The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 19, 2002, 05:28 PM   #1
Kevinch

Place to purchase recommendations?

Of all the firearm projects I have on my "to do list", probably the least expensive & easiest to live with is converting an older 870 Wingmaster with poor finish (but excellent action) into an HD gun. It will be a single - purpose firearm, as my 11-87 will be used for sport.

Please allow me to say that I know that money & time spent on honing skills is important & can yield a higher return! This is intended as a winter "cabin fever" project, along with refinishing an SKS with a good metal finish but wood that needs attention.

Since I have a daughter in her 3rd year at the university, money is something I don't have a whole lot extra of. This project would seem to be one in which I can do a lot of the work myself.

I want to fit it with a synthetic stock, a synthetic forearm, & an extended magazine tube (1 or 2 shell). I may go with a SureFire (or similar light) & a set of sights - I am leaning towards MMC - but those options may have to wait for funds. I'll also be shortening the barrel; I can cut it off but will probably send it out to be crowned.

Who has the best selection & prices on the hardware? I'll have the gun refinished too; not in blue but something a little more rugged. Who have you folks used that you would recommend? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law abiding) deprived the use of them. --Thomas Paine
Old November 19, 2002, 06:11 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good luck on the project, Kevinch. Having several project 870s here, they're a wonderful way to upgrade your gear in between honing those all important skills(G).

And, this can be a one step at a time process, in between most steps you still have one great HD tool.

A coupla things....

As for finishes, the various Phosphate processes we generically call Parkerizing are tough and not too difficult to have done by cognizant techs.

Robar, if still around, had some fantastic protective coatings and finishes at not to bad prices.

A plain bead works fine for HD, but peep or GR sights do have use outside the house,as mentioned in the recent thread on militia shotguns. I've heard little bad about Ashley stuff, the set they make seems near ideal. Maybe someone with an AO set will chime in here.

Being "tool challenged", I'd have a pro cut the bbl as well as crown it.

And maybe you like the synthetic stuff, but the worst hunk of lumber ever to leave Ilion attached to an 870 was serviceable. If you want that evil black look, use some bow paint. I've done a couple stocks like that.

Try Brownell's for stuff, they're the mavens.

HTH...