The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 9, 2018, 09:53 PM   #76
Tactical Jackalope

Oh man... I don't know why SIG has to crap the bed on their news designs for so long before they get fixed up. I mean, Glock did it and took care of it with the Gen 4 within a year. SIG did do right by the triggers on the P320s.

I think the market is so tense right now that they're just sending things along the conveyor belt. Where is the QC these days?
Old July 1, 2018, 09:06 AM   #77
Carl the Floor Walker

no comment

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; July 1, 2018 at 09:32 AM. Reason: wong thread
Old July 1, 2018, 10:46 AM   #78
Aguila Blanca
Staff

SIG should just close up the North American operation and get back to their roots. This is just another in a series of debacles. The 220, the 320, now the 365. And let's not forget the 1911! As a 1911 guy, I followed that more closely than the others. SIG proudly introduced their 1911 GSR ("Granite State Rail") 1911s with proclamations that they were making them better than anyone had before. But ... they had "improved" a 100 year old design to the point that it wouldn't run. So they closed down production.

The first run of SIG 1911s used frames and slides produced for SIG by Caspian Arms. SIG blamed Caspian for all the problems, cancelled the contract, and shifted to a different supplier. The problems persisted, and they had to shut down 1911 production a second time. Meanwhile, Caspian was selling off the excess SIG GSR frames and slides as custom kits, and the people who bought them and built them into pistols had zero problems. So the issue wasn't Caspian's parts, the issue was that SIG apparently doesn't know how to make guns.

And it seems they still haven't learned.
Old July 1, 2018, 12:12 PM   #79
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
SIG should just close up the North American operation and get back to their roots. This is just another in a series of debacles. The 220, the 320, now the 365. And let's not forget the 1911! As a 1911 guy, I followed that more closely than the others. SIG proudly introduced their 1911 GSR ("Granite State Rail") 1911s with proclamations that they were making them better than anyone had before. But ... they had "improved" a 100 year old design to the point that it wouldn't run. So they closed down production.

The first run of SIG 1911s used frames and slides produced for SIG by Caspian Arms. SIG blamed Caspian for all the problems, cancelled the contract, and shifted to a different supplier. The problems persisted, and they had to shut down 1911 production a second time. Meanwhile, Caspian was selling off the excess SIG GSR frames and slides as custom kits, and the people who bought them and built them into pistols had zero problems. So the issue wasn't Caspian's parts, the issue was that SIG apparently doesn't know how to make guns.

And it seems they still haven't learned.
The roots in Europe are at last check in serious legal trouble and no where near the production of SIG Sauer Inc. The old SIG is dead. SIG US was on the downturn before Cohen came along and likely wouldn't have survived in the modern market. Should their QC be better? Absolutely. Are the days of aluminum framed German made service pistols still here? No.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old July 1, 2018, 01:25 PM   #80
Mackie244Bud

Talk about a Blast from the past..
A 4 month old thread..closing towards 5 months in two weeks with today being July 1st.

Funny how when you go into the past nothing but "Doom & Gloom" was being thrown around about Sig and the P365..
Well,
Sig Sauer & the P365 have come a long way since February..
Fast forward to today and we have all gone through the following...

Resolved with Stop Shipment:

* No more Barrel peening
* New Recoil Spring
* New X-Ray 3 Sights

Minimal Issues with and resolution of:

* A Bad Batch of Strikers
* New Striker design
* Trigger Return Spring

June builds have reported none of the issues listed above or any new issues!
Majority of Sig P365's dating back from February through today are running issue free through thousands of rounds..
Mine has a build date of March 19th and has never had an issue.

Indeed, Much ado since February!
Hail the P365!

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; July 1, 2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old July 1, 2018, 01:46 PM   #81
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat
It's not completely the fault of manufacturers. The percentage of people that will pay the extra for a longer lasting product is smaller than you think. We have Ruger, for example, discontinuing some more expensive models in lieu of models they can sell for close to $200 because for many people that's all they are willing to spend.
It is largely the fault of the manufacturers, though. I understand your point, but if the lowest price at which a reputable company can produce and sell a decent, reliable pistol is $500, then reputable manufacturers are engaging in corporate hara kiri by trying to sell a pistol for $200 and hope that their name recognition will somehow magically compensate for the fact that it's a piece of [bleep]. If you're SIG or Smith & Wesson, at some point you have to just acknowledge that you can't compete on price with Wilkinson/Jiminez/... or Hi-Point, and move on.
Old July 1, 2018, 02:12 PM   #82
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
It is largely the fault of the manufacturers, though. I understand your point, but if the lowest price at which a reputable company can produce and sell a decent, reliable pistol is $500, then reputable manufacturers are engaging in corporate hara kiri by trying to sell a pistol for $200 and hope that their name recognition will somehow magically compensate for the fact that it's a piece of [bleep]. If you're SIG or Smith & Wesson, at some point you have to just acknowledge that you can't compete on price with Wilkinson/Jiminez/... or Hi-Point, and move on.
SIG isn't trying to compete with Hi Point or Jimemez though. They're trying to compete with Glock. Hence the price points of their newer products.

Last edited by TunnelRat; July 1, 2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old July 2, 2018, 08:26 AM   #83
Fishbed77

Quote:
If you're SIG or Smith & Wesson, at some point you have to just acknowledge that you can't compete on price with Wilkinson/Jiminez/... or Hi-Point, and move on.
And yet somehow S&W was last year (at least for a short time) with their heavy rebates. Picked up a S&W M&P Shield last year for under $215 after the rebate.
Old July 10, 2018, 03:35 PM   #84
Fox84

So when can a guy actually buy a P365. OUT OF STOCK where I buy.
Old July 10, 2018, 06:34 PM   #85
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox84 View Post
So when can a guy actually buy a P365. OUT OF STOCK where I buy.
Try another place?

Old July 11, 2018, 09:47 AM   #86
Saurdaukar

Well, since it was bumped...

Snagged a June build a couple days ago, despite some of the bad press. Only 100 rounds down the pipe, with many more required before a final verdict, but I can confirm that the primers are not showing any signs of severe striker drag.

Cautiously optimistic. I do like the thing. We'll see how it continues to run.
Old July 11, 2018, 04:25 PM   #87
jpx2rk

Received a sale flyer in the mail from BPS/Cabelas today, they had the 365 listed as "on sale"
Old July 11, 2018, 05:46 PM   #88
Fox84

After quite a wait, Buds has them in stock. They are not on sale though. They had over 10 in stock.
Old July 12, 2018, 01:56 AM   #89
Wheel-Gunner

No problems with mine after approx 600-700 rounds. No striker drag, no failure to return to battery, no barrel peening as far as I can tell......so far so good it seems like. Time will tell I suppose. I ordered an IWB holster for it and will probably start carrying it in the near future.

Anyone else have first-hand experiences they’d like to share? Please do!
Old July 12, 2018, 09:53 AM   #90
OhioGuy

If I didn't already have time and accessories invested in my Walther PPS, I'd be looking real hard at the P365 right now. As it is, I have well over 1K rounds through mine and it's never hiccuped once, so I know I can trust it.

Has anyone added one of Sig's laser guard modules to a P365 yet? I think it's called "Lima." Looks just like a Crimson Trace would look. I have the green Crimson Trace on my Walther and while I know there are a lot of laser-haters out there, I find them to be extremely helpful for rapid shot placement at near-ish distances.
Old July 12, 2018, 10:36 AM   #91
Gary L. Griffiths

Quote:
Has anyone added one of Sig's laser guard modules to a P365 yet?
So far they're vaporware. I've ordered one, but was told it'll be at least 6-8 weeks before it's shipped. Thought about using the CT Green laser on my XDs, but that would require modifying the frame of the 365 and would be thicker than the pistol, where the Lima Laser will be thinner. Will just have to wait.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old July 12, 2018, 01:23 PM   #92
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L. Griffiths View Post
So far they're vaporware. I've ordered one, but was told it'll be at least 6-8 weeks before it's shipped. Thought about using the CT Green laser on my XDs, but that would require modifying the frame of the 365 and would be thicker than the pistol, where the Lima Laser will be thinner. Will just have to wait.
The frames on these are supposed to be interchangeable right? Maybe they'll make a frame with built in laser like they've made for the P320? That would be cool. Expensive! But cool....
Old July 12, 2018, 01:59 PM   #93
TunnelRat

IIRC, although the P365 does have a FCU like the P320, you cannot swap the frame.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 13, 2018, 01:15 PM   #94
mlk18

I pre-ordered one from my local gun shop, was #10 on the list and just about up next when they cancelled my order. Apparently most of the guns that were coming in had problems right out of the box so they told the distributor that they didn't want any until Sig either fixed the design issues or improved their QC. Glad I didn't end up getting one after hearing that.
Old July 14, 2018, 03:47 AM   #95
wmg1299

I pre-ordered mine several months and received it in mid-June. I've put about 150 rounds through it with only 1 failure to go into battery. The failure occurred during a weak-hand/strong-hand drill, and it is quite possible that I limp-wristed that one shot. Overall, I am pleased with the pistol.
Old July 14, 2018, 08:10 AM   #96
Road_Clam

I live very close to the Sig mfg facility, my son tried a short , and negitive employment venture at Sig. I can tell you this, Sig is attempting to expand WAY too fast into multiple areas of firearms. They are seriously under capacity as far as skilled workforce. Sig was once regarded as a premier class of handgun, now they have gravitated towards a mass production mfg (or "rebadging") of handguns/rifles/silencers/optics/ammunition . Advice for Sig, pull back, restructure and focus on what you excelled at, which was handguns. Strictly just my opinions.
Old July 16, 2018, 09:30 PM   #97
Generic

My P365 has 2200+ rounds through it with no failures, but there is quite the striker drag happening. I guess we’ll see if the pin breaks.
Old July 18, 2018, 09:39 AM   #98
Brit

P220 .45 classic made in Germany! I fired a few rounds through one of those, perfect, so easy to double tap. Not my pistol.

The Sig 210 is or was the most beautiful, accurate 9mm I had ever used. How on earth can any Company send out a pistol that is not perfect right out of the box?

We carry these items to protect our lives! My Gen4 Glock 19 (That I bought in the first thousand, out of Austria!) mistake, now fixed. It has never failed in any way for years, and 16 rounds ready to go, adequate? That pistol goes in its holster every day, no worries.
Old July 18, 2018, 10:08 AM   #99
Fishbed77

Quote:
How on earth can any Company send out a pistol that is not perfect right out of the box?
No man-made mechanical device will ever be perfect.
Old July 19, 2018, 12:31 AM   #100
bluewater

Had a great day at the range today with my 3rd P365. Flawless after shooting 250 rounds. BOD 07/05/2018. # 1&2 were sent back to Sig to have strikers replaced. Sold #1 (BOD 04/25/2018) and keeping #2 (BOD 05/16/2018)