The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 16, 2018, 12:29 PM   #1
cw308

Changed the dual spring assembly on Colt Defender

The assembly on the gun , even though it works looks pretty flimsy. Found a company that has a change to a solid full size guide rod using a #22 flat spring using a reverse plug . EGW is the company , I ordered an installed in my 45 . Will test on Thursday . I have a Colt New Agent in 45acp it's the same as the Defender , Has anyone installed one on their gun , if so let me know how you like it.
Old January 16, 2018, 04:38 PM   #2
shootniron

I have the gun...never changed it and it has been fine with the factory setup...although, it has been replaced due to round count.

The new one should work well for you.
Old January 16, 2018, 06:41 PM   #3
625TC

I have made the conversion on four different guns. I love it
Old January 16, 2018, 07:01 PM   #4
shootniron

Quote:
I have made the conversion on four different guns. I love it
What improvement in function did it make over the factory setup?
Old January 16, 2018, 07:27 PM   #5
cw308

Thank You All for answering .
I changed the assembly not because it gave me a problem , only because it looked like the weakest point on the gun , a plunger held by a e clip just bothered me . The single spring with a solid steel full size guide rail one piece is Rock solid . May not function any better but I feel better with a stronger assembly .

Chris
Old January 16, 2018, 08:00 PM   #6
625TC

assembly and disassembly became easier or at least it is to me. The slide does not batter the frame, longer spring life, And I know this is very subjective I trust this set up more
Old January 16, 2018, 08:05 PM   #7
cw308

625TC
Which assembly did you go with ?
Old January 16, 2018, 08:09 PM   #8
625TC

I actually made a two piece guide rod on the lath, The used a 26lbs single recoil spring from wolf, Works great
Old January 16, 2018, 08:10 PM   #9
625TC

If I can figure out how to post pictures I will post some
Old January 16, 2018, 11:46 PM   #10
cw308

625TC
Would love to see pictures . Nice to make improvements on the original design yourself. Need the right equipment an know how to use it . Never worked a lath . Good talking to you.

Chris
Old January 17, 2018, 07:44 AM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I find it somewhat ironic that the type of recoil assembly used on the Colt Defender (and many other compact 1911s from various manufacturers) was widely hailed as a big improvement over a standard guide rod and recoil spring when the new type assemblies were introduced. Now we're looking to go back to a variation on the old system, and that's being touted as an improvement ... on the improvement.

Marketing -- where would we be without it?
Old January 17, 2018, 08:23 AM   #12
cw308

Aguila Blanca
Your thinking makes sense to me , changes from single to double spring recoil assembly. If the guide rod assembly was stronger without a post and back plate held together by a e clip I may have never looked to improve the assembly . The new assembly from EGW single spring is made much stronger . I didn't through out Colt's assembly , I have a spare complete assembly , springs & e clips. Will see how the EGW assembly holds up . Nothing wrong with trying is there. I'll let everyone know how it works out for sure . Thanks for answering my post , Chris
Old January 17, 2018, 01:47 PM   #13
RickB

Quote:
I find it somewhat ironic that the type of recoil assembly used on the Colt Defender (and many other compact 1911s from various manufacturers) was widely hailed as a big improvement over a standard guide rod and recoil spring when the new type assemblies were introduced. Now we're looking to go back to a variation on the old system, and that's being touted as an improvement ... on the improvement.
The flat-wire spring is a worthwhile innovation, more than a "single" spring, per se.
I've done some swapping of conventional single, dual, triple, and single flat-wire recoil springs in a compact .45, and I was impressed by the additional in-battery pressure applied to the barrel/slide by the flat-wire.
With a single, round-wire spring, the spring is almost fully relaxed when the gun is in battery, with very little pressure actually holding the gun in battery, and very little resistance to initial slide movement in recoil.

Increasing the number of springs increases the resistance, but I think there's always the sense that adding parts increases the likelihood of parts failure.

I'm running a triple-spring set-up now, no issues, but I think a single, flat-wire spring would be an improvement, if only due to simplicity.

A single, round-wire recoil spring, in a compact .45, would be last on my list.
Old January 17, 2018, 02:51 PM   #14
cw308

RickB
I'm testing the assembly tomorrow , hopefully it will work fine . Thanks for adding to the conversation. Chris
Old January 18, 2018, 03:21 PM   #15
cw308

Tested the EGW assembly , worked Perfect . 100 rounds ran 100% without a problem , I had my fingers crossed with the first magazine . On the Colt assembly that e clip to me is a problem weighting to happen . It's only 100 rounds , hopefully it continues to work. . So far I'm happy with the new assembly.
Old January 18, 2018, 03:51 PM   #16
shootniron

Quote:
On the Colt assembly that e clip to me is a problem weighting to happen .
Glad it worked well.

However, there is not a history of the Colt setup having problems and these guns have been around for a pretty good while.
Old January 18, 2018, 03:53 PM   #17
625TC

Glad it works for you. Keep range updates coming
Old January 18, 2018, 04:06 PM   #18
cw308

625TC
I sure will , Happy an Healthy New Year . Chris
Old January 18, 2018, 04:21 PM   #19
RickB

Quote:
Quote:
On the Colt assembly that e clip to me is a problem weighting to happen .

Glad it worked well.

However, there is not a history of the Colt setup having problems and these guns have been around for a pretty good while.
Not related specifically to the e clip, but in my recoil guide/spring wanderings, I had Cylinder & Slide build me two custom guide rod assemblies of the "dual telescoping" style used in the Defender/Agent.
The design was patented by Seecamp, and intended for 3.5" Colts, but widely appearing on 3" guns (Seecamp sued Glock, and won, for patent infringement) so I had to have them custom-made for my 3.5" gun, though I think Para Ordnance did make them for their 3.5" P12, so the parts were available over the counter for the 3.5" Colt Compact/Officers for a retrofit.
It wasn't the e clip, but the extremely thin, sheetmetal guiderod head that looked suspect to me.
Both of my guiderod/spring units collapsed after very little use, the sheetmetal head being deformed and the rod itself - e clip holding strong - pushed back into the barrel lug/link.
The problem specific to my gun was that the guiderod seat in the frame was heavily beveled around its edge, and there wasn't enough support for that thin sheetmetal.
Old January 18, 2018, 04:31 PM   #20
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB
The design was patented by Seecamp, and intended for 3.5" Colts, but widely appearing on 3" guns (Seecamp sued Glock, and won, for patent infringement) so I had to have them custom-made for my 3.5" gun, though I think Para Ordnance did make them for their 3.5" P12, so the parts were available over the counter for the 3.5" Colt Compact/Officers for a retrofit.
Correct. The early Para P12s (and LDA 12s) used a conventional recoil system that was identical to the Colt Officers ACP, except that Colt used a .250" guide rod and dual springs while Para used a .330" guide rod with a single spring. When the later P12s and LDA 12s eliminated the barrel bushing and went to an "encapsulated recoil assembly," they also came out with a retrofit version intended for use in the older pistols. I have two of them in a drawer on my work bench. I got them when they first came out, but never felt any need to install them in a pistol.

I agree ... the flimsiest-looking part is the extremely thin flange at the back end, that seats against the frame abutment surface.
Old January 18, 2018, 05:40 PM   #21
cw308

RickB and Aguila Blanca
I thought I was the only one thinking that back plate was pretty lame in the recoil assembly . I'm very happy with the quality of the EGW unit very solid one piece back plate an guide rail. Hopefully it operates as good as it looks . I always keep records , round count & loads. I have back up springs for both assemblies . Do you when cleaning check recoil spring length to record changes ?
Old January 18, 2018, 10:47 PM   #22
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw308
Do you when cleaning check recoil spring length to record changes ?
Nope. Life's too short.

If the gun starts malfunctioning, then I'll start checking things to find out why. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old January 19, 2018, 10:33 AM   #23
cw308

Aguila Blanca
I favor benchrest 308 Cal. in the warmer months outdoors , I shoot handgun indoor range in the cold months. The last few years I like handgun shooting just as much . With rifle shooting I keep records on how many rounds through the barrel for accurate barrel life , I wouldn't want the barrel to crap out in the middle of the summer . I don't change my barrels , I send them out . Hand gun is alittle different , l tend to baby the firearm , I have back up springs an assemblies . I clean after every range trip which I also enjoy . I clean with Ballistol but every time my wife smells the stuff , she turns into that girl in The Exorcist . Do my cleaning outdoors . I will shoot , clean & just enjoy the sport . Will still check on things or l wouldn't be talking on the forum . This forum has nice helpful people giving good advice like yourself. Thank You ,. Chris