The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 27, 2019, 10:46 PM   #1
FloridaGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 236
Looking for a new caliber rifle.

Well I have 4 rifles chambered in 6.5 creedmor, several chambered in .308. Looking for something bigger. I have narrowed it down to three calibers;

.300 Win Mag
.300 PRC
.338 Lapua

I am leaning towards the .338 Lapua. My local shop has a RPR chambered in .338 Lapua that I can pick at a good price. They have had this gun in stock for a long time.

The longest range near me is 600 yards. So that would be the longest I would be shooting.

I will be reloading for which ever I end up purchasing.

Looking for pro’s and cons on these calibers.
__________________
Μολὼν λαβέ

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
FloridaGuy is offline  
Old November 27, 2019, 10:50 PM   #2
Sure Shot Mc Gee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 2, 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,733
Something Weatherby can also be grouped and interesting.
__________________
"JUST A OLD DEPLORABLE THAT'S IRREDEMABLE."
Sure Shot Mc Gee is offline  
Old November 28, 2019, 02:03 AM   #3
popshooting445
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 28, 2018
Posts: 102
.300 PRC
popshooting445 is offline  
Old November 28, 2019, 10:00 AM   #4
jmr40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 15, 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 9,720
At only 600 yards you'd be better off with the 308's and 6.5's you have. The others don't really become relevant until you start shooting at 600-2000 yards. Your 308 will be fine out to 800-1000 and the 6.5 does everything the others do out to about a mile.

At least as target rounds. If you're planning on hunting the 300, and 338 magnums shoot heavier bullets with enough energy for large game like elk at extended ranges of 700+ yards. There are no serious shooters using those for long range target shooting anymore.

The exact rifle would tip the balance toward one cartridge or the other. I'd buy the rifle I liked best and worry less about the cartridge it was in. But all things equal would go 300 WM.

If I had rifles in the cartridges you already have, and I do, I'd be looking at an accurate rifle in 223. I did. My 223 will get me near 3/4 MOA out to 600 yards with a lot less expense and recoil.

I've had 300 mags in the past. They were OK, but I sold my last 300 magnum after buying a 6.5CM. I considerd it an upgrade.
__________________
"If you're still doing things the same way you were doing them 10 years ago, you're doing it wrong"

Winston Churchill
jmr40 is offline  
Old November 28, 2019, 10:14 AM   #5
Ben Dover
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 11, 2013
Location: High up in the Rocky Moun
Posts: 582
Of your choices, the .300 WinMag is by far the most practical.

Excellent selection of factory ammo, reloading components, reloading data and resale value if you decide you don't like it.
__________________
The soldier's pack is not so heavy a burden as the prisoner's chains. Dwight Eisenhower

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Ben Dover is offline  
Old November 28, 2019, 02:53 PM   #6
T. O'Heir
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 13, 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,580
.338 Lapua is expensive stuff. When you look at prices on the assorted sites, look at how many rounds per box. 20 rounds starts at about $80 per box with match bullets.
The .300 Mag is much more reasonable and way more selection.
Brass isn't any better either. Graf's wants $41.99 per 20 for Hornady .338 Lapua. $51.99 per 100 for .300 Win Mag.
Your .308 will do nicely for 600 yards with 168 or 175 grain match bullets. 600 is mid range for NRA High Power. The magnums are used at 1,000 yards.
"I want one." is a reason though. And 600 will do. MSRP on an RPR chambered in .338 Lapua is $2099. ($84.95 for an extra 5 round mag direct from Ruger.) So what the local shop wants for it will matter. But shop around locally for brass, bullets and such first.
__________________
Spelling and grammar count!
T. O'Heir is offline  
Old November 28, 2019, 06:16 PM   #7
FloridaGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
.338 Lapua is expensive stuff. When you look at prices on the assorted sites, look at how many rounds per box. 20 rounds starts at about $80 per box with match bullets.
The .300 Mag is much more reasonable and way more selection.
Brass isn't any better either. Graf's wants $41.99 per 20 for Hornady .338 Lapua. $51.99 per 100 for .300 Win Mag.
Your .308 will do nicely for 600 yards with 168 or 175 grain match bullets. 600 is mid range for NRA High Power. The magnums are used at 1,000 yards.
"I want one." is a reason though. And 600 will do. MSRP on an RPR chambered in .338 Lapua is $2099. ($84.95 for an extra 5 round mag direct from Ruger.) So what the local shop wants for it will matter. But shop around locally for brass, bullets and such first.
Locally the .338 Lapua RPR would cost me about $1600.00. Which ever I end up getting ammo price really would not be an issue. Because it would only be shot once or twice a year. The 600 yard range is about a 2 hour drive away from where I live and I don’t get there often.

I was originally thinking about the .300PRC but none of the local shops had ever heard of that caliber. So they had no rifles or ammo in stock for that caliber then I found one shop that has a .338 Lapua RPR in stock.
__________________
Μολὼν λαβέ

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
FloridaGuy is offline  
Old November 28, 2019, 07:12 PM   #8
TXAZ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 5, 2010
Location: McMurdo Sound Texas
Posts: 3,755
If you want ~similar~ performance to the Lapua .338, look at the .50 BMG. Ammo can be significantly less, and it's a literal blast to shoot, with a lot more manufacturers and options.
__________________
!أنا لست إرهابياً
TXAZ is offline  
Old November 28, 2019, 07:13 PM   #9
Jasonzee
Member
 
Join Date: October 27, 2019
Posts: 34
300 win mag cheaper to reload and shoot.
Jasonzee is offline  
Old November 28, 2019, 09:15 PM   #10
FloridaGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAZ View Post
If you want ~similar~ performance to the Lapua .338, look at the .50 BMG. Ammo can be significantly less, and it's a literal blast to shoot, with a lot more manufacturers and options.
Originally I was looking at a .50 BMG but the price for the rifle alone is way out of my budget. Local said between $5,000 and $10,000. Then I would need to add a scope for between $1,000 and $5,000. So total out the door would be between $6,000 and $15,000.
__________________
Μολὼν λαβέ

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
FloridaGuy is offline  
Old November 29, 2019, 09:08 AM   #11
taylorce1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 18, 2005
Location: On the Santa Fe Trail
Posts: 7,202
.50 BMG rifles can be had affordably if you look at single shot rifles. SWFA SS series of scopes are .50 BMG rated and can be had for under $1K. However, I wouldn't consider anyof those cartridges for recreational shooting if all I had was a 600 yard range.
__________________
NRA Life Member
taylorce1 is offline  
Old November 29, 2019, 09:26 AM   #12
FloridaGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 236
The local range has .50 BMG day on Fridays and they are only shooting 100yards. A lot of people here in Florida shoot these calibers at 100 yards.
__________________
Μολὼν λαβέ

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
FloridaGuy is offline  
Old November 29, 2019, 10:36 AM   #13
Bart B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 15, 2009
Posts: 7,263
How many rounds do you want the barrel to last for best accuracy at 600 yards? In other words, if it starts out shooting under 4 inches for all test shots, how long before it opens up to 6?

1000, 2000 3000 or 4000 rounds?
Bart B. is offline  
Old November 29, 2019, 01:37 PM   #14
std7mag
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 23, 2013
Location: Central Taxylvania..
Posts: 2,737
For shooting to 600 yards, and larger than 308, perhaps you should look at CMP.
An M1 Garand in 30-06 is a hoot to shoot!
__________________
This country was founded on two beliefs.
And I'm pretty sure pork rinds was one of them!
std7mag is offline  
Old November 29, 2019, 06:10 PM   #15
stagpanther
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 2, 2014
Posts: 6,384
If you reload, you can significantly reduce the costs of 338 lapua cartridges. I have the upgraded savage 110 LRH in 338 lapua and it rocks my world. Fabulous all-around cartridge IMO, even though I haven't stretched it's legs yet.
__________________
If you’re ever hiking in the woods and you get lost, just look up and find the brightest star in the sky and you’ll know which way space is.
I am NOT an expert--I do not have any formal experience or certification in firearms use or testing; use any information I post at your own risk!
stagpanther is offline  
Old November 29, 2019, 09:42 PM   #16
FloridaGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
If you reload, you can significantly reduce the costs of 338 lapua cartridges. I have the upgraded savage 110 LRH in 338 lapua and it rocks my world. Fabulous all-around cartridge IMO, even though I haven't stretched it's legs yet.
I am going to be reloading for it. But I checked ammo prices tonight and 338 Lapua is like $30 a box of ten rounds. That’s not bad considering I am paying $70.00 for a box of .500 Smith & Wesson Magnum Ammo.
__________________
Μολὼν λαβέ

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
FloridaGuy is offline  
Old November 30, 2019, 02:39 AM   #17
stagpanther
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 2, 2014
Posts: 6,384
Quote:
I am going to be reloading for it. But I checked ammo prices tonight and 338 Lapua is like $30 a box of ten rounds. That’s not bad considering I am paying $70.00 for a box of .500 Smith & Wesson Magnum Ammo.
__________________
Μολὼν λαβέ
I haven't fired a RPR in 338LM--it's probably heavier than my 110 and if it has a good brake and stock pad you won't have any problem with felt recoil would be my guess. 285'ish gr vld's and eld's go good in mine. The biggest expense will be brass--IMO get the Lapua stuff; it's heavy duty and worth the extra money. I think you'll love the 338 LM.

PS: Have to be honest about one thing; if you do really want to use the 338LM to full advantage at some point, you'll probably need a top-tier scope to do that and that can easily cost as much or more than the rifle itself.
__________________
If you’re ever hiking in the woods and you get lost, just look up and find the brightest star in the sky and you’ll know which way space is.
I am NOT an expert--I do not have any formal experience or certification in firearms use or testing; use any information I post at your own risk!

Last edited by stagpanther; November 30, 2019 at 02:59 AM.
stagpanther is offline  
Old November 30, 2019, 03:40 PM   #18
FloridaGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I haven't fired a RPR in 338LM--it's probably heavier than my 110 and if it has a good brake and stock pad you won't have any problem with felt recoil would be my guess. 285'ish gr vld's and eld's go good in mine. The biggest expense will be brass--IMO get the Lapua stuff; it's heavy duty and worth the extra money. I think you'll love the 338 LM.

PS: Have to be honest about one thing; if you do really want to use the 338LM to full advantage at some point, you'll probably need a top-tier scope to do that and that can easily cost as much or more than the rifle itself.
Scope wise I was thinking about a Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52mm just because I already have the scope.
__________________
Μολὼν λαβέ

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
FloridaGuy is offline  
Old November 30, 2019, 04:32 PM   #19
stagpanther
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 2, 2014
Posts: 6,384
Quote:
Scope wise I was thinking about a Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52mm just because I already have the scope.
Sounds like you're GTG!
__________________
If you’re ever hiking in the woods and you get lost, just look up and find the brightest star in the sky and you’ll know which way space is.
I am NOT an expert--I do not have any formal experience or certification in firearms use or testing; use any information I post at your own risk!

Last edited by stagpanther; November 30, 2019 at 04:57 PM.
stagpanther is offline  
Old November 30, 2019, 05:39 PM   #20
std7mag
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 23, 2013
Location: Central Taxylvania..
Posts: 2,737
Jees, Stag!

You may as well shoot 38 Spcl if your not gonna reach out!

__________________
This country was founded on two beliefs.
And I'm pretty sure pork rinds was one of them!
std7mag is offline  
Old November 30, 2019, 05:58 PM   #21
stagpanther
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 2, 2014
Posts: 6,384
Quote:
Jees, Stag!

You may as well shoot 38 Spcl if your not gonna reach out!
I would--but all I have is 38 super.
__________________
If you’re ever hiking in the woods and you get lost, just look up and find the brightest star in the sky and you’ll know which way space is.
I am NOT an expert--I do not have any formal experience or certification in firearms use or testing; use any information I post at your own risk!
stagpanther is offline  
Old November 30, 2019, 09:22 PM   #22
robert1804
Member
 
Join Date: May 5, 2015
Posts: 47
FloridaGuy, Get that 338 Lapua! I can no longer deal with the recoil of anything more than a 308. When I was younger, a Ruger 77 sporter weight in 300 Win magnum didn't seem bad at all. An RPR in 338 would be a hoot! Anything over a 30 cal magnum is overkill in North America for hunting so forget those puny 30's get a real blaster for pure fun!
__________________
They'll have to pry my Illudium Q36 Explosive Space Modulator from my cold dead gripping appendages.
robert1804 is offline  
Old November 30, 2019, 09:57 PM   #23
FloridaGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert1804 View Post
FloridaGuy, Get that 338 Lapua! I can no longer deal with the recoil of anything more than a 308. When I was younger, a Ruger 77 sporter weight in 300 Win magnum didn't seem bad at all. An RPR in 338 would be a hoot! Anything over a 30 cal magnum is overkill in North America for hunting so forget those puny 30's get a real blaster for pure fun!
It would never see any hunting. It is going to only be for fun. It probable would only get shot once or twice a year. That’s on average how much I shoot any of my rifles. I don’t shoot rifles often because my local range does not allow them.
__________________
Μολὼν λαβέ

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
FloridaGuy is offline  
Old November 30, 2019, 11:37 PM   #24
stagpanther
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 2, 2014
Posts: 6,384
Hmmm...well, if you're going to be doing your own handloads, and you're going to want to shoot for any reason other than make some noise (in which case a bag of M80's would be cheaper)--count on shooting it more than once or twice a year!
__________________
If you’re ever hiking in the woods and you get lost, just look up and find the brightest star in the sky and you’ll know which way space is.
I am NOT an expert--I do not have any formal experience or certification in firearms use or testing; use any information I post at your own risk!
stagpanther is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2018 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.08616 seconds with 9 queries