The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 5, 2014, 05:54 AM   #76
gyvel

Quote:
Precisely. And the root causes of the various issues that currently divide our nation's sentiments often go back many decades. But that does not mean anyone can predict whether our national divisions can or cannot be amicably resolved or, if they cannot be resolved, what unforeseen event might produce an untenable situation.
As one of my more pragmatic colleagues has repeatedly pointed out to anyone who will listen, nobody wants to live in a situation where the infrastructure has completely collapsed. In fact, I don't think the vast majority of people could survive without the infrastructure. And that is precisely what would happen in the event of another full scale civil war.

I don't even want to think about it.
Old July 5, 2014, 07:17 AM   #77
Tom Servo
Staff

Let's steer clear of partisan politics, folks.
Old July 5, 2014, 07:46 AM   #78
mehavey

Quote:
Quote:
Very little in President Obama's remaining platform screams irreversible. He's not getting a gun ban for example. Even if he did, he's not getting a forced turn-in/buy-back, allowing those who have them to keep them, then get it reversed in judicial review or electoral action
I wish more people understood this.
I'm afraid that like the frog in slowly-boiled water, more people
do not comprehend the degree to which this country and its
people have (been)changed -- and what that inevitably means
toward every aspect of this thread.

This is not partisan, for both major parties are now in full tilt.
But -- short of major cataclysm -- I see little prospect for halting it.
It will interesting to read the history in 50-60 years* or so since
he who controls the present controls the past, (and he who
controls the past controls the future). Eric Arthur Blair

*Not an idly-chosen number, as God had Moses' people wander in the wilderness for 40 years to largely erase the generation who remembered Egypt and its ways... but we live longer now.

Last edited by mehavey; July 5, 2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old July 5, 2014, 09:02 AM   #79
claymore1500

Please bear with me for a moment, I know that this post may come acrooed as babble but just think aboout it for a second.

I would compare our government to mans faithful and ever present companion, the dog.

We all know how good a dog can be, and how protective they become to their masters, but let the same dog become infested with fleas, and it becomes less concerned with the master, and more concerned with it's own anguish.

Like wise, the master, starts to separate himself from the dog, as the fleas irritate him as well.

Then it comes to the point when a decision has got to be made, The master has a choice, Kill the dog and get a new one, or do everything in his power to rid the dog of the flea infestation, We can be fairly sure of getting the old dog back and he will be more appreciative of the master, if we rid the dog of the fleas. We cannot be as sure of the result of killing the old dog, and getting a new one.

Likewise with a method of government, We know the original plan has worked for MANY generations, Not so sure it could be duplicated with a new one, just as getting a new dog, one cannot be sure it won't bite you.

I have tried to keep the politics to a minimum in my post, I think I have done rather well, while still getting my ideas out there.

Tom.

Last edited by claymore1500; July 5, 2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old July 5, 2014, 10:38 AM   #80
mehavey

Numbers (generally) present hard truth:

Read both article sections below -- particularly the demographics involved, the headlines about those demographic trends & influx... and coldly consider their portent.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...-the-greatest/
http://www.people-press.org/2014/06/...nd-government/