The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 12, 2018, 01:47 PM   #26
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Malice:
However, without the finger grooves, the 19x feels great in hand. And I have fairly large hands.
Now this guy gets it, my 19x fits every G-19 holster I own and every G-17 magazine I own works with it, it comes with the Marksman barrel, a decent trigger and Glock nightsights. Once I get used to the color it will be a win-win!

Last edited by JDBerg; July 12, 2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old July 12, 2018, 03:23 PM   #27
peterg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee View Post
^^^ Perhaps a 23x is on the way.....

That would be sweet, I went with a gen2 to avoid finger grooves so an updated.40S&W would be enough to open the wallet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 12, 2018, 03:41 PM   #28
Fishbed77

Quote:
I hated Glocks. Then I bought a Gen 4 G19 because I get Blue Label and figured "if I hate it, I can always sell it." That was 2013. Haven't sold it yet.
I never hated Glocks, but there have anyways been pistols I preferred to them (including Walthers, CZs, and SIGs).

That said, while Glocks have never felt good in my hands, I shoot them very well (even compared to pistols I prefer), they are easy to maintain, parts are easy to acquire when they break (and they do break), and accessories are everywhere.

Therefore, I have a few now, and they are among my go-to pistols.
Old July 13, 2018, 12:54 AM   #29
hogwiley

Like many people I don't see the point of the 19x really. The lack of concealability of a full size pistol grip combined with the shorter barrel and sight radius of a compact? Its the worst of both worlds.

I'm kind of down on glock these days anyway. Just haven't had good experiences with them in recent years.
Old July 13, 2018, 01:46 AM   #30
DPris
Member Emeritus

You don't need to see the point.
If he wants the gun, that IS the point.
Denis
Old July 13, 2018, 09:27 AM   #31
hogwiley

One thing im confused about is why glock submitted this gun to the army handgun trials instead of a traditional glock 17 with a 4.5 inch barrel. If i remember right the army wanted a full size gun and a compact, so Glock split the difference and gave them one gun that would sort of fill both roles, but why not submit a glock 17 and a 19 for the compact option? Cost?
Old July 13, 2018, 10:49 AM   #32
DPris
Member Emeritus

Cost & simplicity.
Denis
Old July 13, 2018, 11:34 AM   #33
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwiley View Post
One thing im confused about is why glock submitted this gun to the army handgun trials instead of a traditional glock 17 with a 4.5 inch barrel. If i remember right the army wanted a full size gun and a compact, so Glock split the difference and gave them one gun that would sort of fill both roles, but why not submit a glock 17 and a 19 for the compact option? Cost?
Because to my knowledge the compact had to have a compact barrel but full length grip. That's what the SIG version, M18, has.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old July 15, 2018, 01:32 PM   #34
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris View Post
What difference does it make?

Just buy the thing or don't.

I don't notice a landslide of demands to determine what SIG or Colt or Smith or CZ or Taurus or Beretta was thinking behind every model they offer.

I can tell you what EVERY maker was thinking when they introduced ALL of their models- "We're a gun company, let's make some guns to sell."

You don't like this one?
Go somewhere else.
You don't understand this one, move on.
You don't see a use for this one in your life? Why do you have to torch somebody else who does in theirs?

As far as Glock goes, yeah, I've talked to their VP about the 19X & I can tell you what Glock was thinking-
They developed it for the military trials because it met the military trials criteria, except for no thumb safety on the civilian model.
Why sell to the public? Because the public might buy it.
Why no external safety? Because Glock doesn't think it needs one.

And that's really more than you need to know.

If you don't like it, don't put your money on it.
And don't be dumping on people who do.

The incessant criticism of the 19X is absurd, ridiculous, and annoying as hell.
I personally find the .410 revolvers useless, but I don't feel an irresistible compulsion to attack 'em, along with the intelligence of those who like the things, every single time I see one mentioned in a gun forum post.

What was Taurus thinking with those? "Hmmmm. We make guns, let's try something different & see if it sells."
What was S&W thinking when they came out with theirs? "Sonny beaches! That Taurus thing's selling! Let's see if we can sell one too!"

If somebody ELSE likes those things, it's their choice.
If I don't, I'm under no obligation to TELL everybody contemplating one that I don't.

There are people all over the Internet forums buying guns I won't.
And I'm OK with that.

I don't demand justification or explanations from the makers on those, I let the market ride.
You can too.

If Dave wants that 19X instead of a standard 19, what's the problem?

Of those two, the 19X is the winner for me.
Not everybody has to think like you or spend their money like you.
Or demand a maker to justify its decision to offer a different model variation.
Denis
So very well said. Want a Glock 19 just go shoot the dang thing, find out for yourself, if you don't then move on. Same with all guns.
I am as guilty as anyone of posting just plain crap on the internet or actually giving a flying F on reviews, opinions etc. It has become terrible.
I am taking a new vow to keep a lid on comments toward any gun. My personal favorite is when a newbie joins IDPA and now uses that to be a expert on all guns even though he cannot hit the side of a barn door as just one example.

Just recently a few friends of my local club listened to all the crap against the New Sig, so we took it out and shot it. (1,000 rds)
No the gun is not for me personally, but it seemed like a fine firearm. What was interesting 95% of the negative comments from basher's just did not occur.
I am neither a Glock Fan or Sig fan, and not against them either.

Just time for me to rethink the internet and understand what it really is and is not.

The good?
It is useful when a problem occurs with any firearm and someone can lend a hand in solving the problem.
Old July 15, 2018, 01:42 PM   #35
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post

Just recently a few friends of my local club listened to all the crap against the New Sig, so we took it out and shot it. (1,000 rds)
No the gun is not for me personally, but it seemed like a fine firearm. What was interesting 95% of the negative comments from basher's just did not occur.
I am neither a Glock Fan or Sig fan, and not against them either.

Just time for me to rethink the internet and understand what it really is and is not.

The good?
It is useful when a problem occurs with any firearm and someone can lend a hand in solving the problem.
The internet can absolutely inflate issues. At the same time, samples of one are just that, samples of one. In the case of the P365 there are documented problem pistols. Does that mean all pistols will be that way? Probably not. The question becomes how good is the quality control and what percentage of pistols will have issues. I've seen plenty of threads where people deny that a pistol could have issues because their particular pistol doesn't have issues. That's not great logic. It might make a point that the issues aren't as common as the internet has us believe, and that's a reasonable point, but sometimes it turns into a case of denial. The ideal is to find a balance where you keep abreast of possible let issues whole not allowing those to ruin a good experience.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; July 15, 2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old July 15, 2018, 01:48 PM   #36
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Malice View Post
Fun fact from me. I was a rather vociferous critic of the 19X when it was announced. I had absolutely no interest in it on paper.

My local shop got one in last week and I was handling it... and I'm a convert. The gen4 19 fits my hand well with an undercut trigger guard and magpul magwell. I really like the way it feels. Moreso than the gen4 G17.

However, without the finger grooves, the 19x feels great in hand. And I have fairly large hands. It only extends a very small amount beyond the bottom of my palm. The coloring in person is really nice. The slide is more of a bronze where the frame is more tan/coyote. Basically they are different shades, and I prefer that over perfectly matching cerakote jobs.

Basically... the 19X surprised me a lot in person. And I've changed my mind on it. I love it and will probably be getting one pretty soon.
Pretty much me too. I thought "why on earth would I want this when I have my 17 I love and carry".

Turns out the shorter barrel has better balance (IMO) and if more comfortable IWB (no jab to the hip). The 19X also has the best stock trigger I've seen from an Glock and serviceable night sights. Either from the trigger or balance I run it faster and more accurate than my well loved 17. Oddly enough if I had my choice I'd probably put the grooves back on as the Gen 4 full frame grooves feel like they were molded for my hand.

"Why buy over a 19?" Simple, the 19 is too small in my hands and the grooves are wrongly placed for my fingers (the 17 and 26 share groove geometry the 19 does not).

OP, I say try it if it feels good. I hated Glocks until I stumbled into a Gen 4 Glock 21 and realized the Gen 4 grips fit me real well. I still dont prefer the gen 3s at all. The trigger can be a hurdle but I found once I started actually using it I prefer it to any other striker trigger out there, eclipsed only by a good SA trigger.
Old July 18, 2018, 03:20 PM   #37
RSKENT

Quote:
Like many people I don't see the point of the 19x really. The lack of concealability of a full size pistol grip combined with the shorter barrel and sight radius of a compact? Its the worst of both worlds.
Full sized grip with a compact slide. Sort of like that silly Colt Combat Commander. Who in the heck would ever want to buy one of those?
Old July 18, 2018, 11:49 PM   #38
weblance

I have a 19x. I also have a 23, so I can compare them side by side. The difference in grip length is 1/2". That's it... a 1/2"

The 19x is a G19 that holds two more rounds. The most popular pistol Glock has ever offered, the G19, with two more rounds. Other than the color(I'm still undecided about that) whats not to like ?

Man... all this hand wringing and lip biting over a 1/2". I guess the haters gotta have something to hate...
Old July 19, 2018, 03:50 AM   #39
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by weblance:
The 19x is a G19 that holds two more rounds.
The (two) +2 extended 19x mags hold four more rounds each than the stock G19 mags. I can carry my 19x 19+1 loaded in my holster with a 19 round spare, then that’s an 8 round advantage over carrying my G19 15+1 loaded in the holster with a 15 round spare. I have G19 holsters which will conceal carry my 19x very nicely, so the extra 1/2” of grip length with the 19x, with the extended 19x mags isn’t a problem for me.
Old July 19, 2018, 07:27 PM   #40
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSKENT View Post
Full sized grip with a compact slide. Sort of like that silly Colt Combat Commander. Who in the heck would ever want to buy one of those?
Yeah, that commander will never take off.

Let's not forget that the 19X is dimensionally very close to the HK P30, VP9, FB 509, Walther P99/PPQ, Sig "carry" 220, 227, 320, sig 229, some models of XD and probably one or two I am forgetting.

But that size doesn't make any sense.
Old July 19, 2018, 10:40 PM   #41
craddleshooter

It's the same size as a cz p10c, but it holds two more rounds? What's the point of the p10c. Its the same concept as the xdm 3.8, 509, 320 carry and the M&p 2.0. What's the point in those guns. Every other manufacturer has released their MHS submissions, why shouldn't Glock?
Old July 21, 2018, 12:26 AM   #42
Uncle Malice

So, I had to come back to this thread, because I finally picked up my 19X. Like I mentioned, I DID NOT originally have any interest in the gun on paper. In the hand, it feels absolutely perfect.

To be honest, it may be my new favorite Glock, ever. It's the first Glock that I don't feel the need to change ANYTHING on. It comes with decent night sights. I generally prefer high visibility options like Trijicon HD or Ameriglo, but these are nice steel/tritium sights that I don't feel called to spend $100+ upgrading. With the removal of the finger grooves, I don't feel compelled to undercut the trigger guard - something I have done on ALL of my Glocks for the past 7 or 8 years. I really like the magazine release button - which is specific to the 19X. It's about 1mm extended and slightly rounded at the front edge. It's a slight but noticeable difference. The slide texture isn't super slippery like the black gen 5 slides. The slide stop is slightly extended from previous generations and easy to actuate. The trigger is smooth. It's not amazing by any means, but I will likely leave this one stock - something I very rarely do. All of my other Glocks generally get Overwatch Precision TAC triggers.

The gun fits my standard G19 holsters. I carried the gun concealed today. I went to work and after work my wife and I went to the movies. I sat through the movie with no issues either. It carries quite well. Yes, it's slightly longer than the normal 19. I made a minor adjustment in my carry position from where I normally keep the holster and it was no big deal.

I have a fighting pistol class the first weekend of August that I will be running the 19X in to really try and get a feel for how it runs compared to my tricked out RMR'd Gen4 19. I would love to get an FDE RMR on the 19X, but I love the finish and don't want to have to refinish it after milling. So, it will stay without optic for the time being.

All in all, I'm super impressed with the gun thus far. I recommend everyone gives it a shot in-person before making the judgement. If you still don't like it... no worries. There are plenty of other options for you.
Old July 21, 2018, 02:46 AM   #43
Model12Win

Its tan, its new, and its tacticool tier 1 operator ready.

You literally for reals cannot go wrong bro ! !

Get one ! !
Old July 21, 2018, 06:05 AM   #44
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Malice:
So, I had to come back to this thread, because I finally picked up my 19X. Like I mentioned, I DID NOT originally have any interest in the gun on paper. In the hand, it feels absolutely perfect.
Agreed, the 19x is one that you have to take out & run a few hundred rounds through before you pass judgement on it after just a “touchy-feely” with it at the gunstore. The Marksman barrel seems to improve the accuracy just a bit, his is really a great shooting Glock!

Quote:
To be honest, it may be my new favorite Glock, ever. It's the first Glock that I don't feel the need to change ANYTHING on.
Agreed, after I put on the large beavertail backstrap, and took off the lanyard loop, this might be one of the best out-of-the-box pistols I own.

Quote:
It comes with decent night sights. I generally prefer high visibility options like Trijicon HD or Ameriglo, but these are nice steel/tritium sights that I don't feel called to spend $100+ upgrading.
Agreed, I wouldn’t touch those Glock steel NS on my 19x

Quote:
With the removal of the finger grooves, I don't feel compelled to undercut the trigger guard - something I have done on ALL of my Glocks for the past 7 or 8 years.
Much less risk of a “Glock Knuckle” with my 19x, and I can’t say the same about my Gen3 19!

Quote:
The trigger is smooth. It's not amazing by any means, but I will likely leave this one stock - something I very rarely do.
That trigger is fine, I wouldn’t feel the need to make changes to it.

Quote:
The gun fits my standard G19 holsters.
fits all my G-19 holsters fine, and all six of my (non-Gen5) G-17 magazines work great with it. It’s really cool to take nine loaded magazines to the range!

Quote:
I have a fighting pistol class the first weekend of August that I will be running the 19X in to really try and get a feel for how it runs
I can’t think of a better semiauto to take to a defensive pistol class, I plan on taking mine to the next class I attend.

Quote:
All in all, I'm super impressed with the gun thus far. I recommend everyone gives it a shot in-person before making the judgement. If you still don't like it... no worries. There are plenty of other options for you.
Agree Again!

Last edited by JDBerg; July 21, 2018 at 06:10 AM.