The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 27, 2018, 12:28 AM   #101
JJNA

I’m thinking that this might be a good gun for my little ones.
Old January 28, 2018, 07:13 PM   #102
Apple a Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean1818 View Post
So....... I have to ask

What will you use it for?

Fun plinking makes sense, and is PLENTY of a reason to buy a gun.

But For me, my weapons have to play a role of hunters or defenders

If I want to hunt there are much more effective weapons

If I want to defend, there are much more effective weapons
(I have pistols and shotgun for close in, ARs and others for further out)

Not intending to step on anyones toes here... really not.

The diffferent PCC, really look cool. But my gun money keeps going to other, more usable things
What will I use it for? Me personally
1) fun. Cheap plinking
2)Ammo Panic Gun. During the Great Ammo Panic of 2012 the only ammo I could reliably find was 9mm. Covered
3)Hurricane gun. Around here we sometimes have to evacuate. Space is at a premium and there's a chance we might come back to wreckage. Packing a pistol and PCC combo with common ammo and mags especially a takedown means we can fit it all in and I know i've got tools available when I get home

Since we're gun guys here we likely have other options but for someone just getting into guns, only looking for basics, or budget limited I think this is a good option.
Just my two cents
Old January 28, 2018, 10:04 PM   #103
agtman

Still waiting to hear on that most awesome PC 10mm model.

Old January 29, 2018, 05:45 PM   #104
jetinteriorguy

Just Right Carbines are available in 10mm, 9mm, .40, .357 Sig, and .45ACP. I love mine and it's a very fun range toy/plinker. But, I really like the looks of the PC9 and love the features. Enough that I believe I'll add it to the collection once I see how it's working out for people and the price drops. Took my daughter to the pistol range at Quantico last weekend with the JR Carbine, only her second time shooting in her life and her first time with a rifle/carbine. At 15 yds shooting steel plates she was knocking them down at a rate of about 2 seconds per plate. These carbines like this are just a hoot and mine is very accurate out to 50 yds. I'm using a See All sight and it's very easy to acquire quickly.
Old February 1, 2018, 12:06 PM   #105
Crosshair

I have ordered two of them. One for myself and one for my boss (also owns the company) and his wife as a gift. They have been good to me and this is the perfect thing.

They already have plenty of 9mm Glock mags and amunition.

More importantly, for reasons I won't go into, his wife can't handle the recoil from rifles well. A 9mm carbine is perfect for people like her who can't physically handle something bigger.
Old February 1, 2018, 12:13 PM   #106
stagpanther

Where can you order them from? The Ruger site links to resellers that have long been sold out to allocations.
Old February 1, 2018, 01:00 PM   #107
Crosshair

Pretty much everywhere is back ordered due to everyone going Shutupandtakemymoney.

There are some for sale on Gunbroker. A few use only the Ruger promo image, making me sceptical about if they actually have it on-hand.

Some of the auctions have photos of the box and gun to prove that they do have it on-hand. Some of those auctions people are biding a premium for one.

I expect supply to be tight for awhle.
Old February 1, 2018, 01:05 PM   #108
stagpanther

I can wait : )
Old February 1, 2018, 07:55 PM   #109
Apple a Day

Just a note: I just replaced the stock hammer with a Volquartzen target hammer. The trigger is much nicer.
Replacing the hammer on the PC-9 was even easier than swapping them out on a 10/22 since the ejector on the PC-9 isn't part of the trigger unit and you don't have to fool with the bolt release plate. It doesn't even have that little spring with the dogleg in it that you have to get under the ejector pin like on a 10/22. Just pop out pins and parts, replace. The most challenging part is swapping out the dingdang hammer spring on that little rod with the 'toilet seat' retainer on the end.

I'm hoping to take it back to the range this weekend and give it another run with the improved trigger.
Old February 2, 2018, 11:42 AM   #110
Crosshair

It's already a 4 pound trigger, from what I have read. What do you get by replacing the hammer?
Old February 2, 2018, 05:42 PM   #111
Apple a Day

I don't have a trigger pull gage but I don't think my trigger was 4 pounds. With the new hammer the trigger is lighter and more crisp. Definitely an improvement
Old February 4, 2018, 08:04 PM   #112
Glenn E. Meyer

Didn't see any at the gun show today. Sigh. Asked one dealer and the guy said he never heard of it. Want this Kel-tec?

No.

I want to pick one up before I buy it.