get that in my chamber with the 80 VLDs--already tried. I can get the cartridge to chamber OK--but the ogive base will constrict where the straight freebore runs out. While the cartridge will successfully fire and cycle--I'm not going to get consistency from my point of view going long from the seating. There is noticeable resistance when dry-cycling a cartridge--in a few instances the bullet was actually pulled from the case and left in the chamber when I pulled the cartridge out. Could be "an early tight chamber cut" in the case of my PSA barrel. I talked to Harrison yesterday and he told me he was going to be testing the new barrels imminently (for ideal loads, I expect). The cartridge is sort of a "split personailty"--do you want to be able to do high-power 90+ gr 1000 yd match shooting--or do you want a "general use high octane 224?" realistically, I probably will very rarely, if ever, be able to do 1000 yd stuff where I live in the east--but you know it's nice to you can if you want. So the vast majority of my shooting will probably be 3000+ fps 70 -80 gr <600 yds. I suspect that is true of most shooters, but it will be interesting to see how this goes since it's a given that 224 bullets in the heavier weights don't really exist in abundance--I strongly suspect we'll see some new entrants soon (I wouldn't be surprised if Hornady has a 90 something ELD in planning)

PS--just noticed the barrels are already sold out--probably should have ordered one while I had the chance. Look forward to reading your results Ed!

Last edited by stagpanther; May 19, 2018 at 05:44 AM.
Old May 19, 2018, 08:28 AM   #113
ed308

It will be awhile before I do any testing since getting ready to move at the end of this month. Downsizing to a smaller home is a lot of work. Hopefully by July I'll make it to the range.

I'm sure Harrison has more barrels to add his website. He frequently adds 10 barrels at a time as a way to control the flow of work. He's only posted 10 of those barrels so far. I suspect he's got 40 22" 6.5 Vlkyr barrels to add to the website at some point and certainly after he returns from being out of town.
Old May 19, 2018, 11:49 AM   #114
ed308

H confirmed on another forum he has more of the 22" barrels. He just put 5 more up. But now down to 4.

The 18" barrels are due in August or September.
Old May 19, 2018, 12:59 PM   #115
stagpanther

Just ordered one.
Old May 19, 2018, 02:13 PM   #116
ed308

Good. You can screw things up so I don't have to! I got to find a 15" rail somewhere. Thinking a cheap Aero M Lok if I can still find one in stock.
Old May 19, 2018, 02:29 PM   #117
stagpanther

Quote:
Good. You can screw things up so I don't have to! I got to find a 15" rail somewhere. Thinking a cheap Aero M Lok if I can still find one in stock.
Yup--screwing things up is what I do best. I'm going to start looking for a good compensator, simple flash suppressor doesn't cut it for me--probably not a bad idea to go with simply a target crown but I think these come threaded no matter what.
Old May 19, 2018, 02:48 PM   #118
ed308

Same as thread size as 6.8 (5/8x24). I'll use a 6.5 Aero Gamma muzzle break on mine. Used one on my 6.5 CM and like it. Does a good job reducing recoil without breaking the bank.

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/vg6-gamma-65.html

Last edited by ed308; May 20, 2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old May 20, 2018, 06:00 AM   #119
stagpanther

I've grown to really like Odin's crusherless tunable brake though it does need to be checked periodically for collar movement. I'll give their 5.56 a go for this barrel.
Old May 20, 2018, 09:22 AM   #120
ed308

Is it 5/8x24 thread? I've not seen a 22 caliber brake with that thread pattern. That's why I'm going with a 6.5 brake for mine.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:36 AM   #121
stagpanther

holy b-jeebers--good catch; I forgot to check the threading--I owe ya one! ; )
Old May 20, 2018, 11:08 AM   #122
ed308

Didn't want you to screw it up! Don't forget you'll need at least a 14" hand guard to cover the GB. But you probably already know that since your .284 was a +2" gas system.

BTW: what dies would you recommend based on the problems you had with the RCBS die?

Last edited by ed308; May 20, 2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old May 20, 2018, 11:45 AM   #123
stagpanther

Quote:
Didn't want you to screw it up! Don't forget you'll need at least a 14" hand guard to cover the GB. But you probably already know that since your .284 was a +2" gas system.

BTW: what dies would you recommend based on the problems you had with the RCBS die?
You going for match 1000 yd or "best I can" inside of 600? If your serious about long range heavy bullets--I'd look at a good competition die with matching seating stems for the bullets. I'm really a big hornady fan, even though I already have RCBS full-length small base dies, and would opt for new dimension dies that I believe they also make seating stems that match their ELD/amax profiles up to 80 grs. I'm going to try a little experiment (yes, I can screw it up first) and see if I can polish my existing seat stem to accommodate the bigger matchkings and vlds.

The PSA upper came with a 15" rail--do I'll recycle it.

Last edited by stagpanther; May 20, 2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old May 20, 2018, 01:38 PM   #124
ed308

I've got dies from just about every brand, but prefer Redding. Hornady may be the way to go for this caliber. Will probably do competition dies. No rush since I can buy ammo to play with at first. But I'll eventually reload for it since I've got a bulk case of Nosler Custom Comp 80 gr .224 bullets to blast through.

Just check my prior orders. I have a 15" Aero hand guard on the same upper I was planning to swap out the the barrel. So my build will be with a Six8 receiver set. Too bad it won't take a cut out PRI mag. That cut out mag would be perfect for the long bullets available for this caliber uses. Might consider doing a new build with some spare receiver sets I have on hand.

Last edited by ed308; May 20, 2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old May 20, 2018, 02:28 PM   #125
stagpanther

That 2.3 or longer COL stuff doesn't look right to me--but then again I haven't done much with the cartridge so I don't know. Is that what people on the 6.8 forum say they are getting too? I don't have any of the 80 gr CC's--but I do have some of the 77's

Why won't the Aero lower work with the cavity back mag? It's just another 6.8 mag as far as the outside dimensions are concerned.

Last edited by stagpanther; May 20, 2018 at 02:35 PM.