The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 24, 2021, 05:17 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

lee universal decapping die, custom pin?

Hey, did a little looking on google. Could not find what I was looing for.

I have a lee universal deprime/decapping die. The pin in it has a sharp shoulder above the actual decapping portion.

I am depriming a 5gal buckets worth of 5.56 that has a fair bit with smashed case mouths. The squared off shoulder is smashing the case necks rather than opening them up a little as the die comes down

Currently I am using a screw driver to un-dent the case necks prior to depriming, but its a little tedious to say the least.

does anyone know of a custom pin for the lee die, or a depriming die that has a tapered pin?
Old March 24, 2021, 06:04 PM   #2
higgite

Would this work for you?
https://leeprecision.com/22-cal-heav...-decapper.html
Old March 24, 2021, 06:10 PM   #3
lugerstew

If it were me, i would get out my die grinder, small sander, whatever, and taper the square shoulder so it would not do that, I mean, what the heck, it is just punching primers out,,but also, be careful you don't run it down so far that it sticks in the primer hole, if you go to far.
Old March 24, 2021, 06:13 PM   #4
Mike38

Lee made me a custom case mouth expander for .32 S&W Long. I needed twice the depth and .002 larger for .314 wad cutter bullets. If memory serves me, it was $25. I would guess they would make you a custom decap pin. Worth giving them a call.
Old March 24, 2021, 06:30 PM   #5
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgite View Post
Now sure how I didn't see this, got one ordered. thank you.
Old March 25, 2021, 12:11 AM   #6
Metal god

That heavy duty pin may not work . The universal decapping pin is longer then Lees standard decapping pin that fits in there sizing dies . I had the same issue when decapping in bulk . What I did was grind and file that section into more of a point like you see in the linked heavy duty pin .

http://fsreloading.com/index.php?rou...pping%20pin%20

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old March 25, 2021, 01:02 AM   #7
Shadow9mm

Lee lists it as compatible with the universal decapping die. Also I do have some room the thread the die down farther if needed. I do have a spare standard pin, but figured the right tool for the job might be better than filing down my spare....
Old March 28, 2021, 09:51 PM   #8
Metal god

Here's the before and after me grinding my pins down

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old March 28, 2021, 10:09 PM   #9
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god View Post

those look good. Got my pin. It is not as good of a profile as I had hoped. No grinder, only files, but I got some work done on it the other day, still needs a bit of fine tuning, but it is already a big improvement.
Old March 29, 2021, 05:57 AM   #10
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god View Post

I usually just use a tapered punch to straighten out bent case mouths, but I like this idea. Time to get out my grinder.
Old March 29, 2021, 11:11 AM   #11
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I usually just use a tapered punch to straighten out bent case mouths, but I like this idea. Time to get out my grinder.
Chuck the pin an electric drill and hold a file to the rotating metal.
Might be easier than using a grinder if it runs smoothly enought.
Old March 29, 2021, 11:48 AM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

One advantage of the "before" shape is it can open and flatten bad flash hole burrs if that's any consideration.

I use a Sinclair Expander Die body and the undersized neck turning Mandrel for this purpose. However, it is a two-step process.

A less fancy tool is a 30d (30-penny or 5 gauge; 4.5") plain steel carpenter's nail has a nominally 0.220" shank diameter. Tolerances on nails are not high, though, so you'd want to take a caliper with you to the hardware when you go. You will need to do a little filing on the edges of their points to keep them from being over diameter, but at least that steel is soft and easy to file quickly. If you also pick up a 7/8-14 bolt, you can screw it in place of a die in your press, then just hold the head of the nail against it as you bring a case in the shell holder up to it. Otherwise, the nail and hammer with a plastic-faced head to tap the nail in should work fine.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 29, 2021, 12:12 PM   #13
hounddawg

next time you have 50 bucks burning a hole in your wallet pick up one of these

https://www.mightyarmory.com/collect...or-all-presses
picked one up several years and changed out the pin for a .059.Four or five years now, and over ten thousand cases now and still on that original pin. I have the Lee as a backup but have never needed it
Old March 29, 2021, 01:17 PM   #14
T. O'Heir

"...smashed case mouths..." That has nothing to do with a 'sharp' shoulder. Isn't the decapper pin that opens the case mouth a tick either. It's the expander button.
Try sanding(no grinding or filing. That'll change the diameter and cause another issue.), the expander button smoother.
"...Tolerances on nails are not high..." Nope, but nails are handy things and are made of higher grade steel than one would think. You can make a lot of tools with 'em aside from punches. Been using a filed sharp 2" common nail to punch holes in leather for years. Kind of unbelievable of long a cheap nail holds an edge.
Old March 29, 2021, 06:54 PM   #15
Metal god

Houndawg , I like that one you linked .