The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 14, 2015, 11:46 PM   #1
Fast996

1932 Springfield ???

I am trying to figure out what kind of rifle this is it has the 1922 shotgun style stock (sporter) and a 28" heavy barrel .The stock has a circle "P" Proof and that is all there is on the stock.The serial number is 1417414 which makes it 1932 mfg.The bolt is marked "N.S." on the root.The bolt and extractor are polished. The bolt is not serialized . In Brophys book he mentions a "T" style BUT this is out of the serial range
according to him the "T" Rifles were made in 1930 about 100 were produced.

The barrel is a "T" style with the Browning frontsight a Redfield globe sight sits atop it. It's 1.295 at the breech and .865 at the muzzle weighs 11+ lbs.Front receiver bridge is drilled along with barrel 7.25 on center.Question is the front receiver edge beveled where it meets the barrel like a sporter action??
The rifle action & barrel are rust blued which looks original to the springfield armory finish at the time.The sight is a later 48 type not period to the rifle. The stock could be cut down slightly???What fool would do this.The safety is standard issue not reversed .

I am interested in purchasing this rifle but only if it is a match action with an uncut stock.The barrel looks correct with sight and barrel band (Enfield) type.

Bore is good with strong rifling but shadowy according to seller.Blue is 85% barrel action.
If anyone can point out whether indeed it is a match action or any other points re rifle please post.
Seller is asking $4000 need estimate from RKI on it's value , is it a collectable or put together rifle.

To my knowledge the serial# is not on the DCM sales list.

Thanks

upload pics

forum image hosting

adult image host

upload gambar

image hosting

screen cap

free image host

upload gif from url

gif hosting

free uploader
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1903tMGE20-Z-F1-L (1).jpg (75.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 1903tMGE20-Z-F2-L (2).jpg (67.6 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Fast996; October 15, 2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old October 17, 2015, 02:15 PM   #2
highpower3006

If the serial number is not on the sales list, it will be pretty hard to verify that it is a original rifle. I had a real NRA sporting rifle years ago and if I remember correctly, the front of the receiver was quite a bit more rounded than that one is.
Old October 17, 2015, 04:25 PM   #3
Fast996

That is correct if it isn't on the DCM sales list it's value is questionable .Is it worth $4000 from the dealer unverified as an original "T" type & a cut stock 13 inch. lop vs 13 1/2 inch ? I agree 3006 this isn't a sporter action.

Another thread on this rifle..

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showth...-1903-H-B-1932
Old October 17, 2015, 07:09 PM   #4
kilimanjaro

For $4000 I would want an unquestioned authenticity and provenance in writing.
Old October 18, 2015, 01:05 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Sportered 1903A1 Springfield with bubba'd a full pistol grip type C stock. Receiver was made in 1932.
Stock is not 'as issued' and the scope base blocks suggests civilian use. Although the possibility exists it had a Unertl on it at some time. The butt stock has been heavily sanded. Butt plate doesn't fit right.
Suspect the seller is very confused. Like Kilimanjaro says, that value would require serious documentation.