The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 26, 2018, 08:25 AM   #1
Castell88

Bergara Premier Mountain vs Stalker rifle

I am looking to purchase a Bergara Premier Series Rifle in 300 Win mag. In their Premier Rifles they have the Mountain and Stalker series. As far as I can tell from the website the only difference between the Mountain and Stalker in 300 Win mag is the Mountain series has a thinner barrel to reduce weight. The Stalker series rifle weighs 7.1 lbs versus 6.4 lbs for the Mountain series. Obviously the Mountain would be easier to carry, but is 11.2 ounces less weight worth not having other advantages of a heavier barrel, such as better accuracy, less recoil, etc.? Which one would make the better all-around hunting rifle? Any advice would be greatly appreciated since this is not a trivial investment for me. Thank you.
Old April 26, 2018, 06:49 PM   #2
Scorch

The biggest difference between the Stalker and the Mountain is that the Mountain has a stainless steel barreled action and a lighter barrel taper. Adds up to about 8 oz of difference. Other than that, they are essentially the same. They both have the same carbon fiber stock and drop floor plate magazine. Heavier barrel will be steadier to hold and slightly less recoil. Lighter barrel will be lighter, and I'm sure it will shoot just fine for a couple of rounds. Either will heat up pretty quick burning that much powder and start to wander.
Old April 27, 2018, 09:29 AM   #3
Castell88

Differences between Bergara Mountain and Stalker rifles

Thank you for responding. Before posting my question in this forum I had contacted Bergara customer service directly, and was told the only difference between the two models was the barrel taper. However, in the pictures of the rifle online and in their catalog the Mountain rifle appears to have a lighter colored finish than the Stalker model, even though the description on the website states that both the Mountain and Stalker rifles are stainless steel with a Cerakote finish. After reading your reply I called Bergara for clarification. According to the representative I spoke with, both models are stainless steel with a Cerakote finish, but the color of the Cerakote is a lighter color on the Mountain rifles. I suggested they might want to add this info to their website to address why the rifles that are supposedly made with the same steel and coatings are different colors. I have decided to go with the Stalker rifle for the slightly heavier barrel. My hunting partner just got a Winchester Extreme Weather 300 Win mag. After I get my Bergara 300 Win mag and break it in, I'll let you know which is more accurate. Once again, thank you for your response.
Old November 23, 2018, 04:12 PM   #4
GASSR20

Castell, I’m looking at both the premier stalker and the M70 EW. I know the specs of each and have held both. Im torn between the two to say the least. What are your impressions of each in the field?

Last edited by GASSR20; November 23, 2018 at 05:17 PM.