The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Closed Thread

Old April 1, 2018, 07:33 AM   #1
Para Bellum

20 or 18" Barrel for .222 hunting roe deer up to 150m?

Hi Folks and happy easter!

It has been a while.

I am about to get a Merkel .222 Rem break aktion hunting rifle as a gift. I want to shorten the Barrel to 50cm (20") max and to attach a thread for my surpressor.

The rifle should be used for hunting roe deer (small, big ones are 45# without guts, with head), stalking in the woods (Europe). Distances up to 150m.

To what barrel length should I hace cut the Barrel? I think 20" (50cm) plus the surpressor should be long enough. What do you think?

...and since I eat all I hunt with my family, I want to use lead free bullets....

All the best,
PB
Old April 1, 2018, 07:44 AM   #2
Mobuck

I suppose you could get most of the 222's potential from an 18" barrel. Some users will tell you a 16" .223 is a "600 yard shooter".

"..and since I eat all I hunt with my family, I want to use lead free bullets...."
And why do you feel it's advantageous to "use lead free bullets" because you intend to consume the game meat?
Old April 1, 2018, 07:56 AM   #3
jmr40

Either barrel length will be fine, no game animal will ever notice the difference at 150m. Pick the one that suits you and works best with the suppressor.

Solid copper bullets would probably be my 1st choice out of a 22 caliber rifle because they tend to penetrate better than lead.

You and your family would be perfectly safe eating the meat regardless. This is a non-factor.

Winston Churchill
Old April 1, 2018, 08:43 AM   #4
Para Bellum

Quote:
You and your family would be perfectly safe eating the meat regardless. This is a non-factor.
thanks, I know. Still I doubt. Paranoid? Yes.
Old April 1, 2018, 09:59 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

What's the twist? For a given weight, copper bullets are longer than lead, so a faster twist is need for stability of the bullet.

I've eaten my share of over fifty deer in a thirty-some-year span of hunting Bambi, and have made it to age 83 with no problem.
Old April 1, 2018, 10:33 AM   #6
Jim Watson

Barnes does not call for a 12 twist for .224" TSX until they get to 53 grains.
Apparently the 50 grain was ok in the standard .222 14 twist.
Old April 1, 2018, 12:04 PM   #7
handlerer2

18" or 20" barrel. I would opt for 18". I don't think that 2" would be especially significant in the field.

Just curious, which break open action? This could be very compact and handy. I like this idea. I have always liked the falling block designs. Compact, capable of suitable accuracy and as simple a design as they come

Since you brought it up. Your choice of lead free bullets has gotten much more response than the topic of your post.

Lead in it's metallic form is actually rather inert.

There have been long rants with many !!!!!!!!!!!!!, on this topic in past and I had to wonder if this would devolve before I found out what rifle you choose.

If you are concerned if there is even the smallest risk of toxicity, which I'm not, then by all means go lead free. These are your kids and your conscience.
Old April 1, 2018, 01:34 PM   #8
math teacher

The longer barrel should result in greater velocity with greater rotational spin which would help stabilize slightly longer and heavier bullets. Otherwise it should make little difference.
Old April 1, 2018, 02:33 PM   #9
std7mag

You need to check your laws for velocity.
Europe, to my understanding, has specific laws for energy at a certain distance.

Something to consider before cutting your barrel too short.

This woult also take bullet weight into consideration.
Old April 1, 2018, 02:37 PM   #10
Jim Watson

I once had a couple of 20 inch rifles, a .222 and a 6mm Rem.
I would sure want a silencer to hunt with one of them.

I have no experience swinging a hunting rifle with a silencer and I don't know what effect another two inches would have.
Old April 1, 2018, 07:06 PM   #11
Mobuck

Considering that the common bullet weight for the .222 has been basically locked in at 50 grains for as long as I can remember, the twist rate is most likely going to be too slow for much heavier bullet weight(or length).

My family has eaten close to 200 deer shot with lead core bullets w/o any issues.
Old April 5, 2018, 12:24 AM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Do consider the effect cutting the barrel can have on accuracy, PLUS the effect of the suppressor.

A poor job recrowning the barrel after a cut can turn a 1" rifle into a 6" rifle, without the added complication of the suppressor.
Old April 5, 2018, 08:24 PM   #13
Blindstitch

How long is the barrel now?
Old April 14, 2018, 06:18 AM   #14
BeeShooter

The 222 rem. normally has a 1/14 twist for the 50gr. bullet. The ideal barrel length is 20 to 22 inches. It can break a 150 lb. deer's neck at 150 yds. easy. The 222 Remington cartridge is one of the most accurate cartridges ever made. I've killed countless American white tail deer by shooting them in the upper neck with a 50gr. varmint bullet and at a distance of no more than 150 meters. Past that distance, I use a 22-250. I almost never shoot at an animal past 300 meters. I can't help you with the suppressor thingy. I don't shoot with suppressors. The 222 rem isn't that loud anyway.
Old April 14, 2018, 06:35 AM   #15
ammo.crafter

Triple deuce

Have been shooting the .222 for more than 50 years, most of which have been with my reloads.

Exquisitely accurate with 52gr pill and 19.0 gr 4198 out of a 22-inch barrel.

I am puzzled by your "need" for a suppressor. The triple deuce is not loud.

Lead bullets vis-a-vis consuming your deer is a non-issue.
Old May 1, 2018, 06:00 AM   #16
Para Bellum

Thank you all for your time and thought. The rifle has arrived. It is a Merkel K4. Beautiful. .222 with a 60cm barrel and a S&B Scope. I will change nothing at all with this rifle.

Btw, I have been hunting lead free ever since. Federal Trophy Copper currently (.308, 165grs) very happy with it.

And the velocity is no issue where I live, we only have .222 as minimum caliber for even-toed ungulate (deer and pigs).

So, the .222 Merkel K4 stays at it is. It will be my wife and daughther’s rifle for the hunting exam. The don’t have suppressor permits yet.

And I will get myself another one, but that’s another thread.
Have a nice day,
PB
Old May 8, 2018, 10:50 AM   #17
sigshepardo

I would say 20 inch simply because you're going to want all the energy you can get with that 22 cal bullet.

Also bullet choice is going to be super important. I would go toward the heavier end of the spectrum as well as getting a good hunting specific bullet.

Lastly, SHOT PLACEMENT is everything.
Old May 8, 2018, 12:06 PM   #18
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Decision made.
Closed Thread