The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 8, 2012, 08:24 PM   #1
madhat

blaser vs tikka and others

what would you guys say about Blaser and tikka/sako rifles, i handled a blaser today and was firmly impressed with it
Old September 9, 2012, 02:59 AM   #2
phil mcwilliam

I have owned 4 Sako rifles, the first one bought around 1980, & have handled & shot Tikka rifles(which are owned by Sako). I can highly recommend Sako & Tikka rifles, although I prefer the look of Sakos.
Blaser rifles I have no experience with, although I know they are well finished & accurate. 2 years ago I was looking for a new centerfire .30 caliber rifle & went with the Sako Bavarian in .308. I ruled out the Blaser because of the weird straight pull bolt action & the price, which was nearly double the Sako.
I have been more than impressed with the Sako Bavarian in .308.
Old September 9, 2012, 07:41 AM   #3
jehu

I own eight Sako rifles and I consider them the best made and most accurate, with premium factory ammo, out of the box production rifles made. They are IMO the closest production rifles there is to custom made.
Old September 9, 2012, 10:18 AM   #4
warbirdlover

Blaser rifles SHOULD be good for the $$$ they get for them. Same with Sako's.

Tikka's are one of the best values out there.
Old September 9, 2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Husqvarna

the tikka has such a nice and smooth bolt-movement so I doubt the blaser is that much faster anyway, heard rumours that blasers are finicky about cleaning and shooting reloads

the tikkas is cheaper and has as many option of barrels and so on, I guess the calibre change is a plus for the blaser thou. And the new one is really nice iwth the scope ligthing incoirporated into the safety/cocking button

Looked at the Merkel Helix? even shorter straight pull and takedown model is standard, and just as many calibre options. the bolt is inclosed in the rifle to so you don't have it racing towards your nose like the blaser.