The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 9, 2020, 11:03 PM   #26
bedbugbilly

Personally, I think it's interesting that several mags. have come out with new 22s 0 Ruger, Glock, etc.

I don't mind the safety I know some do. I haven't shot a 22 since the big shortage as I reload a number of calibers including the 380 which is cheap to reload IMHO.

I havel owned a wide variety of Rugers in my 50+ years of shooting and they have always been good. I personally think this will be a good seller for them - a fun plinker a good pocket gun to carry at times and a good carry for a woman who can't do there recoil of something in a larger caliber - loads with HP, I'd certainly would feel better about my wife having one of these around rather than nothing. If their selling price is decent - I will certainly pick one up.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 10, 2020, 01:52 AM   #27
Bill DeShivs

Did you even read that I said LCP? Not LCP2.
Old January 10, 2020, 02:31 AM   #28
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
Story about weight in a pocket pistol-
Years ago I broke the hammer spring on my Keltec P32 do to an incorrect video. It was almost Christmas and K/T was closed until after the first of the year. No problem- I'll just grab my NAA Guardian .32. Went to work, and at lunch I stopped by a friend's gun shop and bought another P32! There was no way I was going to carry that Little NAA brick!
The LCP is thicker and heavier than the Keltec P3AT, and the P3AT is actually bigger and heavier than the P32. It may not make any difference to you, but it does to me.
If NAA had somebody smart in charge, they should make one of those Guardians in .22 LR. Lot less recoil, DAO for the second strike capability, and with an aluminum frame cuz it would be light, but very well made. Kind of like the Taurus or Beretta tip up .22's, but these would be fixed barrels and more accurate and likely more reliable.
Old January 10, 2020, 11:14 AM   #29
Metric

The more I think about this, the more interested I am. One of my long-term holy grail pistols is a genuine pocket 22 that has useful accuracy, reasonable sights/trigger, and has broad spectrum reliability. I have some excellent working 22's that are slightly too large for pocket carry. The actual pocket 22's I've had, though, were all terrible in at least one important way -- maybe Ruger has finally cracked the code.
Old January 10, 2020, 12:17 PM   #30
Carl the Floor Walker

Keltec P32 with 8 loaded with Underwood plus p.

The LCP originia, the LCP Gen 2 (currently still in production) and LCP ll.

To see the actional differences go here and Plug in both models to compare the LCP and the LCP ll compared to the Keltec. There are differences in lenghth, width (0.75" 0.82" , height. I could post the pics myself, but this is the only forum with these kind of rules that you cannot. Sorry.

I would be interest in the LCP 22 if it had a trigger like the Gen 2. Not interested in a LCPll trigger. Also would not pay over $150.00 for one.

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...2-vs-ruger-lcp

Saw a price today for the LCP22 at $299.00. Lol, man that is insane for that gun.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; January 10, 2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old January 10, 2020, 12:21 PM   #31
Carmady

Quote:
If NAA had somebody smart in charge, they should make one of those Guardians in .22 LR.
And while they're being smart they could make a 7-shot DAO .22LR revolver with a pull-pin cylinder (to keep costs down) along the lines of the old S&W Lady Smith 22, IJ 1900, H&R 1906, and Rossi Princess. The diameter of the cylinder would be under 15/16" (less than a quarter). It'd be great with a short front sight.

No failure to feed; no testing ammo to see if it will work; no a lot of stuff.

One snag is it would likely take a bunch of sales away from their 5-shot SA revolvers. They'd sell like crazy.
Old January 10, 2020, 12:43 PM   #32
ThomasT

Quote:
Did you even read that I said LCP? Not LCP2.
Still not a lot of difference and the LCP is one once lighter than the LCP II. But whatever you think.

Kel-Tec P-32--- Ruger LCP
Length 5.1"--- 5.16"
Height 3.5"--- 3.6"
Width 0.75"--- 0.82"
Weight 6.6 oz--- 9.6 oz
Barrel Length 2.7"--- 2.75"

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...2-vs-ruger-lcp

Ruger LCP vs LCP II

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...i-vs-ruger-lcp

Last edited by ThomasT; January 10, 2020 at 12:54 PM.
Old January 10, 2020, 02:35 PM   #33
Bill DeShivs

The NAA Guardian's weight is mostly in the slide, and the design of the frame and mechanicals does not lend itself to production in aluminum.

I have both Keltec P32s and P3ATs. The size/weight difference is slight, but it makes a difference to me.
Old January 11, 2020, 09:30 PM   #34
wild cat mccane

Man these LCP 22LRs are price high...
Old January 11, 2020, 11:17 PM   #35
batmann

The little pistol is designed for practice or people who have trouble with the slide.
If you don’t want to use the safety, don’t. It’s not mandatory that you use it.
I always laugh when something with a safety comes out, the first thing said is I would buy if it didn’t have a safety.
The 1911 that everybody is so fond of was designed to be carried with a round in the chamber, safety on. I have yet to hear anyone say they would not buy one if it didn’t have a safety.
Remember what’s the target buyers, most of whom are getting one for mom, wife or just to have handy.
Old January 12, 2020, 09:46 AM   #36
rodfac

CarlThe..., what's that leather thingee on your trigger guard? And how does the lanyard work? Pocket carry? Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 12, 2020, 10:34 AM   #37
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfac View Post
CarlThe..., what's that leather thingee on your trigger guard? And how does the lanyard work? Pocket carry? Best Regards, Rod
Not Carl but I use one on my G42 when I pocket carry or with 'ClipDraw'...tie lanyard to belt, pull gun out/up, trigger guard pops off...a way to safely carry one with in the chamber, condition 0...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 13, 2020, 03:34 AM   #38
Carl the Floor Walker

Gallay sells for some firearms, other vendors as well.
Old January 13, 2020, 05:31 PM   #39
Bill DeShivs

Those holsters are made of Kydex, not leather.
They can also be used to carry a gun under a shirt, with the lanyard around the neck.
Old January 13, 2020, 06:39 PM   #40
Bart Noir

I don't understand why it would be a locked-breach design, but the photo sure looks like it is.

It would be cheaper to make in blow-back design, although that might mean a stronger recoil spring, hence making it harder to rack the slide. I wonder if that is the reason.

Bart Noir
Old January 13, 2020, 09:59 PM   #41
ThomasT

Quote:
I don't understand why it would be a locked-breach design, but the photo sure looks like it is.
In an article over on the THR forum it stated that Ruger used as many parts of the 380 version as they could to keep cost down and simplify things and that the locked breech and tilting barrel enhanced feeding.

Maybe it helped with feeding but I'm not seeing the cost advantage with prices running around $300 for one.
Old January 14, 2020, 12:40 AM   #42
burrhead

My limited understanding is that they're a blow-back with a tilting barrel, not a true locked-breach. I suppose for some parts commonality with the 380 and maybe more reliable feeding. But then I could be completely wrong; I haven't actually seen one.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old January 14, 2020, 07:38 AM   #43
Carmady

I don't get all the hype saying what a swell practice pistol it is for the .380. For the trigger, maybe...but for handling recoil and follow up shots, I fail to see where practicing with a .22 will be much help. I think anyone who wants to get better with the .380 would be better off spending $150 (1/2 the money for the .22) on .380 ammo.
Old January 14, 2020, 08:33 AM   #44
wild cat mccane

Go pay double the price of the LCP gen2 and find out what the hype is...

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/736676137053

Old January 15, 2020, 02:31 PM   #45
zoo

I agree with Carmady. If you are practicing for your .380 LCP (whichever gen), pick yourself up more ammunition and get to practicing instead. Sounds great for a cool little .22 though!
Old January 15, 2020, 03:07 PM   #46
Metric

Yeah, if I get one, it's definitely NOT to "practice for a .380."

What I want is a .22 that works for pocket carry and can do the following:

1) Make me look good jumping cans in front of friends/family.

2) Hit a rabbit-sized target within 15 yards nearly every time.

3) Hit a rattlesnake head-sized target at slightly more than rattlesnake strike range nearly every time.

4) Reliably poke 10 holes in a human chest cavity-sized target at 10 feet within about 2.5 seconds.

If it can't do all of the above reliably (with a bit of practice), then my interest will rapidly drop off. I have a nice Beretta 71 that is great for all of the above, but just slightly too big for pocket carry -- it has to go IWB.

A .22 that does the same job but can be dropped into a pocket has been a very, very long-term desire, for me. No luck so far.
Old January 16, 2020, 10:30 AM   #47
gnystrom

A few months ago I found a deal on a couple thousand 380 plated for 4¢ ea delivered so I am handloading for my Shield EZ and my often carried LCPII at a very low cost.
I think having a 11 round capacity .22 would be a hoot. When the cost comes down a bit and it has been real world tested, I will have one.
Old January 16, 2020, 03:43 PM   #48
BeornLS

I've really got the itch for one of these LCP IIs in 22 LR myself. Initial reviews I'm seeing are looking pretty good as reliability in them. I think this little gun will fill a good niche that has been needing filled for a long time. Especially as a kit/hiking type gun, low weight and profile, low per round ammo weight (hard to beat a .22 in that department), etc.

Hopefully I'll be able to shoot it accurately!
Old January 16, 2020, 09:34 PM   #49
Boarhunter

I was most excited by this one as a potential flatter replacement for my pocket Smith 43c 22 revolver. But then I tried a range gun with a single brand of standard velocity ammo and found POI was seriously high and left of POA at 25 feet. For me, it should do better than that. Before writing it off, I plan to run some mini-mags and stingers through it to see if it improves any with different ammo.

Other than that, the gun shoots great.

BOARHUNTER
Old January 17, 2020, 11:20 AM   #50
Metric

That's unfortunate. If only they had given as much attention to the sights as they gave to the idiotic mag safety that devalues the gun. Could have been a massive home run. Even a basic drift adjustable sight would have saved the accuracy issue. Oh well.