The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 17, 2018, 12:58 AM   #1
bamaranger

m1 garand gas cylinder lock/threaded for brake

I recently installed a IER scope on my shooter Garand. I was not pleased with my inability to shoot the peep the way I used to, and the scout scope brings my shooting back up to par. To make same work, I had to raise the comb with an accessory pad. I shoot it much better at distance, perhaps even better than when my eyes were 15-20 yrs younger (using the peep). Unconventional, nontraditional, but results are worth it to me. I've even hunted the old rifle a bit this whitetail season. No blood yet.

As the rifle is no longer GI or traditional, I have toyed with the idea of installing a flash hider or a brake to go with the scoped look. Eccentric, yes, but what the heck. Playing further with the idea, I've discovered a replacement gas cylinder lock that is threaded on the muzzle end, that, once attached to the rifle, would allow the use of any device threaded 5/8 x24. I'm thinking a .30 cal A2 birdcage and said threaded lock, would be an affordable path.

Has anybody used this threaded cylinder lock to install a flash hider or brake on an M1 rifle? Reviews on the device are mixed. For about the same cash, (adapter and A2) I could buy a repro T37 and get the same look.
Old January 17, 2018, 08:54 AM   #2
agtman

Quote:
I recently installed a IER scope on my shooter Garand. I was not pleased with my inability to shoot the peep the way I used to, and the scout scope brings my shooting back up to par. To make same work, I had to raise the comb with an accessory pad. I shoot it much better at distance, perhaps even better than when my eyes were 15-20 yrs younger (using the peep). Unconventional, nontraditional, but results are worth it to me. I've even hunted the old rifle a bit this whitetail season. No blood yet.
Nice! Would like to see pics. What make of forward rail did you use for mounting the IER optic?

Quote:
As the rifle is no longer GI or traditional, I have toyed with the idea of installing a flash hider or a brake to go with the scoped look. Eccentric, yes, but what the heck. Playing further with the idea, I've discovered a replacement gas cylinder lock that is threaded on the muzzle end, that, once attached to the rifle, would allow the use of any device threaded 5/8 x24. I'm thinking a .30 cal A2 birdcage and said threaded lock, would be an affordable path.
I'm not sure I get that ... Why use a two-piece set-up rather than one integrated unit that simply replaces the gas cylinder lock?

I mean, on my .308 16" Mini-G/faux-"Scout," which I also hunt with, I'm running a NOS T-37 FH. While it does suppress flash, it also somewhat reduces the 'bark' of the muzzle report of the short barrel. Plus, I just think it looks 'Old School' wicked. I'm not sure an A2 FH would do better for you on an M1.

(Just a note FYI, ... but Mini-Gs also run an adjustable gas plug made by Schuster Mfg. in place of the GI plug. The adj. plug allow you to tune the gas system and op rod reciprocation to the energy level of the ammo beng used)

On my .308 18" 'Tanker' M1, I replaced the GI cylinder lock with Schuster's M1 MB. It's a sleeker-looking design, with many smaller ports, than Smith Ent.'s BM-59 unit, and it reduces felt-recoil to like, ... zilch. As with most MBs on .30-cal rifles, however, you'll sense increased noise and concussive blast at the muzzle end.

Again, both the T-37 FH and the Schuster M1 MB are 'single-unit' pieces that just replace the g.c. lock.

Edit: Pic attached of my Tanker with the Schuster Mfg. MB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (137.7 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by agtman; January 17, 2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old January 18, 2018, 03:29 AM   #3
bamaranger

T37

Sorry agtman, but pics, tech stuff and my antiquated cell phone do not mesh. I cannot promise a pic, perhaps bamaboy can help.

I used a CMP/Omega rail up front for the scoutscope, got it on ebay for about half cost, one of the cross slots was skinned, but it had no bearing on my scope and mounts. The scope is a Burris 2-7x Scout, with ballistiplex, also from eBay. I still need to come up with a decent cheek rest to improve on my field expedient when the project was developing. Better rings too.

I am quite pleased with that Burris. With 165 gr Hornady BT's and a reasonable charge of 4064, and the rifle zeroed "on" with the crosshairs at 100 yds, the other hash marks come on at 2, 3, & 4, respectively. Not exactly, but a 10 inch plate will catch the shot when held center. The old rifle will still shoot into sub 2MOA, with tailored loads, even though the crown is worn. With an LMR rebarrel and a NM op rod, I suspect the rifle may have competed somewhere, before it was surplused due to muzzle erosion. It sure doesn't know it's not supposed to shoot!

I get your logic regards two piece unit and one piece, and honestly, the issue was cost. The adapter and an A2 birdcage will run about $40. I also like the idea that the A2 unit was short and compact, and if the arrangement grouped OK, I would leave it on to hunt since the length is not too bad. I also agree that a T37 FH is indeed wicked looking.......and again truthfully, the entire FH ide for me is all about looks, sort of a psuedo M1-D. I'd likely take the T37 FH off when I hunt the rifle anyhow. I may just go with a repro T37 and be done with it.

Ah, a "Tanker". I've lusted over those rifles for a long time, after reading a Ross Seyfried article in Guns & Ammo back when Springfield Armory? ( the commercial outfit) listed them as a stock item. Had several odd makes of Tanker in my mitts, but never bought one. Now there's the MiniG to lust over. The advent of the IER rail will make those short rifles more shootable for me ........I'd written short M1's off 'cause my eyes could not catch the front post like they used too, but a scoutscope or a compact dot will solve that issue these days.

Enjoyed your pic, and the Schuster unit does look good. Thanks for your interest and reply. I'll let you know what I do.
Old January 18, 2018, 09:27 AM   #4
agtman

Thanks for getting back ... Still hope to see a pic at some point!

Interestingly, my Mini-G "Scout" runs that same Burris 2x-7x optic on an Ultimak rail, zeroed an inch high at 100yds with a 150gn .308 Federal Fusion load. Great choice. Less expensive than a Leupy and inside 200yds it gets you the same result on critters. The irons on mine are zeroed for 200yds with standard 7.62 ball ammo. It's a very accurate shorty M1. I run both 8- and 5-rd "hunting" clips. No issues - other than it will never make Cooper's specs for "Scout weight." But the trade-off for that is the Garand's quick-to-load, semi-auto action, which is not just battle-proven durable, but omits the awkwardness associated with DBM-fed 'Scouts.'

In fact, I got to liking it so much I had Shuff build me another one, but without any rail-mount (irons-only), so it retains the lines and look of a 'standard' Garand - just shorter. We even kept the GI '06 barrel which had a ME of like, 8, with pitting and frosting along the last two inches of the muzzle-end and a badly worn crown. After chopping the tube back to 16.1", all that bad stuff went away, and the ME was exactly '0' with a perfect crown. Shoots like a laser now.

Although Fulton Armory still makes its version of the 18" 'Tanker' M1 (and CMP used to make them too), the advent of Shuff's Mini-G some years ago has more or less mooted the point of having a Tanker, unless it's just for nostalgia reasons because, despite what some internet experts claim, some number of proto-type Tankers were actually built (though never fielded). Shuff's Mini is even handier in the woods or boonies, and the breed is no less reliable than a 'standard' (full-size) Garand.

On choice of muzzle device, I can highly recommend Schuster's MB unit. It's not what I'd regard as pricey, has a sleek & slender design, doesn't add noticeable weight to the muzzle, and is super-effective in dampening recoil.

While the T-37 FHs are Old-School cool, just be careful in choosing a repro. Some Chi-Com cheapos are reported to have 'prongs' that are non-concentric with the bore, leading to bullet strikes. I haven't seen or heard any complaints with the one F.A. makes but, as always, research before you buy. Have fun!

Edited: old pic of .308 Mini-G 'Scout' added.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (205.4 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by agtman; January 18, 2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old January 19, 2018, 01:39 AM   #5
bamaranger

repro

Yeah, I've read the repro T37's are a gamble. Thanks for the advice on Fulton, were I to get one, that's who I'll use. Your MiniG looks great too BTW. I've been aware of Shuff for several years, I'd love to have a MiniG in .308.

Let you know what I do.