The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 7, 2019, 09:33 AM   #1
jetinteriorguy

.357 Poly Protector experiences.

I recently sent a Rossi revolver in for repair and Taurus couldn't repair it, so they are replacing it with a .357 Poly Protector. So I'm just curious to hear anybody's experiences with this gun. Thanks, Les.
Old December 8, 2019, 08:22 AM   #2
jar

Mine's been reliable but few modern holsters fit it. The crane is a little sticky. Fortunately I had an old Gould & Goodrich paddle holster that's a perfect fit.

Old December 8, 2019, 11:31 PM   #3
Grizzly2

I've never owned one but did here they had issues with the screws loosening. But then so did my Bulldog until they rebuilt it for me. It's doing much better now.
Old December 10, 2019, 04:49 PM   #4
jetinteriorguy

Well, I'm surprised at the lack of response. Apparently not a very popular gun. At least not the usual Taurus bashing session so that's hopeful.
Old December 15, 2019, 03:18 PM   #5
MillCreek

I hike, backpack, mountain bike, XC ski and snowshoe in the wet part of the Pacific NW. My biggest danger would be two-legged predators followed by coyotes, cougar, bobcat and black bear. I have seen all of these in the woods with the exception of black bear. Accordingly, corrosion-resistant .357 revolvers have always been my outdoors carry. For many years, it was a 2.25" Ruger SP-101 with .357 158 grain JSP. I carry 24 extra rounds (two 12 round ammo wallets) with me.

Just about two years ago, for the weight savings, I switched to a Taurus .357 Protector Poly in stainless. It has worked so well for me as a trail gun, that I picked up another as the truck gun. At this point, I have a few hundred .38 rounds through each and about 100 .357 rounds through each. The only issue I had is that on both revolvers, the cylinder latch was awfully hard to release until I had a couple of hundred rounds though it. The Poly, like all my other Taurus revolvers to date, works well for me.

MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA
Old December 15, 2019, 07:05 PM   #6
jetinteriorguy

Well my Poly Protector arrived at the range Friday so hopefully I can pick it up tomorrow and run some ammo through it. Kind of anxious to see if I'll like it. About eight years ago I had a Taurus SS85 and liked it a lot, but no matter what load I tried or how much I shot it, a couple thousand rounds one summer, I just always shot 2"-3" to the left. So I traded it and $400.00 cash for a real nice S&W Model 14. Really love the Model14, it's a tack driver with 2.8gr and 148gr wadcutters. Makes me look like a much better shot than I am.
Old December 17, 2019, 07:34 PM   #7
jetinteriorguy

Picked up the 605PP today and put 50 rounds through it. Man that is a heavy DA trigger but it still performed about as I expected. Unfortunately I didn't have my crimp die set right and I experienced some malfunctions due to not fully removing the flare. I noticed that the cartridges had to be pushed in pretty hard for about the last 1/4 of the way on the Taurus and both my Rugers. I believe the case wasn't expanding tight enough due to the bullets not being tight enough to build sufficient pressure, causing the case to be driven back into the blast shield binding all three of the revolvers up. These were 148gr lead wadcutters, 50 of them were the standard 2.8gr of Bullseye, and 50 of them were over 3.1gr of Bullseye. The heavier load functioned almost all the time but the light load had some issues. I will say the 3.1gr load really shot well, especially in my Ruger Security Six.