The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 4, 2013, 12:04 PM   #1
Sweet Shooter

SP101 .357mag technique question.

It's a 3 inch barrel with fixed sights. I could not shoot to the sights with 357 and was hitting about 6 inches low and to the left. I was worried that this gun was too small for full house 357s. After adjusting my technique to keep my pinky off the grip—which is too a grip small anyway—and also inserting my trigger finger further to just onto the second pad, I can now keep about 5 inch left/right at 15 yards with SA.

I'm locking my right hand thumb down with my left. Is there a secret to tightening the group. I kind of was hoping to be able to shoot a 2 or 3 inch groups at that distance SA. Am I expecting too much. Not exactly a cheep round to practice with. Any tips? I'm not much of a revolver shooter but want to become better as I am going to get my concealed carry permit and this particular course has a range component. The SP101 is the only one I have small enough.

-SS-
Old March 4, 2013, 12:20 PM   #2
Nathan

I don't know this gun for sure, but low is usually too much grip or flinch. Try a lighter grip.

I think your right/left could be trigger finger. Try putting the first knuckle on the trigger and pulling straight back. Watching the sights jump in dry fire could help you work out both these issues.

Focus on where the sight jumps as the hammer releases. It really shouldn't move at all. Until hammer momentum knocks it straight down slightly. That should feel a few milliseconds after the sear release.
Old March 4, 2013, 12:50 PM   #3
Nanuk

What weight of 357 ammo? Most fixed sight 357's are regulated for 158 Grain bullets. How much low are you shooting? The standard sight in is 25 yards. A revolver is more difficult to shoot well than a good auto, try some dry firing.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old March 4, 2013, 01:00 PM   #4
Sweet Shooter

You know maybe it was 25 yards... didn't seem very far. The ammo was 125gr.
Thanks for the help and heads up... both you guys.
-SS-
Old March 4, 2013, 02:00 PM   #5
Colorado Redneck

New Gunitis

You may be different than me, but whenever I get a new handgun, it takes a few hundred rounds for my head to get adjusted, for whatever reason. Some more experienced hand gun shooters can do amazing things, but in reality, unless you shoot a couple three hundred rounds per week for an extended period, it is tough to get a two inch group at 25 yards shooting off hand with full house 357 mag ammo.

You can dry fire that SP101 all you want, so like somebody else mentioned, that is an excellent way to practice your technique, and see what is going on with the gun while you squeeze the trigger. And another benefit is, the trigger will become a bit more smooth the more you practice.

You can google "revolver shooting technique" --here is a link I read that helped me.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html

Happy shooting!
Old March 4, 2013, 02:59 PM   #6
kdemers58

I have 686p from the performance shop that is the sweetest shooting revolver. trigger is great the ported barrel stops a ton of upward recoil I had a friend make a underlug weight that improves any leftover recoil .Have a great day
Old March 4, 2013, 03:20 PM   #7
Ham Hock

The SP 101 wants 158 grain in order to shoot at POA. I believe it says that in the manual. 125 grain will shoot low as you now know. Shooting left however, may be a technique problem.
Old March 4, 2013, 04:03 PM   #8
Sweet Shooter

Thank you. That I have the wrong ammo and a technique problem is good news. I was worried that the bore might be off axis from the fixed sights. How likely is it that could be the case with a 3"? Other opinions on what my expectations should be?

-SS-
Old March 4, 2013, 04:51 PM   #9
psyfly

Bore-axis/sight misalignment, while always possible, is unlikely.

I think you've gotten the advice you need to make it work for you.

I have a 3" SP101. With the right ammunition, it is quite accurate.

If you don't bring your results closer to your desires with practice, try to get someone with revolver experience to observe...

My SP101 is one of my favorites.

Best,

W
Old March 4, 2013, 05:54 PM   #10
riddleofsteel

I consistently shot my SP101 to the left for some reason. Not that it is so much that it makes much difference at combat distances but it bugged me when I first got it. Mine is a double action only so I have always attributed it to my technique. I shoot my single actions to dead center.
Old March 4, 2013, 06:02 PM   #11
johnwilliamson062

full house 357 out of an sp101? I'd settle for pie plate accuracy.
Old March 4, 2013, 06:10 PM   #12
Ozzieman

Another thing to try is have a friend with you and have him load only 3 rounds in the chambers spaced randomly. Then safely hand you the gun to fire.
You can tell very quickly if you’re flinching or pulling the gun off target when it goes click.
One man I was helping was actually lifting the barrel when he shot. And he wouldn’t listen to me. I finally handed him the gun so that it fired the first two rounds then the next two were empty followed by a loaded.
This was a Smith L frame with 38’s. On the first empty chamber the recoil looked almost as strong as chamber that fired.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old March 4, 2013, 06:49 PM   #13
g.willikers

From a real expert on this subject.
Check out the videos on revolver grip and trigger control:
http://www.myoutdoortv.com/search/node/Jerry%20Miculek
Old March 4, 2013, 07:49 PM   #14
Revolver1

You're learning the hard way, why small revolvers in big calibers suck! If you want to shoot the mags, get an N frame. Mfgs should be ashamed of themselves for marketing these small guns. Shoot 38spls through your gun. It's what a gun that size was designed for.
Old March 4, 2013, 09:26 PM   #15
oldgunner16

It's the grips

My son had the same issue with his 3" SP. Put Hogue monogrips on it and no more problem.
Old March 4, 2013, 09:41 PM   #16
jimbob86

I had no problems hitting POA with .357's through mine. Not fun to do all day long, but not inaccurate at all.
Old March 4, 2013, 10:55 PM   #17
Dman23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver1 View Post
You're learning the hard way, why small revolvers in big calibers suck! If you want to shoot the mags, get an N frame. Mfgs should be ashamed of themselves for marketing these small guns. Shoot 38spls through your gun. It's what a gun that size was designed for.
Not to be mean but its not the MFGs fault. In the US its always someone elses fault. I have a 3" sp101 and with 357 it is stiff but very fun to shoot. If you dont research what your buying its your fault for getting something you are not comfortable with.

The 357 in an sp101 isnt for everyone. But it isnt ouragous either and honestly many guns scare me but not this one.

To yhe OP, put as many rounds as you can theough it, try different grips and trigger pulls and i am sure it will come around!
Old March 4, 2013, 10:57 PM   #18
Dman23

I did also put hogue momogrips on mine. 24 bucks on ebay and it made a HUGE difference. A bit bigger than the factory ones, but 100x more comfortable and made 357s much nicer
Old March 5, 2013, 09:13 AM   #19
psyfly

Quote:
with 357 it is stiff but very fun to shoot.
+1

If Ruger has anything to be ashamed of in reference to the SP101 it's just for not making more of 'em.

It is one of the ergonomically most well-executed concepts out there.

It's honestly one of the handful of firearms I've ever used that I have literally nothing to complain about .

W
Old March 5, 2013, 12:00 PM   #20
Nanuk

Quote:
I had to laugh. We (the shooting public) had been asking for a small 357 for years when Ruger led the way with their SP101 in the 1980's.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old March 5, 2013, 01:54 PM   #21
alex0535

I kind of skimmed this and I didn't see anyone mention it, but how well do you shoot .38 special out of it?

Also hogue monogrips will provide a better grip with a bit more to hold onto.

Getting to a point where you can shoot it accurately with .38's will be a good place to start before trying to shoot strong .357 magnums accurately out of it.
Old March 5, 2013, 02:32 PM   #22
Jbotto

My my large hands and long fingers, the SP101 was not set up for me from the factory configuration. It took me a lot of light .357 reloads and lots of .38's for me to get close to being semi-proficient with it. I have since switched to some Badger boot grips which are more hand-filling for myself, personally. Some of the higher end .357 loads, designed for deer hunting are not pleasant to shoot, but most other 158gr jacketed or SWC loads I do not mind one bit. I think the SP101 is the perfect smaller framed revolver to shoot more than a cylinder of .357's out of. I wouldn't want it much lighter, but heavier would take away from the usefullness of this gun too. This is one gun, that if I hand off to a buddy to shoot, 9/10 they will have issues with hitting anything. I have put over 1500 rounds through it since I've owned it the past 10 months and am just now reaching a level of proficiency that I'm comfortable with. To me, it's not an easy gun to shoot, but keep at it and you should end up liking it.
Old March 5, 2013, 02:52 PM   #23
Sweet Shooter

Thank you folks. I do love this gun and I'm doing alright with it. It is a handful for sure. I have only put about 100 rounds through it and need more time by myself with it. Sharing it at the range with my 10 year old son right now. 38's are less of a problem as are 38+p but I think it'll take some time and money to get good with it. It's also very cold right now and even uncomfortable to hold it with bare hands. Range is outdoors. I think it might be an all-round comfort thing. Heavy recoil, freezing cold hands, unpleasant, and quite frankly not very smart, over excited RO's. It all adds up. But thank you guys for your help I will get back to you and let you know how I progress.
-SS-
Old March 5, 2013, 06:22 PM   #24
Jbotto

100 rounds only?! Yeah, you have time for improvement! Keep it up!
Old March 5, 2013, 08:16 PM   #25
5thShock

This guy won't bore you. The empty chamber idea is a good one, can be very enlightening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xa5JPLGIsU