The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 10, 2017, 12:21 PM   #1
MountainMan83

Best High Gloss Gunstock Finish? Tru-Oil isn’t working out for me!

Hi everyone! I recently acquired a Springfield 1903 that was sporterized BEAUTIFULLY in the 1950’s. It has a walnut Fajen-Reinhardt Monte Carlo stock on it. When I bought it, it had a wonderful high gloss, almost mirror, finish, unfortunately it was chipped and cracking due to its old age. I had already tried refinishing it with Tru-Oil but was very unsatisfied with the results. I want something that will hold up to the outdoor conditions and last me for years to come, while looking so shiny I can see myself in it! Any suggestions?
Old November 10, 2017, 03:13 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

"...had a wonderful high gloss..." It an oil finish or polyurethane? It matters.
I'd be guessing it was polyurethane(plastic) due to the cracking and chipping. Oil finishes don't do that. That will have to come off first.
Depends on what kind of polyurethane it was though. If it's yellowing, that'd be good. Means it's oil based poly and will come off with normal varnish remover and some sanding. If it's clear, it's even better. That's water based poly and alcohol (the rubbing kind) will dissolve it.
Tru-Oil is a blend of assorted oils. It won't go on polyurethane. Neither will pure tung oil(Not Tung Oil Finish). Or any other oil finish. You must strip the old finish off first, whatever it is.
After that wood is wood. You use the same products and techniques used on fine furniture. (Just be advised that a high gloss finish on wood is extremely time consuming. It's absolutely not a wipe on, one week end project. And no power/rotary tools are involved. It's strictly a hand done thing.)
Best you read a few wood furniture finishing books first.
Pure Tung Oil is your friend. It gives a hard, waterproof, shiney(but not that high gloss of plastic unless you spend weeks rubbing. The more layers with 24 hours drying time between 'em, the shinier the finish.) finish. It does not get painted on and left to dry either. It requires a clean, lint free, cloth for every application.
Old November 10, 2017, 03:17 PM   #3
Dufus

MINWAX Helmsman Spar Urethane works for me. I use the gloss and the semi- gloss.
Old November 10, 2017, 03:23 PM   #4
MountainMan83

What’s the best way to apply the Helmsman gloss? I’ve been looking into it and was thinking about getting it.
Old November 10, 2017, 04:14 PM   #5
tobnpr

Tru-Oil is great stuff, but application is tricky if you're not experienced with it.
It's critical to keep a wet edge (I use a nitrile glove), dipping my index and middle fingers into a small bowl of it and spread evenly as I move down the stock. If the edge dries, you're screwed and you get visible lap marks. It needs to "flow", and the edges set up quickly.

Tru-Oil makes a spray-on product which should be easier to apply, though I haven't used it.
I used to own a small yacht with a ton of teakwood on it. To get that very deep " mirror" reflection, it takes a lot of coats (and patience) if that's the " look" you're going for.

If you're just looking for high-gloss, I'd go with a simple spray polyurethane. Easy-peasy.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old November 10, 2017, 04:36 PM   #6
Dufus

Quote:
What’s the best way to apply the Helmsman gloss? I’ve been looking into it and was thinking about getting it.
First I put on a pair of disposal gloves....the ones that you would use in food prep.

Then using a good lint free rag (I use lint free paper rags), rub it on and let it dry and throw the gloves away. Follow directions on the can.

Usually takes me 6-9 applications because it goes on very thin. I have had great results on several firearms (a dozen or so...not sure exactly how many).
Old November 10, 2017, 04:55 PM   #7
MountainMan83

Thank you Dufus! I plan on trying it...being an exterior urethane I’m sure it will hold up in whitetail hunting conditions!
Old November 10, 2017, 08:09 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

Automotive lacquer.

Almost bulletproof on a gun stock.
Old November 11, 2017, 09:02 AM   #9
Don Fischer

I've used different spray on finish, don't remember what they were called. But mostly I use Tru Oil. I rub it on in small circle's with 500 gri wet and dry sandpaper, a bunch of really thin coats like that fill the poor's in the wood. After I'm ratified I use 0000 steel wool and linseed oil to rub out the finish, I don't do gloss finish anymore at all. When I did gloss finish I still used Tru Oil and put the last coat on with my finger's and didn't rub it out. Lin Speed used to be around in a spray and lot of guys liked it. Problem with me was I couldn't spray it on without getting drips! Read an article years ago about reg spray on finish and the author said don't worry about run's. Just rub them out, when dry, with 0000 steel wool. Did one that way and it did work but like the tru Oil a lot better! Like low gloss finish or satin finish.