The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 23, 2021, 07:06 AM   #26
reubenray

My range bag has separate sections for the guns, ammo, ear muffs and glasses. It also has a flap for targets, note pads, etc. I don't have a stapler, but I do have masking tape. I plan on going by the two ranges close to me to visit prior to actually using it.
Old January 23, 2021, 12:53 PM   #27
Erno86

For the outdoor range: A pair of long handled hemostatic forceps (used for grasping any debris stuck in the target frame holes). And some kind of long handled ice chipper (like a screwdriver), for chipping ice or digging dirt out of the frame holes.

For deep snow covered ranges: A snow shovel or snow plow.

For the cold days: Sometimes I bring my portable propane heater --- Though the RSO's claim that I'm "cheating with it."

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; January 23, 2021 at 01:27 PM.
Old January 23, 2021, 04:37 PM   #28
ghbucky

Quote:
For deep snow covered ranges: A snow shovel or snow plow.
This right here is why God invented indoor ranges
Old January 24, 2021, 10:03 PM   #29
Shadow9mm

In regard to the reloads. Personally I would shoot 1. See how the recoil is compared to the factory ammo you have. check to see if the primer is flattened out. If the recoil seems normal, and the primers look normal, I, personally, would shoot them if it were just a box or so.

When I do reloads I ALWAYS label them, Bullet brand and weight, powder brand and weight, primer brand. brass brand, OAL... I rarely give out my reloads though.

You could possibly reload them. you will have to change powders as the powder in them will be unknown. Your brother could pull the bullets, resize the casings (with the decapping pin removed) and put a known powder of a known amount in and put the bullets back in.

If you can, hanging out with your brother and learning about loading, or having him help you through a small batch say 50rnds start to finish would be a good learning experience for you if nothing else.
Old January 25, 2021, 07:43 PM   #30
reubenray

After reading the thread about preventing thefts at the range should I be concerned. Aren't there range employees around when people are shooting? The outdoor range I mentioned is in a small rural town if that makes any difference. I would think this would be hard to do at an indoor range.

On the discussion of reloads I was told I may be able to get reloads at the ranges that they reload themselves. I don't need them for my 9MM, but I do for the 38 special.
Old January 27, 2021, 02:05 PM   #31
Erno86

Thefts are not common at our outdoor range, but it happens occasionally.

Our 200 yard range has a parking lot that you can't see well from the firing pad. Don't leave any visual valuables in vehicles. Don't leave guns alone on the 200 yard firing pad, if your gonna post a target; unless you can get somebody to watch them.

Guns have been stolen from the gunracks, located right behind our 100 yard firing pad. One shooter had his portable reloading box, filled with dies, stolen right out of his open tailgate of his SUV.

And don't forget to doublecheck your former firing position, before you leave the range.

If something is stolen...look for hiding places on or around the range, where somebody might have stashed it --- Only to be picked-up later.

--- George Orwell