The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 5, 2021, 06:54 PM   #26
cjwils

Some give foolish reasons for not masking. I hope we will eventually undrstand that Covid 19 was nature's way of improving the human gene pool by eliminating foolish people.

What I really mean is, this not a place to debate public health issues.
Old April 5, 2021, 09:56 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I hope we will eventually undrstand that Covid 19 was nature's way of improving the human gene pool by eliminating foolish people.
Except its not...

Quote:
What I really mean is, this not a place to debate public health issues.
It is, and it isn't. This is the Law and Civil Rights forum, and while we focus on our firearms rights primarily, we also discuss things that bear on or have an impact on those rights.

up until a little as a couple years ago, wearing a mask and a gun was a pretty good "target designator". Bad guys wore masks. Terrorists wear masks, etc.

We have and have had laws on the books about wearing masks for some time. Now we also have a slew of "orders" about masks, that are not laws, but are "mandates, and requirements", and quite possibly some of those were issued under unconstitutional authority. Since there is now a vaccine, in time people will mostly forget about the problem, but the fact remains that not all levels of govt acted correctly everywhere.

Yes. emergency powers were granted, properly in some places, improperly retained in some others.

So, to a degree, I think the subject may be discussed here, provided we stay within the rules of the forum.
Old April 6, 2021, 07:52 AM   #28
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
Not "Period." Not even comma. People who want to kill other people WILL find ways to do it. History has proven that. Look at the series (a couple/few years ago) of Islamist terrorists killing multiple people by driving cars and trucks onto sidewalks.

And don't forget knives ...
Exactly.

As the UK has become a very "gun free" society, there should be very few homicides right?

Check out the following article from the main stream anti-gun media:
Rise of knife crime in England and Wales
Old April 6, 2021, 07:59 AM   #29
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETG View Post
You guys have it rough, I have not worn a mask for a week or two (except in a PO) when one day I looked around in two major big box stores with signs saying masks are required and half the people were unmasked.
Before, I was wearing in big box stores that had notices but in local type stores such as when I was furniture shopping, I asked first and in all cases the answer was if you want to you can and if you want, we (the employees) will put our mask on.
That's because WY is an AWESOME state.

I look at you in envy from the south in Colorado : )
Old April 6, 2021, 12:00 PM   #30
ghbucky

Quote:
Yes. emergency powers were granted, properly in some places, improperly retained in some others.
It has been interesting watching that play out in legislature and court cases. Here in KY, the legislature hamstrung the gov's emergency powers when they finally convened in January, and then overrode his veto. But, we are still in some weird kind of limbo state where masks are 'mandated' everywhere but there is no enforcement of any kind (there was very little enforcement in my area, mostly restricted to bars and restaurants).

The Governor of Indiana announced last week that the mask 'mandate' was being rescinded and moved to a 'suggestion'. The KY gov actually tried to call the IN gov to 'reconsider', which was ignored.
Old April 8, 2021, 12:35 PM   #31
stinkeypete

If I have Ebola, is it my right to walk around in public?
If I have been exposed to Ebola, is it my right to walk around in public?

If your surgeon says he can’t medically tolerate wearing a mask, can he still operate on you?

If you can’t tolerate a surgical mask, are you too feeble to carry around an extra pound of metal?
Old April 8, 2021, 07:48 PM   #32
Metal god

Quote:
If I have Ebola, is it my right to walk around in public?
If I have been exposed to Ebola, is it my right to walk around in public?
No and No , not sure if those are real questions or the point . However lets assume those are real questions with an underlying point .

It's my understanding the government not only has the right but a compelling interest to stop anyone that has been Knowingly exposed to or has contracted a deadly disease that is transmittable . It's also my understanding the government DOES NOT have the right to force perfectly healthy people to house arrest or ANY other confinement . Now to force perfectly healthy people to wear masks , why ? The healthy person need not wear a mask because they have NO ability to spread a disease they don't have . So now what comes in to play is , what does the government have the right to tell a perfectly healthy person to wear or do with there body ( hmm Roe v Wade ) ? As far as I can tell the courts don't want to touch that with a ten foot pole so they let the government do what ever they want . We've seen some push back but not much as far as I've seen .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; April 8, 2021 at 08:01 PM.