The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 11, 2021, 05:11 PM   #1
FunGramps

I'm Proud Of My Hardware Store!

This morning, I picked up CCI Blazer 9mm brass ball, 50rd box, for $14.99. I can buy one box/day.
$45.00/box of 800 Federal .22 LR when they are in. Every Thursday morning they get what they get...different ammo every time, and not much of it at that.

Okay I get it. Everyone has the right to set their prices. That's capitalism. But I do give my local co-op kudos for holding back a bit and providing fair prices in today's crazed market.

Coastal Farm and Ranch. If there's one near you, check them out.
Old March 13, 2021, 09:40 AM   #2
s3779m

Kind of a catch 22 here. The box stores that also sell ammo on the side are not making their living off of selling that ammo. The local gun store that makes his living off of selling ammo and guns and suddenly finds both in short supply has the choice of raising prices to pay the bills or go under. Empty shelves do not sell for a lot of profit.
Old March 13, 2021, 09:49 AM   #3
TunnelRat

Some places are trying to keep places low. Around me locally the prices are double what you just mentioned. I have a hard time buying at those prices. I’d be there every day at the prices you’re discussing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 13, 2021, 08:44 PM   #4
FunGramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Some places are trying to keep places low. Around me locally the prices are double what you just mentioned. I have a hard time buying at those prices. I’d be there every day at the prices you’re discussing.

I go every Thursday morning, because that's the one time a week they get a potential ammo shipment in. What amazed me was they dropped their price since the last week I went, from a bit over $19.00 down to $14.99 this trip. I can deal with that. All ammo is gone by 9:30 or so the day they get it. And I'm in a town of 7K people. It's pretty pitiful though...to see that their entire shipment consisted of around 10 boxes of ammo.
Old March 14, 2021, 01:19 AM   #5
rc

I was surprised to see PCP air rifles in the local ACE. Kudos to them.
Old March 15, 2021, 11:14 AM   #6
Siggy-06

My lgs is carrying the dpms full auto bb guns for sale, along with the bbs and co2. He also will give out a box of ammo with any new gun purchase. Kudos to them.
Old March 15, 2021, 12:47 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...they get what they get..." Likely means they buy what they can get and their cost is higher. I think most U.S. manufacturers and distributors are closed due to Covid.
Reloading won't help for that reason too.
Old March 15, 2021, 01:10 PM   #8
Mike38

Quote:
This morning, I picked up CCI Blazer 9mm brass ball, 50rd box, for $14.99.
And they are still making a profit. But a store that sells the same item, (maybe even the same lot number, maybe even from the same vendor) down the street for double that price is called Capitalism? Nope, it's called price gouging, and no one will convince me otherwise.
Old March 15, 2021, 03:40 PM   #9
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
"...they get what they get..." Likely means they buy what they can get and their cost is higher. I think most U.S. manufacturers and distributors are closed due to Covid.
Reloading won't help for that reason too.

Federal Ammunition is open. They’ve had multiple video releases about their current production.

Old March 16, 2021, 09:06 PM   #10
langenc

The last time ammo was short (Obama) WM was said to put ammo out at 7 am one a certain day. The same buyers were in line each week.

Some suggested that the 'put out time' be changed each week so the buyers could be different, or make the regulars stand around several hours. Apparently some WM managers got all bent out of shape over that suggestion. Must have been on the take.
Old April 6, 2021, 12:17 PM   #11
SIGSHR

A vendor charging whatever he wants-free market, capitalism.
A customer refusing to buy-freedom of choice.
If it's not a necessity then there's no price gouging. A woman I dated years ago told me the markup on jewelry is sky high, but that's a real luxury.
One LGS/range I go to lists the ammo you can take out, other calibers are for a range session only, and one box per customer. I don't have access to the genie in the lamp, and neither do they.
Old April 6, 2021, 07:51 PM   #12
OneFreeTexan

Two hardware stores within ten miles, both sell ammo, one also is a FFL with a very good stock of guns.
Old April 17, 2021, 11:27 AM   #13
langenc

Was in a nice smaller gunshop the first weekend of deer season. While there the phone rang 3x. Could hear the owner "....no I dont have any, dont know when I will have any."

People were trying to find ammo so they could go hunting.

He had a few shotguns/rifles. Only 2 handguns.
Old April 19, 2021, 10:46 PM   #14
USAF Ret

My LGS/Gunsmith refused to to get in on the price gouging. He also very seldom gets new ammo in, but will limit how many folks can get. Capitalism works several ways. You can try and make as much money as you can off of the supply/demand situation or refuse to play the game. The latter keeps customers. I do 90% of my business with him becasue of it.

Lucky Dog Firearms in Sanford NC
Old April 20, 2021, 05:52 AM   #15
RETG

Drug store where I used to live sold Ammo.
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old April 22, 2021, 08:03 PM   #16
wizrd

Better go back and try to buy more of the Federal .22 LR. - Bought the same at $65.00 today, - it was $ 45.00 4 weeks ago...just saying. Upstate central NY. Everything has been very scarce.
Old April 23, 2021, 06:56 PM   #17
Armybrat

My brother was the manager of a Firestone Tire store 55 years ago in South Texas. They sold .22 rifles & .22 ammo. Maybe other calibers too, but I never saw the place. I did buy a .22 Springfield/Stevens single shot bolt action .22 from him for $16.
Gave it to one of my grandsons several years ago.