The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 21, 2018, 07:22 PM   #1
libiglou

which sig p238

Well after much research and my love of all things 1911. I have decided to get a sig p238. I handled 2 at the fun store and loved the look and feel especially the trigger. The problem is which one? The LGS owner said I should get a few(I looked at him like he was on crack) In the last few years they must have made over 20 varieties of this model. I really like the look of the extreme model which came with 2 mags(one a 7 rounder) and already has g10 grips. Problem is its been discontinued. It seems most of the varieties have to do with finishes and the newer ones only have one mag. Its expensive enough so I dont want to spend another $100 in upgrades. I'm I missing anything or is one model better than the other.
Old January 21, 2018, 09:32 PM   #2
Lexspeed

Sig makes a number of different model P238s to meet different customer needs and preferences. It's sort of like ice cream flavors. I know what I like, but can only guess what you will like. As you noticed, the variations are mostly, sights, grips and finishes. A few models have steel frames (vs alum alloy). I like the Spartan all steel model with night sights and a 7 round mag and PVD antique bronze finish. I am happy with my choice, but is it right for you?
Old January 22, 2018, 12:23 AM   #3
RickB

I got the P938 in "Rosewood", which is matte black overall with rosewood grips.
I don't like the grips on my gun, which are an orange-ish color, as much as those on some other guns I've seen that were more of a maroon color, but it's still a very handsome and purposeful looking piece.
Old January 22, 2018, 09:47 AM   #4
Big4Freedom

I have the ss (with black hogue rubber grips) and alum (desert tan) models. They both are great. If you need lighter carry gun, do alum. If not, the ss model is outstanding and like butter.
Old January 22, 2018, 10:33 AM   #5
cc-hangfire

I understand the desire to have a nice looking handgun. Steel & wood in an attractive leather holster. SIG has certainly worked to please every conceivable taste with the finishes that are available on this model. I’m sure your LGS would love you is you treated them like Hot Wheel cars & collected the full set!!

They’ll all be the same internals & should all function alike, though. My P238 is Black & I’ve swapped grips from the Houges that came with it (to thick & grippy for pocket carry) to factory plastic. I have some aggressive but thin aftermarket G10 grip scales that I may swap to, but it’s based more on fit in my hand than looks though. It is a sweet shooting 380.
Old January 22, 2018, 10:34 AM   #6
Ibmikey

I can relate to the shopkeeper, as I have three P938’s and a P 938. Each of mine is a bit different one has special black and silver checkered aluminum grips and has a laser packed in the box. I believe all of mine came with two mags, actually including my Colt Mustang and Kimber Micro mags which interchange I must have well over a dozen on hand.
The P 238 is a neat pistol and uses a locked breech so recoil is no where near the Kel tec or Ruger micro’s. I shoot mine a lot where my P 3AT is unpleasant on the first.
I carry my Sig in a kydex holster inside the waist band and find it comfortable and totally concealed.
Old January 22, 2018, 10:55 AM   #7
berettaprofessor

Six of one...half dozen....just pick one.
Old January 22, 2018, 09:05 PM   #8
KyJim

The only real functional difference in the pistols are the sights -- regular or night sights. I have a plain Jane model without night sights. But, it's really what turns your crank and not mine or anybody else's.
Old January 22, 2018, 09:11 PM   #9
BIGR

The one with a durable finish such as Nitron or stainless.
Old January 22, 2018, 10:03 PM   #10
turtlehead

I got the Nitron because it was meant to be a carry gun. Wasn't looking for something flashy. Some of the P238 models are just embarrassing. It was also the cheapest model.

Recently put some laminated gray and black G10 grips on it and it looks great.

The softest shooting .380 pistol I've ever shot. Makes my Cheetah 85FS seem like a primitive tool.
Old January 23, 2018, 09:53 AM   #11
BIGR

Quote:
I got the Nitron because it was meant to be a carry gun. Wasn't looking for something flashy. Some of the P238 models are just embarrassing. It was also the cheapest model.

Recently put some laminated gray and black G10 grips on it and it looks great.

The softest shooting .380 pistol I've ever shot. Makes my Cheetah 85FS seem like a primitive tool.
That's my way of thinking nothing fancy. Also I don't want to be worrying about wiping off finger prints every evening, fearing rust on a blued gun. I take care of my guns but I like less maintenance as far as corrosion protection.

The K Kote and Nitron finishes have held up real well on my other Sig Pistols.
Old January 23, 2018, 11:01 AM   #12
Laz

I have an Extreme. It looks to me the best alternative to the Extreme would be the P238 Select which is quite similar coming with somewhat subdued G10 grips and one 7 Round magazine. It is less than the Extreme but of course you’ll need to buy an extra mag.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p238-...o-compact.html

Also, the ASE comes with two mags:

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p238-...o-compact.html

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.