The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old April 16, 2018, 02:16 AM   #1
chris in va

Rifle caliber PC question

Anyone have first hand experience loading powdercoated to 'normal' rifle velocities?

I use the Lee 155gr with clip wheelweights and powdercoat them, over ~17gr of RX7, yielding about 1550fps. Just how fast can these be safely pushed? It would be nice loading to around 2100fps or so but I don't want shotgun patterns or tinsel flying out the barrel.
Old April 16, 2018, 11:07 AM   #2
reddog81

I usually limit mine to under 2,000, but faster is possible. Alloy selection, Bullet selection, sizing, along with other factors become more critical. I think using a gas check common even with PC'd bullets at these velocities.

The Cast Boolit forum has a section dedicated to powder coating and there are a couple of rifle threads worth reading. "Accurate PC 350 yards part 1" has a good discussion on the topic.
Old April 18, 2018, 01:43 PM   #3
Chainsaw.

I run PCed 170 grain bullets in my 30-30, I gas check just to be sure. I push them to about 1900 with ZERO leading so Im sure 2100ish will be fine with PC. I apply coat THICK then size.