The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 31, 2019, 01:25 PM   #1
lunger

LCP II in 22LR

Just noticed Ruger is making the LCP in 22. https://ruger.com/products/lcpII/models.html
Might make a good kit gun or plinker. I believe they have added a manual safety. Any interest ?
Old December 31, 2019, 03:23 PM   #2
Chettt

That looks like something I will buy. Keep the price low Ruger.
Old December 31, 2019, 10:34 PM   #3
Bartholomew Roberts

Is it smaller than the .32 ACP?
Old December 31, 2019, 11:04 PM   #4
franco45

I'm interested. It looks like fun.
Old December 31, 2019, 11:09 PM   #5
burrhead

I have one of the 380s and like it. If Ruger brings out the .22 without a thumb safety I'd buy it in a heartbeat just for a plinker. Maybe get one anyway after the teething pains are over.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old December 31, 2019, 11:45 PM   #6
wmg1299

I'm not a big fan of the safety, but am definitely interested in the gun. I'll have to wait for some reliability testing before I decide to buy.
Old January 1, 2020, 09:16 AM   #7
OhioGuy

Interesting -- hadn't heard about it. In a way it's kind of like the Shield EZ, just scaled down.

Meaning, Shield EZ began as a 9mm sized gun, chambered in .380 (lower recoil) and with lighter springs making it easier to rack.

This is a .380 sized gun, chambered in .380 (lower recoil), with lighter springs and easier to rack. From the photos there on the site, it looks like it has the same target audience (older men, and women).

10+1 rounds in a pocket pistol is not a bad thing in any caliber. Thing I'd most worry about is reliability in firing. In many thousands of rounds of 9mm or .38 spl I think I've had exactly 3 failures to fire, ever. I've had MANY more than that in .22 lr. At least in a .22 revolver you just keep pulling. In an LCP, you have to execute a tap-rack on a gun the size of a deck of cards. That isn't terribly easy even without stress. A lighter slide could help, but it's still not easy to manipulate such a small gun.

That's why I eventually gave up on pocket .380s. I could shoot them ok, and they were kinda fun in their own right, but when it came to executing any kind of malfunction drill or reload -- or even drawing -- I was never very consistent. I found small revolvers so much easier to use, when I can't carry a 9mm (which isn't too often).
Old January 1, 2020, 10:23 AM   #8
Cheapshooter

Why did Ruger screw up a great idea with a thumb safety?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 1, 2020, 11:12 AM   #9
Carl the Floor Walker

If it had a Gen 2 trigger (not LCPll) and around $150.00 I would be interested.
Old January 1, 2020, 11:39 AM   #10
Wag

I could like it a great deal. Thumb safety doesn't bother me at all. Don't care for the magazine safety..........

--Wag--
Old January 2, 2020, 10:11 AM   #11
aarondhgraham

I am a fan of owning the same pistol in centerfire and rimfire,,,
In fact I own 11 RF/CF pairs.

I believe I will pass on this one though,,,
For some reason they don't hold an appeal to me.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 2, 2020, 02:09 PM   #12
9x19

"Any interest?"

Not with a manual safety... I'll have to wait for the 'Pro' version.
Old January 2, 2020, 05:16 PM   #13
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondhgraham View Post
I am a fan of owning the same pistol in centerfire and rimfire,,,
In fact I own 11 RF/CF pairs.

I believe I will pass on this one though,,,
For some reason they don't hold an appeal to me.

Aarond

Same for me, I've reached my limit for small .22's and I feel most of the appeal for this LCP is a trainer for the .380 LCP. I don't have an interest in the .380 LCP 2, I want it in a .32 and if the recoil is low enough that I can shoot more than 20 rounds a session, then I'm fine with paying $13 for 50 rounds because in .32 that ammo is going to be the same ammo I carry.
Old January 2, 2020, 05:30 PM   #14
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Interesting -- hadn't heard about it. In a way it's kind of like the Shield EZ, just scaled down.

Meaning, Shield EZ began as a 9mm sized gun, chambered in .380 (lower recoil) and with lighter springs making it easier to rack.

This is a .380 sized gun, chambered in .380 (lower recoil), with lighter springs and easier to rack. From the photos there on the site, it looks like it has the same target audience (older men, and women).

10+1 rounds in a pocket pistol is not a bad thing in any caliber. Thing I'd most worry about is reliability in firing. In many thousands of rounds of 9mm or .38 spl I think I've had exactly 3 failures to fire, ever. I've had MANY more than that in .22 lr. At least in a .22 revolver you just keep pulling. In an LCP, you have to execute a tap-rack on a gun the size of a deck of cards. That isn't terribly easy even without stress. A lighter slide could help, but it's still not easy to manipulate such a small gun.

That's why I eventually gave up on pocket .380s. I could shoot them ok, and they were kinda fun in their own right, but when it came to executing any kind of malfunction drill or reload -- or even drawing -- I was never very consistent. I found small revolvers so much easier to use, when I can't carry a 9mm (which isn't too often).
I can't speak to the LCP 2, but the original LCP (including the Custom) are not the easiest slide's to rack and seating a full magazine in them is ridiculous. I literally have to slam the gun into my palm to get the mag to lock in place.

Ditto on the .22 in a semi auto, I don't trust them and the only one that I'm finding I can trust is the Phoenix that is limited to standard velocity ammo and weighs 23oz.

I can't help but agree that a snub revolver is the better way to go. The benefits of a gun like the LCP has always been lower weight, faster reloads/ability to carry more rounds, slimmer profile, and lower price. Does that offset the negative associated with LCP style pistols?

As a guy on youtube says, "you be the judge."
Old January 2, 2020, 09:21 PM   #15
wild cat mccane

Twisted Industries did a Kel Tec PF-9 conversion before the LCP existed.

Kinda surprised Ruger isn't just selling an upper with magazine?

I mean, an LCP is 160. To get me to buy a whole gun that isn't going to be a target shooter? 380 isn't that expensive...
Old January 4, 2020, 01:31 AM   #16
kozak6

Thing is, most of the cost of the pistol is in the slide and barrel. It's why conversion kits for all the modular pistols never went anywhere.

If the conversion kit was $150, would anyone buy one?

It's an interesting pistol, but it's not for me. I realize there is a market for a modern kit gun, a cheap plinker/trainer, and for a low slide effort/low recoil carry pistol, but I'm currently outside of those markets.

Of note, it appears to fire from a locked breech. Might even be unique for a .22 pistol.
Old January 5, 2020, 02:49 PM   #17
Doug Ridley

What difference does it make if it has a safety.I'm carrying the 380 version without a safety so why not just carry the .22 cal. with safety off in a good holster. (Assuming you wanted to carry it at all).
Old January 8, 2020, 10:42 AM   #18
Metric

Very interested. It's in the running for my next .22. There are some good video reviews up already on youtube. One common negative theme is light primer strikes. That's going to make me wait. I don't mind so much that they added a manual safety, but the worse-than-useless mag safety is genuinely offputting.
Old January 8, 2020, 08:14 PM   #19
ThomasT

I really want one of these and found a place that is selling them for $285 with free shipping and no CC fees. I already have it in my cart I just have to hit the "Buy" button and its mine.

I have owned two Iver Johnson TP 22s and both were dead nuts reliable and shot right to the sights. But they were heavy for a 22 pocket gun since they were made from the dreaded Zinc alloy frames and steel slides. But they always fed and fired and I can't recall a single malfunction with one of them.

No a 22lr is not much or a round when it comes to stopping power but with an easy to shoot gun you can afford to practice with that makes it more likely you will make a more precise shot. Besides I just like 22s and their compact, inexpensive ammo.

And if they ever offer this gun in 32acp I WILL have one of those too. I would have liked the 32 even more than a 22lr.

Last edited by ThomasT; January 8, 2020 at 08:21 PM.
Old January 8, 2020, 08:43 PM   #20
bjw741

ratshooter -- Kel Tec makes a hammer fired DAO 32acp that's the same size as the LCP.

In fact, the original hammer fired LCP was a copy of the Kel Tec design.
Old January 8, 2020, 10:36 PM   #21
ThomasT

Quote:
ratshooter -- Kel Tec makes a hammer fired DAO 32acp that's the same size as the LCP.

In fact, the original hammer fired LCP was a copy of the Kel Tec design.
Yep had one back around 2005 and stupidly sold it. Great little gun. I have a new one on my GB watch list now. I also have a Taurus TCP 738 380 that has the long double action hammer fired set up and its the same size as the LCP.

Here is a good place to visually compare gun sizes to each other.

https://www.handgunhero.com/
Old January 9, 2020, 12:40 AM   #22
Bill DeShivs

The Keltec P32 is actually smaller and lighter than the LCP.
Old January 9, 2020, 10:49 AM   #23
ThomasT

Quote:
The Keltec P32 is actually smaller and lighter than the LCP.
They are for all intents the same size except the Ruger is .21 taller than the Keltec. And thats just because of the tab on the magazine of the Ruger. Remove the finger tab and there is no real difference in size. And yes the Ruger weighs 4oz more. And if thats more steel and less plastic I will take it. And I bet I can carry a 10oz gun as well as a 6oz gun and never know the difference.

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...s-ruger-lcp-ii
Old January 9, 2020, 01:53 PM   #24
Bill DeShivs

Story about weight in a pocket pistol-
Years ago I broke the hammer spring on my Keltec P32 do to an incorrect video. It was almost Christmas and K/T was closed until after the first of the year. No problem- I'll just grab my NAA Guardian .32. Went to work, and at lunch I stopped by a friend's gun shop and bought another P32! There was no way I was going to carry that Little NAA brick!
The LCP is thicker and heavier than the Keltec P3AT, and the P3AT is actually bigger and heavier than the P32. It may not make any difference to you, but it does to me.
Old January 9, 2020, 02:21 PM   #25
ThomasT

Quote:
The LCP is thicker and heavier than the Keltec P3AT, and the P3AT is actually bigger and heavier than the P32. It may not make any difference to you, but it does to me.
Did you even look at the chart I posted a link to? The dimisions are almost exactly the same except for the height and thats because of the finger extension on the magazine.

Kel-Tec P-32--- Ruger LCP II
Length 5.1"--- 5.17"
Height 3.5"--- 3.71"
Width 0.75"--- 0.75"
Weight 6.6 oz--- 10.6 oz
Barrel Length 2.7"--- 2.75"

The specs on the NAA Guardian show it to weigh 20.4 oz. Not really an apples to apples comparison is it?

Last edited by ThomasT; January 9, 2020 at 02:27 PM.