The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 29, 2019, 12:12 PM   #1
popshooting445

Ruger LCR 357

Just secured for my collection a Ruger LCR in 357 and was wondering if any of you have one and what your thoughts are about it are??
I also want to get a Taurus "Poly Protector" either in 38 special or 357 magnum.
Old November 29, 2019, 12:28 PM   #2
DaleA

Here's my comments from another LCR thread:

I got a chance to shoot an LCR with 158 grain .357 magnum loads (Magtech, nothing really 'hot' about 'em.) and just plain old will not do that any more. I don't consider myself particularly recoil sensitive but if offered I'll only shoot the LCR with 125 grain rounds (or lower) and I won't shoot many of those.

I personally think the LCR is a very nice revolver and I didn't have any problems with the trigger. Just the recoil. Here's a thread about the revolver. Once again I think the gun is very nice.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...&highlight=lcr
Old November 29, 2019, 12:34 PM   #3
Lohman446

I have a Scandium J frame. When we have everyone over for dinner this Saturday, a good share of whom are very familiar with firearms, I will see if anyone wants to shoot some stout 357 rounds from it. The offer will again be refused.

These ultralight 357s are good guns. I like the option of being able to use 357 if I wanted to. I doubt many people have ever shot more than a cylinder or two of full power loads from one.
Old November 29, 2019, 01:00 PM   #4
Sequins

I think the LCR excels with 38spl. The 357 model is potentially the best option though because you get a few extra oz as well as the freedom to shoot 357 if desired.

Luckygunner has some impressive results from the federal micro HST ammunition and that's what's in my snub.
Old November 29, 2019, 01:57 PM   #5
seeker_two

The steel frame on the .357 LCR makes shooting .38Spl a breeze and .357Mag barely tolerable. If you have to have a lightweight .357 snub, the LCR is the one to have.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old November 29, 2019, 02:48 PM   #6
WheelGunMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by popshooting445 View Post
Just secured for my collection a Ruger LCR in 357 and was wondering if any of you have one and what your thoughts are about it are??
I also want to get a Taurus "Poly Protector" either in 38 special or 357 magnum.
I own a LCR .357 and a 3" LCRx .357. The LCR is my primary EDC that I rotate with the LCRx. I carry .38 Special ARX 77 grain which has minimal recoil. They are both a pleasure to shoot.
Old November 29, 2019, 08:39 PM   #7
tallball

My friend has a 357 LCR. It's easy to shoot with 38's. With 357 it's feisty but tolerable. (We are both big guys who are older and have shot revolvers a lot.)

I bought the 38 version after I shot my friend's 357. The four ounces or so make a big difference. I couldn't control it well with the original small grips ( I have XXL hands) and had to put the slightly larger LCRx grips on it. Now it's fine.

We each have plenty of other handguns and carry our LCR's more than anything else. I can shoot mine as well as any of my other small snubs.
Old December 3, 2019, 04:41 PM   #8
Jayhawkhuntclub

The one I had was extremely accurate (for a snub) and reliable. But shooting 357s felt like catching a fast ball without a glove!

Best double action factory trigger I've ever shot, and I've shot a few (Diamondbacks, Pythons, King Cobras, SRHs, Speedsixes, Security Sixes and too many models of Smith to mention).
Old December 3, 2019, 09:45 PM   #9
WheelGunMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawkhuntclub View Post
The one I had was extremely accurate (for a snub) and reliable. But shooting 357s felt like catching a fast ball without a glove!

Best double action factory trigger I've ever shot, and I've shot a few (Diamondbacks, Pythons, King Cobras, SRHs, Speedsixes, Security Sixes and too many models of Smith to mention).
I have a 6" Security Six in .357... although I love the smooth action of my LCR, it pales in comparison of my Security Six.
Old December 5, 2019, 06:14 PM   #10
MillCreek

I have a LCR in .38 and a stainless Protector Poly in .357. The LCR is one of my 'in town' carry guns and the Protector Poly is my outdoor recreation carry gun. I like them both.

MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA
Old December 6, 2019, 01:10 AM   #11
Mosin44az

I think the LCR in .357 is the best pocket revolver ever. IF you confine yourself to shooting .38 special out of it. The extra 3.5 ounces over the .38 makes a huge difference in shooting comfort, but is not that noticeable in the pocket.
Old December 7, 2019, 01:17 PM   #12
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm not overly recoil sensitive (I don't think, anyway), but I carry my LCR with .38s in it. It's chambered in .357, but I didn't care for shooting them through it. It had, shall we say, a healthy kick to it. Other than that, it's a great little revolver.