The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 18, 2018, 08:43 AM   #1
Bwillsonhunter4

yote problems

problem is my grandma has one that has been hanging around her house and stealing her cats. we assume it has pups in a fence row because my dad got within about 40 yards of it when he was planting at about 4pm. i am wondering what sound i should use this time of year to hunt it since trapping is out of season. i have all the typical calls like yote pups, squealing rabbits, fawn, howling but ive never hunted this time of year so i dont know what i should use. also would it be worth while hunting during the day? like a morning and evening sit like i do for deer?
Old May 18, 2018, 09:23 AM   #2
zplinker

They are very protective of their territory when denning, and any 'intruder' sounds should work well. They hate dogs, so something on that order should be fun. If they've been dining on cats, that would be a top choice too.
Old May 18, 2018, 09:24 AM   #3
Fla_dogman

In my experience hunting around houses they are more comfortable with human scent and activities but that means they are more observant too. They usually howl late nights or early morning well before daylight. Hunting during the day is not impossible but difficult but night hunting will be easier. You might try baiting them up in a location that gives you the ability to shoot from cover like near a barn or stable. It might take weeks of baiting without incident to get them trained and comfortable to come out just before dark. Much like a yard dog that gets fed every day at the same time they might become comfortable enough to come in around dark if they feel safe and they have some cover to emerge from. And BTW we've had a lot of success this time of year with pup distress calls if you want to call to them

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Old May 18, 2018, 10:20 AM   #4
Bwillsonhunter4

just so you know it was up on the deck last night and dad got within 40 yards with a 8760 in broad daylight so i dont thin k it is too scared of humans
Old May 18, 2018, 10:23 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I don't know what state you're in, so: In Texas, trapping for hide sales must be licensed. It's a commercial thing. Killing or trapping coyotes as pests is an "anywhere, any time" sort of deal. You can keep the hide if you wish, but you can't sell it.
Old May 18, 2018, 10:23 AM   #6
Double Naught Spy

Since the yote is after easy food pickings, I would use simple animal distress sounds, anything high pitched. Since the coyote is so close, I would not play it too loudly.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:38 AM   #7
hagar

My experience with coyotes that live close to houses, rabbit calls don't work too well. But these little children or dog squeaky toys work like a charm. Don't over use it, just squeeze once or twice and wait at least 30 seconds before doing it again. Shotgun with copper plated bb's is your friend..
Old May 18, 2018, 12:46 PM   #8
bamaranger

way

Be sure and check if what I am going to describe is legal. But If you want an edge on killing this pest coyote, here is a way. Essentially you will be hunting the coyote over bait.

Coyotes feed willingly on carcasses of all kinds. They are also drawn to any type of carrion or rotten scrap meat. You can either stake out a carcass (you may not be able to legally move a game animal, check first!) or, you can put meat scraps in a pail in shooting range. Set up downwind, dawn, or dusk.

I'd be tempted to try it from the deck if legal. I don't advocate breaking the law, but if you are losing pets to this critter, fair chase goes out the window in my book.
Old May 19, 2018, 02:12 PM   #9
std7mag

Check your legalities and area. Aka how close to the neighbors.
Here in PA yotes are legal 24/7.
I'd use kitten sounds, since it already has an appetite for cats.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old May 21, 2018, 11:06 AM   #10
thallub

A rabbit or fawn distress call works well for me.

My favorite coyote hunting method is watching the gut pile after field dressing a deer or hog.

Recently i shot a hog at about 6:30 pm. After field dressing the hog i drove the truck away and returned to my blind. Within 30 minutes a big male coyote came in. Gotcha!!!
Old May 21, 2018, 02:48 PM   #11
the possum

For starters, keep a shotgun on the tractor. (check your laws, blah blah blah)
Old May 22, 2018, 06:28 AM   #12
Mobuck

Any time game regulations put people at risk, it's time to ignore those regulations. Having things like coyotes, bobcats, or bigger cats so close to habitation is an invitation for problems.
Old May 22, 2018, 08:41 AM   #13
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck View Post
Any time game regulations put people at risk, it's time to ignore those regulations. Having things like coyotes, bobcats, or bigger cats so close to habitation is an invitation for problems.
Doubt if there is a game regulation anywhere in the U.S. outlawing protecting one's life from wild animals. Odds of one's life being in danger from a 'yote or bobcat in the lower 48 is pretty dang slim. If one is feeling threatened, they should call wildlife authorities first for a solution. Around here, we have folks that shoot bears because they tell the Warden they were under attack, yet the evidence proves otherwise and they are many times given a ticket for illegal hunting. For the most part, poaching is poaching. IMHO, Endorsing it or the promotion of it, is out of place, on any respectable public hunting forum.

If grandma is letting her cats run loose, unattended outside, she is just ringing the dinner bell. She needs to blame herself and not the 'yotes. While I have no problem with the legal hunting and controlling their populations, doing it illegally is unnecessary.
Old May 22, 2018, 09:09 AM   #14
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Probably find hunting regs online. Can for Texas, anyway. Most other states also, SFAIK.

I've had success calling coyotes in daytime. Mouth call; wounded rabbit. Also success with a "baby boom-box" and a wounded rabbit tape.
Old May 22, 2018, 09:12 AM   #15
Tallest

I would get rid of the cats... both problems solved. Just kidding! (sort of)

But in all seriousness... I'm with Thallub - the distressed rabbit has given me the most consistent success.

And, at night, a dead rabbit, possum, skunk, squirrel, raccoon, groundhog... small pest critter of your choice, between you and the den makes a great incentive and homing point. I have used that successfully when hunting fencerow dens multiple times. You just have to plan to take the .22 out early and get some bait. Be sure you check your local laws, but normally such vermin are not off limits.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan

Last edited by Tallest; May 22, 2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old May 22, 2018, 10:53 AM   #16
JeepHammer

Rabbit in distress is a free meal, which always works, unless there is a crap load of varmint hunters around, then they learn the difference between mechanical & natural sound.

As to territories, urine on YOUR side of fence posts & trees, up higher than the typical coyote can mark, not way up above their heads.
(Any free range chicken/turkey farmer knows this works, not many of them left anymore)
This might slow down the poaching of cats until you get a crack at shooting it.
Don't let your 'Captured' urine get too old, they can tell the difference.
Old May 22, 2018, 07:27 PM   #17
Mobuck

"If grandma is letting her cats run loose, unattended outside, she is just ringing the dinner bell. She needs to blame herself and not the 'yotes."

You do realize that not everyone lets pets in the house-especially rural folks. Cats on the prowl close to the house are a necessary evil( I seriously dislike cats BTW)to control rodents. Wild animals( especially predators) that encroach on human habitation need to be controlled.
Old May 25, 2018, 08:25 AM   #18
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck View Post

You do realize that not everyone lets pets in the house-especially rural folks. Cats on the prowl close to the house are a necessary evil( I seriously dislike cats BTW)to control rodents. Wild animals( especially predators) that encroach on human habitation need to be controlled.
I've lived in rural areas all my life. I've lived on a farm and milked cows. Barn cats and outside cats were just that........and we accepted the fact they may be taken by something else. Kinda how it works. Smart cats learned to avoid depredation, dumb cats became someone's lunch or ended up going thru the baler.

As I said in my previous post,
Quote:
While I have no problem with the legal hunting and controlling their populations, doing it illegally is unnecessary.
I just don't condone poaching and illegal practices to do so. It's really not necessary to be criminal, don't know why you think it is.
Old May 25, 2018, 09:11 AM   #19
Mobuck

"It's really not necessary to be criminal, don't know why you think it is."
After dealing with the bunny cops as a farmer/landowner for 50 years, I'll confirm that it IS NECESSARY to be "criminal" at times simply because it's the ONLY way to deal with "their(meaning the state) critters".
Sure, you can call the bunny cop with a problem but that doesn't mean the problem will be dealt with or resolved. You'll get the standard reply of "We don't have time" or "We don't have the manpower" or "We don't have the funding". All the while, piles of time and $$ are spent studying the nesting habits of the "joker bird" or some such oddity.
The term S S S didn't originate because of stellar cooperation by state wildlife agencies.
Old May 25, 2018, 09:42 AM   #20
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Let those who have never, ever, broken a traffic law be concerned about the morality or legality of how somebody deals with predatory varmints.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:04 AM   #21
ocharry

i agree with MoBuck,,sometimes it is just easier to end the problem

raccoons and coyotes,,,especially raccoons,,, seem to never learn around here,,as hard as i try to keep this put up and put away they always seem to want to mess things up,,,SO,,, i handle it,,,,if they stay away they are pretty much safe,,,,if not,,,well criminal or not S S S

my .02

ocharry
Old May 26, 2018, 05:44 AM   #22
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Eatman View Post
Let those who have never, ever, broken a traffic law be concerned about the morality or legality of how somebody deals with predatory varmints.
Poachers/violators always have some form of excuse to try and validate their crimes. It's really sad that a "staff leader" on a popular gun website has to attempt it. Funny how one gets a warning or reprimand here for using a cuss word or anything else that the so called "staff leaders" deem inappropriate, but then they readily endorse poaching.
Old May 26, 2018, 06:51 AM   #23
Mobuck

"Poachers/violators always have some form of excuse to try and validate their crimes."

What color is the Kool-Aid you've been drinking?
Old May 26, 2018, 09:06 AM   #24
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

As Texas law is written, particularly for those with a hunting license, it is impossible to be a poacher when shooting coyotes. Anywhere, any time (other than within municipal limits).

And I was speaking to the morality of the method of the kill, not the legality.

WRT predators, only the commercial sale of hides has to deal with regulations.
Old May 26, 2018, 04:48 PM   #25
Mainah

We’re talking about managing coyotes not harvesting rhino horns.