The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 27, 2012, 09:55 PM   #26
Chris9472

A Colt Detective Special was the first handgun I purchased in my younger years, which I foolishly sold a few months later after getting nervous and never having fired it. It turned out to be the last style (mid 90's) Colt would produce.

I recently saw one online new in box and the seller wanted $900 I'd love to have one again, just to correct an old error, but that is a little steep! According to the price guides, I shouldn't be paying close to that much for it, but from my experience price guides in general tend to be on the useless side.
Old November 27, 2012, 11:02 PM   #27
highpower3006

I think that it also depends on the particular revolver being sold as well as the area in which it is being sold.

Around here any decently priced N frame Smith does not last long on the market. Also Colt Pythons and Diamondbacks sell rather quickly.
Old November 28, 2012, 12:01 AM   #28
Chris9472

Has the market softened on revolvers?

I haven't been able to find a S&W 642 Airweight either with or without the cylinder lock anywhere at my LGS. Bud's Guns is always sold out of them every time I check.

Somebody must be buying revolvers these days?
Old November 28, 2012, 12:03 AM   #29
Chris9472

I think the market for revolvers will shoot through the roof (pun intended) if ever all hell breaks loose!
Old November 30, 2012, 09:26 PM   #30
bedbugbilly

Personal taste but I myself have always preferred revolvers . . . but then I'm an old fart. We grew up in the days when our heroes all used revolvers . . . today, the younger generation have grown up watching most of their rough and tumble favorites using semi-autos.

I have had and have a number of semis and revolvers. I really never thought about it until now, but I have traded or sold off semi-autos . . . I've never sold or traded off any of my cartridge revolvers. I may have a few favorites but in essence, I love 'em all.

My biggest disappointment is when I go into a gun shop and they have display cases up the wha huzzie filled with semi-autos and maybe one or two that have a few revolvers in them. I like the more vintage Colts - Army Special, OP, etc. and when I ask a clerk if they have any, I get these strange looks like "what kind of nut are you" . . . old fashioned I guess. However, when I have run across them, I'm amazed at how someof the more common ones are over priced.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 30, 2012, 10:25 PM   #31
crazycrave

You can also add in steel vs plastic as i think steel frame guns like the 1911 will hold there value better then a Glock and the same can be said for Revolvers..

but one driving force for semi auto's was the 1911's 100th year and i own 2 of them and no Glocks! i also own a 1986 model Ruger Single Six in stainless steel with my only plastic gun being a Walters P22
Old December 3, 2012, 12:04 AM   #32
MR.G

I havn't noticed the price of quality revolvers going down. Just seems to be a lot more semi-autos for sale.
Old December 5, 2012, 09:19 PM   #33
Buckeye!

I'm a big revolver fan ..but own 3 Glocks, two P Series Rugers And I think thats all the Semi pistols i own...

Mostly when i carry its a revolver...38 J frame or a S series Ruger..

My first grab gun on the night stand is a Ruger Security Six 357 Mag ..stoked with 158 gr LSWCHP +Ps
Old December 7, 2012, 02:07 AM   #34
Redhawk5.5+P+

OP

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed a softening market on revolvers? Might be a good time to buy a few ...
That pretty much some's it up. I went to pick up my first maybe my last 1911. When at the LGS doing a transfer. There it was, a 95+% Ruger Redhawk 5.5" blue 44mag. $425 price tag. I was peaked on revolvers, but, I never got a 44mag yet. Well, guess what? And it came with Hogue mono grips and the woods to top off the deal.

I guess they don't have any bear in Vegas, just cougar's, but they pay for dinner.