The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 26, 2020, 11:00 AM   #1
MikeGoob

Question about holster fit

Probably a lot of us are in a lifestyle where we are often sitting down and standing up the whole time we're carrying concealed. I find that when sitting I adjust the holster so it is comfortable to sit, THIS ALSO make it easy to draw from while seated if needed. When standing, I casually adjust it again for the same reason... [edit to explain what adjusting I do]: I usually hike up the gun so it wont dig, perhaps lift my whole belt a little while sitting.. then shift it down again when standing.

Question: Should a holster not need any adjustment for sitting and standing (once it's set, you leave it)? I can understand if it's not ideal but perhaps it's an 'overweight' thing?
Old June 26, 2020, 12:47 PM   #2
5whiskey

It is an issue with your body shape and style, type of belt, position of carry, size of firearm, and fit of the holster. Going from standing to seated with an IWB carry, and especially from seated back to standing, often does require some adjustment. Especially if you’ve got a belly. I’ve carried as a skinny guy and as a fairly overweight guy. It’s generally easier on the skinny guy.

A better belt may help a lot. Changing to 4-430 carry position will likely help. Also a holster with more surface area bearing on the body tends to need to be adjusted less. Doesn’t always equal more comfort, but often needs to be adjusted less. At the expense of sweating more. Leather is usually more comfortable IWB, but it has drawbacks to a degree because it retains moisture.

I make holsters and I’ve tried a lot of different designs/stuff in the search of comfort. What I found is most decent holsters (both ones I’ve made and bought) with a little bit of effort in design will be more comfortable with a good wide belt versus a crappy belt. A good belt will help a crappy holster only so much though.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old June 26, 2020, 01:40 PM   #3
MikeGoob

Thank you for your answer--I am wondering if I'm doing things completely wrong or if my holster hunt is not over. I'll look into your suggestions.. If a little shifting around is normal I am happy with things.
Old June 26, 2020, 08:42 PM   #4
rodfac

Well said, 5Whiskey; I have the same background...make my own holsters and carry a variety of handguns...your comment about a good belt is right on the mark.

I make mine, both holsters and gun belts for the 1-1/2" loops on a pair of jeans, as that's usually what I'm wearing 8 months of the year. The belt is at least double thickness when compared to what you'd buy in a clothing shop. 10-12 oz leather.

The alternative is one of the "Instructor" type of double nylon with an inner core ones. My problem with them is they look too "tactical" in the current vernacular. When I see one, I immediately look for the telltale bulge of a gun. Leather is less revealing IMHO.

As to holster fit, location, and adjustments: I carry 95% of the time in an OWB of my own design (a close copy of the old Tom Threepersons open top). I use the 3:30-4:00 position for its comfort and the ease of presentation. I've done so for the past 50+ years. The only place if find it a hindrance is when using a seat belt in our cars. But then, the chances of having to draw while seated in a vehicle is minimal in our daily lives. The rest of the time, a shirt of some sort in hot wx or a jacket covers the gun. My body type, including a modest pot belly does not hinder that placement. And too, I'm routinely carrying up to 4" revolvers as well as ~4" autos.

YMMv Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; June 26, 2020 at 08:49 PM.
Old June 27, 2020, 02:46 AM   #5
5whiskey

Rodfac it appears we share similar tastes. If I can get away with it I prefer OWB, and often with a G19 sized firearm. My only problem is I am 6’4” and I have a really long torso, so finding shirts that hang low enough is at times a challenge. It’s easier with button up shirts I often wear in the fall through winter. In my standard casual summer attire I am often forced to carry smaller, and IWB, as I simply cannot find polo or t-shirts that have a long enough tail that won’t hike up from arm movement so slight as reaching on a top shelf. I suppose I could custom order some, or buy boutique specialty shirts, but too much money.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old June 27, 2020, 09:33 AM   #6
OneFreeTexan

I carried shoulder holster for 30 years, now retired and I just saw a cross draw holster, that interested me....I am right handed, so it would be on my left side, at my belt,,,it said it was good for carrying where you are seated a lot, and or driving....It woiuln’t get hit by the center console all the time,, and I’m used to pulling my gun from that side anyway.
It looked like it rode above the seat belt while driving

Anyone tried ‘cross draw’?