The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 4, 2015, 10:03 PM   #1
Polinese

Need a spotting scope

I just signed up for my first long range shooting class in September. I'm pretty excited as the farthest I've shot was at a gong at 500 meters. Anyways... the gear list says I need a spotting scope. The class has us shooting out to 1000 yards. There any serviceable spotting scopes in say the 500 dollar range?
Old March 5, 2015, 11:22 AM   #2
AllenJ

I would look at Leupold and Vortex just to name a couple. There are some good Bushnell's out there and I've heard good things about Burris but I've never looked through one.

My advice to you is not to buy one. I would borrow, rent or whatever you have to do and wait until after the class. I say this because I went to a long range school last April and am now saving my penny's for one of those like I got to use there. Mark 4 Tactical, Razor HD, and Swarovski, high dollar stuff but after three days of looking through them well worth it to my aging eyes Ask the school if they have one, they often do and they'll loan or rent them out.
Old March 5, 2015, 05:36 PM   #3
Bart B.

I've got a Celestron Ultima 80mm 20X-60X spotting scope and a Freeland heavy duty scope stand for sale. Scope easily sees mirage and at 20 to 25X (best power to use at long range, any more will have too much image wiggle and will be hard to see small changes in the mirage indicating a change in crosswind speed), can pick out 30 caliber bullet holes in the black at 1000 yards on a cool day when there's no mirage.

Let me know if you're interested.

http://www.championshooters.com/inde...=33&Itemid=111

http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop...spotting-scope

Last edited by Bart B.; March 5, 2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old March 5, 2015, 11:10 PM   #4
Chuck Dye

I recently bought the Leupold SX-1 Ventana 20-60x80mm Angled Spotting Scope Kit, Leupold's rebadged Chinese product. I am pleased with the scope but not with the tripod or case. The tripod is flimsy and has too small a footprint to manage the scope. It does not tolerate tilting the head to place the eyepiece where I want it, it overbalances and falls. Even with the scope centered over the 'pod, if you touch the scope to aim or focus it you must then wait for the oscillations to damp out before the image is useful. The case is light particleboard that does not withstand much of a bump: mine was nearly penetrated in ordinary handling early on. Consider getting the scope alone and getting a better tripod and cases, or go S.O.B. (some other brand.)