The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 6, 2002, 10:21 PM   #1
Nanaimo Barr

german???

this belongs to a friend of mine, says "it found it's way into my dads kitbag comeing back from the war"

he's getting into shooting it, and would like to know some more about it.

bolt action, 8mm
Old September 6, 2002, 10:22 PM   #2
Nanaimo Barr

other end of bolt
Old September 7, 2002, 12:02 AM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is the Polish Model 29 short rifle. Except for minor details, it is identical to the standard German Kar. 98k and fires the same 7.9mm (8mm Mauser) ammunition. F.B. Radom stands for Fabryka Brony Radom, or Radom Arms Factory, at Radom, Poland. This is the same factory that made the famous Radom pistol.

Polish rifles and pistols were well made until late in the war. They were used by the Germans in large quantities after the conquest of Poland because they used the standard German ammunition. The pistol was an FN-Browning design which looks much like the U.S. Model 1911, but is in 9mm. Both were brought back when captured from the Germans. It didn't need to "find its way" into baggage; bringing back captured enemy arms was permitted and even encouraged in some areas.

Your rifle was made in 1934 and is a beautifully made rifle, equal to any made in German, Belgium or Czechoslovakia in that era.

Polish rifles are uncommon here and there is a good collector interest, so if it is original, don't do anything to it.

Jim
Old September 7, 2002, 12:09 AM   #4
Nanaimo Barr

much thanks Jim, he will be very pleased.. it has been re-stocked to more modern one (comb on the stock etc), I know he's not interested in selling it (he's also got a good condition M1 carbine with orignal fittings)

NB
Old September 7, 2002, 02:10 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Dang, Jim beat me to it.

In the years I've been mucking with guns, I've seen exactly 3 Radom rifles. All three were from the pre-war era, and all three were INCREDIBLY well made.

Don't go mucking with it. It's worth a nice premium, I would suspect.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 8, 2002, 10:00 AM   #6
Nanaimo Barr

I was going to put a little sigh paint on it due to it being hard to see in anything less that bright sunlight, but not gonna do anything but give it a good cleaning, I I double checked. the original stock is long gone. the numbers and so forth on the rear sights look to be in good (if dirty) shape. question, should I clean the dirt and crud off the numbers or just clean the barrel and action? (he still wants to use it for hunting)