The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 30, 2019, 02:33 AM   #1
ninosdemente

Range Duffle Bag

I currently use a back pack that I got at Walmart close to a year ago. Has been useful but now I have been loading more test rounds so I have more boxes I carry. I end up taking all the boxes out of the back pack and just lay them out on the car instead. This is what I got: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-P...Green/51036937

Has plenty of pockets, separate compartments for organizing. Really liked this bag just hate having to take all the ammo boxes as they are stacked up on top of each other. The only other drawback is the main zipper sometimes catches on the backpack but not annoying as I still have the bag.

I will end up using this bag as a diaper bag for baby on the way, no way in hell I'm carrying those other baby back packs/bags, lol.

What do you guys use? Thanks for the help.

This is just off a quick search I did:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/East-West...?selected=true

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nexpak-US...-Bag/461997160
Old November 30, 2019, 05:05 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

I use this: https://lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html
Old November 30, 2019, 10:38 AM   #3
TJB101

I’ve tried to carry ammo in backpacks and range bags and 3 to 400 rounds of ammo just doesn’t work very well for me. So I use a ammo box along with my range bag or backpack. That and my ammo box will fit a rolled up 12x12 target.
Old November 30, 2019, 02:38 PM   #4
ninosdemente

Thanks for the help guys. Spats McGee, I do see it's around 15" wide, how much stuff fits in there. I normally take about 2 boxes of 22lr (500), 2 boxes of 9 (100), 1 box of 380 (50), 1 box of 6.5 creedmoor (50), plus my 4-5+ plus boxes of loaded ammo (capacity 0f 50), oil, stapler/staples, 2 ear muffs, fat wrench, small tool, 2 eye glasses.

That bag seems a bit small for what I "usually" take with me. But not the same when looking at it in person vs viewing it online.
Old November 30, 2019, 11:12 PM   #5
jmhyer

I own and love this bag...
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020438366

If you're interested in a backpack style (though quite a bit pricier), this one looks very intriguing...
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018312232?pid=708878
Old December 1, 2019, 12:38 AM   #6
ninosdemente

The backpack is definitely more. But looking more for a duffle bag style. Thanks for the links.
Old December 1, 2019, 06:14 AM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninosdemente View Post
Thanks for the help guys. Spats McGee, I do see it's around 15" wide, how much stuff fits in there. I normally take about 2 boxes of 22lr (500), 2 boxes of 9 (100), 1 box of 380 (50), 1 box of 6.5 creedmoor (50), plus my 4-5+ plus boxes of loaded ammo (capacity 0f 50), oil, stapler/staples, 2 ear muffs, fat wrench, small tool, 2 eye glasses.

That bag seems a bit small for what I "usually" take with me. But not the same when looking at it in person vs viewing it online.
It's a pretty good size. If it were any smaller, I wouldn't be able to get enough stuff in it. If it were larger, it might be too heavy. If memory services, it came with a divider for the body, which I took out (just velcro holding it in). I'll bet you could get most if not all of that in there. The stuff that stays in my range bag, regardless of what I'll be shooting usually includes: six 10/22 mags (they fit perfectly into one of the side pouches), a multi-tool, 1 set of ear muffs, a small bottle of oil, shoot-n-c targets, a knife, an oily rag, a sharpie, a ziploc bag of ear plugs, and a small peanut butter jar. (The end pouches will fit either a water bottle or a peanut butter jar. You could actually take peanut butter to the range, I guess, but I use a clean one for saving brass.) Things that get swapped out are mags and ammo. In addition to everything already listed, I can fit 1k (maybe more) of .22LR, or maybe 300 rounds of 9mm. I might be able to squeeze both in there.
Old December 1, 2019, 08:50 PM   #8
ninosdemente

Thanks for the reply.
Old December 2, 2019, 01:15 AM   #9
dyl

I use the toughest thing I can find at the thrift store. You can sometimes tell by the thickness of the nylon how sturdy a little duffle bag / carry on is. By the way, those free NRA duffel bags are as flimsy as a paper plate.
Old December 2, 2019, 12:20 PM   #10
ninosdemente

Thanks dyl, I forgot about thrift stores. I really don't mind getting one through them, just as long as it has many pockets available. Well didn't know the NRA one's were not good at all.
Old December 2, 2019, 08:13 PM   #11
ZEBRARANGER

One of the best range bags that I've ever owned isn't even a range bag. I purchased this extra large heavy duty tool bag 10 to 12 years ago made by Custom Leathercraft. Its still my primary range bag and I haven't been able wear it out. Has big heavy duty zippers, and a large center compartment that I usually utilize the floor of the bag to lay my ammo on in their boxes. It has one outer zip open compartment on each side of the bag loaded with an assortment of different sizes of pockets that I use for all of my accessories.

It can hold more weight than can comfortably be carried, using the shoulder strap helps a lot if its loaded to capacity. I usually only bring two or maybe three pistols with me to the range if I'm by myself, so the weight is a non issue. If my wife and or daughter or husband come with me, it can carry up to six pistols in their rugs in the center compartment with extra boxed ammo on the floor of the bag, then it can get a little heavy.
Old December 2, 2019, 09:07 PM   #12
ninosdemente

Thanks for the suggestion, ZEBRARANGER. Found quite a few of them on amazon. Even the example you provided, so I think: https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Leathe...5338243&sr=8-5
Old December 3, 2019, 12:14 AM   #13
ZEBRARANGER

Yep, that's it.
Old December 3, 2019, 09:21 PM   #14
sparkyv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhyer View Post
I too have the Competition bag, and it functions nominally. Mine came from Academy. I can put 4 handguns in it and all ammo for them, with ALL my shooting gear and tools except bags/rests. The problem is that loading the bag up in such a manner makes it an absolute weighty BEAST to haul around.