The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 14, 2022, 10:38 AM   #1
taylorce1

I took the advice!

My M788 .30-30 is safe, for now anyway. I just purchased a Bergara BMR .22 lr with the 18" steel barrel. I purchased through Brownell's and I was able to get $65 off a purchase of $500+ (Nov65 code) and had a gift card of $50. That got the rifle delivered to my FFL for $484.09 after taxes. I don't have a clue as to what I'm using for an optic yet, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.
Old November 14, 2022, 10:59 AM   #2
USAF Ret

Very nice. Would love to see the pics when you get her all set up. Very interested to see what kind of accuracy you are getting.
Old November 14, 2022, 02:10 PM   #3
stagpanther

Quote:
My M788 .30-30 is safe, for now anyway. I just purchased a Bergara BMR .22 lr with the 18" steel barrel. I purchased through Brownell's and I was able to get $65 off a purchase of $500+ (Nov65 code) and had a gift card of $50. That got the rifle delivered to my FFL for $484.09 after taxes. I don't have a clue as to what I'm using for an optic yet, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.
You can thank me later...

Congrats on the Bergara .22--I've heard good things about them and await your reports. .22 lr is an addiction unto itself and immensely fun! BTW--IMO Bergara makes one of the best synthetic stocks I've ever used, I like their formulation much more than a Bell and Carlson.

Last edited by stagpanther; November 14, 2022 at 02:16 PM.
Old November 15, 2022, 10:08 AM   #4
taylorce1

Well since it looks like I won't be headed to work today, I went scope shopping this morning. Ordered up a demo model of an Athlon Talos 3-12X40 scope off of SWFA Sample List. I has a side parallax adjustment down to 15 yards, so it looked like it would work well on a .22 LR. I have no experience with either the Athlon or Bergara BMR so looks like I'll have to let y'all know!
Old November 19, 2022, 02:03 PM   #5
DaleA

I've got a Bergara BMR .22LR 18 inch steel barrel and it is easily the most accurate .22 LR that I've shot outside of 'real' competition .22LR like Anschutz 54's or Winchester 52's or the like.

What really amazed me is the trigger. Mine is very light and (it's hard to remember) I think just as good as the target rifles I used to shoot. When I was shooting all our triggers had to be set to three pounds or higher although they were capable of being set much lighter.

I went the cheap route and put a Tasco scope on mine. I had a Tasco telescope for viewing the moon and the planets when I was a kid and have a soft spot for them. It's...adequate for my needs. I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy your scope a lot more and rifle itself.

Bergara also makes the BXR .22 which is a semi-auto and takes Ruger 10/22 magazines. I've got a 10/22 but have never been impressed all that much with its accuracy and have always thought about trying out the Bergara. Just might be with Christmas on the way that could be my present to me.
Old November 19, 2022, 04:14 PM   #6
Scorch

Quote:
I took the advice!
Careful! That could cost you your man card!
Quote:
My M788 .30-30 is safe
Good. You had me cringeing, but I didn't say anything.
Quote:
Ordered up a demo model of an Athlon Talos 3-12X40 scope
After almost 40 years of seeing new scope makes show up and make great claims then disappear, I was kind of sceptical when I first saw Athlon. But after 5 or so years hearing people's experience with them, I put a 4-15X32 on an AR i recently built for my son. It's a nice scope! Clear, no hokie focus issues so far, so I'm willing to give Athlon a vote for good to go. Not that an AR is going to be very rough on a scope, but the 338-378 Weatherby I saw the first one on probably was, and it's still wearing it!
Old November 19, 2022, 08:47 PM   #7
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleA
I went the cheap route and put a Tasco scope on mine.
My scope was barely over $120 delivered.
Old November 20, 2022, 01:41 PM   #8
DaleA

An excellent deal. A quick check on my part found the scope on Amazon for $195 and it was about the same price at Midway USA.

https://www.amazon.com/3-12x40-Rifle.../dp/B08DV9PKH4

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1094688605901

If your rifle is anything like mine I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it a lot.
Old November 21, 2022, 05:44 PM   #9
DaleA

Here's some results from my Bergara BMR shot from a rest with my Tasco 2-7x32 scope. (I believe Tasco discontinued this scope a while back). Note: the rifle is undoubtedly capable of tighter groups than I shot but I am very pleased with it and once again, I'm really, really impressed with the trigger on the rifle. Note: The flyer on the CCI was totally on me. I knew when the rifle fired it was going to be off to the right.

IMG_7254.JPG

IMG_7257.JPG

IMG_7258.JPG
Old November 21, 2022, 05:47 PM   #10
DaleA

Here's one more target from my Bergara BMR. The rifle seems to shoot all ammo very well, even the 'budget' ammo.

IMG_7261.JPG
Old November 21, 2022, 08:38 PM   #11
USAF Ret

Very nice. Minute of squirrel.
Old November 27, 2022, 11:46 AM   #12
taylorce1

Well I picked up the rifle from my FFL yesterday and while I was there I also purchased a Ruger LC9 Max for the wife. I was looking at a sporterized Carl Gustav M38 when my wife was looking at the pistols, I had fully intended to buy that rifle until my wife wanted the LC9. Merry Christmas Wifey!

Anyway I got my rifle home and had set of Burris Signature Low rings and mounted up the scope. I probably should of used mediums but low is what I had and the scope clears the barrel by about the thickness of two index cards. I'm glad it's a .22 LR!

After mounting the scope I pulled the bolt and bore sighted the scope using a soda can about 25 yards away. I was using the right rear corner of my pickup bed as a makeshift rest. After boresighting, I decided to see how close I was to sighted in, and loaded up a magazine of CCI Standard Velocity 40 grain and spun on my Silencer CO Sparrow and proceeded to plink away in my driveway into a dirt bank behind my garage (I live on ll acres a few miles out of town). I do have a 100+ yard range on my property, but my didn't feel like walking to the other end of the property.

I'd say I'm good enough to be on paper! I'll take it out and put it on some bags and do some actual groups, but it was fun to make the can dance. Also it was very quiet with the Sparrow on the barrel, but I'll test several other ammunition types when I get a chance.
Old November 27, 2022, 04:42 PM   #13
DaleA

New gun day is almost always a good day.

Looks like the Bergara is shooting fine.
You've got a suppressor AND a shooting range on your property? Color me envious. Good luck and good shooting.
Old November 27, 2022, 08:40 PM   #14
USAF Ret

Can't wait to see group tests. Very nice rifle!
Old November 28, 2022, 10:39 PM   #15
taylorce1

I did shoot some groups today, it was a little windy so I didn't go past 25 yards. I think I'm going to spend some more time with the Aquila Super Extra standard velocity ammunition. I didn't clean the rifle properly before shooting Saturday. Since it snowed Sunday, I cleaneed the rifle

All groups are 10 shots each, except you'll see five fouling shots on one target. I used CCI 40 gr standard velocity for the fouling shots. I only wrote the speed if it was listed on the box, I didn't want to mess with the chronograph today.

The Remington Viper and CCI Stingers grouped way better than I thought they would.

Old November 29, 2022, 05:22 AM   #16
stagpanther

It's expensive--but try some SK, RWS or Ely at 100 yds or more--the rest of the bulk stuff won't be able to compete with premium ammo--with the possible exception of Norma's Tac 22 which I've found to be one of the best bulk economy ammos. I don't know about other 22lr shooters, but I try to stick with one type of ammo in the bore--don't like mixing jacketed and cast. Keep an eye on the lead build-up where the bullet seats in the chamber.
Old December 5, 2022, 09:39 PM   #17
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleA
You've got a suppressor AND a shooting range on your property? Color me envious. Good luck and good shootin

I did a little work on the range today, finally go ahold of some more scrap wood. The only things I purchased was the posts, asphalt board, and some screws. I need to haul in some more dirt! It's still about 4.5' tall behind the target backer, so I can still shoot close range with my rimfires with targets at the bottom.

I built the target frame so that the whole thing slides left and falls out so I could hang steel in the window off of hooks lagged into the top 2X6. I think I'll mount the steel more permanently and just leave the backer in. I built it tall enough it'll be comfortable to shoot pistols at when I get my dirt pile back up.

I found an old RR tie and got my rimfire poppers out of the dirt. They were sitting in front of window I put the backer in. I'm not sure where I'm going to place them next, now that I've completed the frame on the target backer.

I've been using those old campaign signs that you poke in the ground for target stands. They work surprisingly well to staple targets to. They just make you have to aim low from my portable bench. I was given a couple of old wood shooting benches that need repair, once I get some more scraps together I'll tackle them.

Last edited by taylorce1; December 8, 2022 at 11:33 PM.
Old December 7, 2022, 07:00 PM   #18
DaleA

We've got some very nice indoor and outdoor ranges in and around the Twin Cities MN but that just cannot compare with being able to go out on your own land and shoot any which way you want.

You've got a NICE setup there!
Old December 8, 2022, 11:54 PM   #19
taylorce1

Did some more work to the range on the range on the 6th. I still nee more dirt, but I'm good to shoot now.

Dirt pile is getting bigger!

Good enough for now.

Gratuitous rifle picture to stay on topic.

20 rounds at 50 yards, the rifle like Aquila Super Extra SV!

@ stagpanther, I have some Norma on order to try.
Old December 9, 2022, 12:54 AM   #20
stagpanther

Right now ammo manufacturers still haven't "conquered" the supersonic accuracy barrier for 22 lr--some say it may never be.
Old December 9, 2022, 08:24 AM   #21
taylorce1

Well subsonic is fine by me, quiet is part of my goal.
Old December 16, 2022, 09:09 PM   #22
taylorce1

@stagpanther,

The Norma ammo came in today, if I get a chance I'll shoot tomorrow. Looks like we might hit 40⁰ tomorrow, it has been a little frigid this week. I'm just not as hard-core as a guy from Maine about shooting in the hi 20⁰s.

Thought I'd try their Match-22 ammo as well. Specs are the same as the Tac-22, just twice as expensive. I could have bought four bricks for the cost of three if I had stuck with the Tac-22.