The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 9, 2021, 09:53 PM   #26
wild cat mccane

Is there a non $$$$ solution for him to not have failures on his $1,400 shotgun for holding it too tight...on a defensive shotgun?
Old February 9, 2021, 10:45 PM   #27
Carl the Floor Walker

This very well might not ever be a issue for the OP, but just like the internet, someone mentions a issue on any gun and there it goes, running off the charts and now all of the particular gun's or shotgun's etc are plaqued with the issue. When in fact a "Real owner" might not ever see the issue in a lifetime. We could easily do a google and find a issue with a 1301 and do the same thing.(and they have issues) Post one and start slamming the gun.
I hope the OP knows how the internet works. He has bought a fantastic shotgun. Owned and love by thousands. There is no need to BORROW trouble that might not ever exist. If he had bought a 1301 then their could easily be a internet poster that starts the same kind of Parroting against that gun.
Again, to the OP, Congrats, you have bought a fantastic shotgun, very well made and respected throughout the world.
Get to know your gun, just like every one should get to know any gun they own. Any can have failures, or preferences etc.
Old February 10, 2021, 06:33 PM   #28
MarkCO

Well said Carl.
Old February 10, 2021, 07:41 PM   #29
wild cat mccane

Dude literally said he had an issue.
Old February 11, 2021, 10:38 AM   #30
FAS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lowman View Post
I ran 50 heavy game loads through it today. Fired 10 from the hip and a few one handed from the hip. Reliability was 10 for 10 as long as I kept both hands on the gun. Not so great one handed, I had one failure to feed out of 3 shells... but I wasn't expecting much...
Are you planning on using it one handed from the hip? I have fired my 1201FP with the choate combo pistol grip butt stock one handed with the butt under my armpit with no malfunctions. I can't see any real circumstance that I will fire it one handed from the hip.
Old February 12, 2021, 05:18 PM   #31
Willie Lowman

Calm down everybody.

I appreciate the advice to get a Beretta but I don't think I will. So far my Benelli isn't even broken in. I have yet to fire it with full powered buckshot which it what it's intended purpose is.
Old February 12, 2021, 05:29 PM   #32
FAS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lowman View Post
Calm down everybody.

I appreciate the advice to get a Beretta but I don't think I will. So far my Benelli isn't even broken in. I have yet to fire it with full powered buckshot which it what it's intended purpose is.

If you are referencing me, I never said to get a Beretta. My comparison is based on them having the same action, that’s all.

My Benelli is a all around field gun with wood stocks and no pistol grip so it handles a little different.

Both of my inertia driven shotguns perform well and they stay very clean since they don’t cycle the action with dirty gas.
Old February 13, 2021, 05:46 PM   #33
Terrierman

I've had an M1 Super 90 for 20 years or so. It's a hunting shotgun. Flawless performance in that role. After doing some reading, I wondered if it would function if fired from the hip so tried it. Eject yes, pick up another round nope.

Great shotgun, super reliable and easy to clean. Would not hesitate to put it in HD service as it is.
Old February 13, 2021, 06:22 PM   #34
Carl the Floor Walker

Received my Beretta 1200f from the gun smith a few days ago. Had the barrel cut down to 20". Now just cleaned it and again the ease of cleaning is worth a lot. Here is a video of cleaning the Beneilli super 90 which is basically the same gun.
Just like all firearms there are tradeoffs for what you want. This cleaning is about as simple as it gets and few parts to boot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJW4j9TcrjM
Old February 13, 2021, 09:01 PM   #35
amd6547

I bought a Beretta 1201FP that was Detroit PD surplus about five years ago...
All I have shot through it was full power slugs and 00 buck. It has worked perfectly, though I admit, I didn’t shoot one handed. I tried a little reduced recoil Federal #1 buck through it, and that functioned also.
The only problem I’ve had? There is some kind of spring that is supposed to hold the trigger assembly pin in. Apparently, when I cleaned the shotgun after my last range trip, the retainer spring fell out, so there is nothing keeping the trigger assembly pin from falling out...which lets the trigger assembly fall out. Right now, it’s held in with a piece of black duct tape on either side of the reciever.
Nobody seems to have the retainer for sale.
Old February 13, 2021, 09:09 PM   #36
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd6547 View Post
I bought a Beretta 1201FP that was Detroit PD surplus about five years ago...
All I have shot through it was full power slugs and 00 buck. It has worked perfectly, though I admit, I didn’t shoot one handed. I tried a little reduced recoil Federal #1 buck through it, and that functioned also.
The only problem I’ve had? There is some kind of spring that is supposed to hold the trigger assembly pin in. Apparently, when I cleaned the shotgun after my last range trip, the retainer spring fell out, so there is nothing keeping the trigger assembly pin from falling out...which lets the trigger assembly fall out. Right now, it’s held in with a piece of black duct tape on either side of the reciever.
Nobody seems to have the retainer for sale.
What part are you talking about?
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/bere...ts.html?page=3

This part?
Beretta 1200 1201 Trigger Spring

$5.25

Not Yet Rated

Code: C90086

In Stock

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; February 13, 2021 at 09:18 PM.
Old February 13, 2021, 10:34 PM   #37
amd6547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
What part are you talking about?
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/bere...ts.html?page=3

This part?
Beretta 1200 1201 Trigger Spring

$5.25

Not Yet Rated

Code: C90086

In Stock
I believe it is part #30 on that diagram...”hammer bushing circlip”.
Old February 14, 2021, 09:21 PM   #38
Creek Henry

I have the Franchi version, which has Benelli guts and better furniture, for 2/3 the price. I got the 20 and really like it. The only feeding problems I've had were from me not dropping the bolt enough... Closing it slowly means it may not engage correctly so it doesn't go bang when you pull the trigger. Other than that, flawless operation and the great gun
Old February 15, 2021, 09:31 AM   #39
Carl the Floor Walker

Yesterday, myself and a range buddy took my old 1200 Beretta inertia to the rang with the freshly cut down barrel to 20". We brought along 200 shells of mixed light loaded bird shot and 75 rds of buckshot. The Beretta ran flawlessly and never missed a beat. We shot the gun with Buckshot from7 yds to 25 yds. (since it is now regulated to home defense and now just cylinder bore. We were both surprise how well the gun grouped at the 20-25 yd distance. Nice kill zone shots at 15 yds. More like a improved cylinder. (have have read that the 1201 actually has a smaller diameter barrel which is the model for police and Military. I have a feeling the 1200 is the same barrel.
In essence, I have to say I believe the internet complaints of failure with light loads are over exaggerated. Maybe with some shotguns it is a Issue. But certainly has never been with this particular gun. And this is a light gun and even lighter with 8 inches of the barrel cut off.
And recoil no problem. We used the "Passt" recoil pads which are Great. I woke up this morning thinking I may have some slight muscle soreness, but had zero. I do want to get a cheek pad, as I did feel that on the stock.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; February 15, 2021 at 09:46 AM.
Old February 15, 2021, 04:01 PM   #40
Carl the Floor Walker

By the way, if anyone is interested, I had the Beretta 1200 barrel cut down to 20 inches and the cost by the gun smith was $80.00. And he did a wonderful job. I like this gun for home defense, but I may decide to have him drill for chokes. I can rent the tool for $40.00 and he said he would do it if I rented it. However I love the Stoeger OU now with the 20" barrel that I doubt I will do it. The Stoeger is drilled for Beretta/Benilli mobile chokes.
Old August 3, 2021, 12:20 PM   #41
Lima Oscar 7

I Duck hunt with a Benelli M2 28” barrel using 12 Gauge 3” 1-3/8 oz. #2 Steel Shot. If you don’t get a firm cheek weld and/or mount on the shotgun, it jams. The upside is the light weight and relative ease of maintenance.
Old August 3, 2021, 10:27 PM   #42
Virginian

I wanna see someone cause a Benelli to malfunction by holding it too tight.
Old August 4, 2021, 12:35 AM   #43
Lima Oscar 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
I wanna see someone cause a Benelli to malfunction by holding it too tight.
Benelli’s have their quirks——-IMHO they do not pattern steel shot as well as the Browning/Winchester Invector Plus, you must let the bolt slam home on the first shell for Pre-SBE III models and most barrels are 60/40 versus 50/50. That said, I have hunted for 50 years and guided for 7 of those 50 years and in my experience from the late 1980’s when Benellis hit the scene, they don’t jam from a mount that is too firm. That said, I don’t do III Gun and all my experience has been with heavy Duck and Goose loads. They work for me but I know their limitations. I didn’t clean my M2 for the first two seasons sans a cursory wipe down and bore snake and it never jammed if I did my part and shouldered it firmly. They are a dream to carry on a 1/2 mile walk into the Flooded Timber of Eastern Arkansas as well. The heavy Berettas, Remingtons and Winchesters get old quick from my time with them.
Old August 4, 2021, 12:56 AM   #44
Lima Oscar 7

May I also add I no longer shoot 3.5” magnums and the Kicks High Flyer Full (.702 ——- technically a Modified Choke for the Benelli Crio Barrel), is deadly in the flooded sloughs of North Texas and the Flooded Timber of Eastern Arkansas at 30 yards and in.

To Wit: #4 Hevi Steel at 25 yards —- two shots with the KHF Full and 28” barrel. High but effective.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 239E8C8D-1DEF-47BB-A5AF-B6DBD8E41251.jpeg (184.3 KB, 10 views)