The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 21, 2015, 09:03 PM   #1
DennisCA

Why I like old guns: Alec C/TFB TV

This sums up why I like C&R guns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaQoeEtJtsU

I don't think I could say it any better myself!
Old October 24, 2015, 08:19 PM   #2
emcon5

Someone will probably complain that it is a drive by, but that really is a good video.

Very well said.
Old October 27, 2015, 11:38 AM   #3
DennisCA

Not a drive-by!

I posted this video to pass along to my C&R'ers!
Old October 27, 2015, 09:03 PM   #4
gyvel

Amen! As old as they are, "old guns" are, IMHO, still light years ahead of today's plastic crap.
SIFE
Old October 28, 2015, 05:08 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I posted this video to pass along to my C&R'ers!"

It's very close to a cut & paste drive by.

TFL is a discussion forum, not a video link site. All posts are to either start or to further discussion of the topic at hand. That means it's up to the OP (or the person posting the link if in an active thread) to kick off the discussion with some insight and commentary about the information at the link.

Posting the video to "pass along to your fellow C&R" enthusiasts really doesn't meet that criteria.

For anyone who's not familiar with TFL's rules on cut & paste drive by posting (and even if you are but need a refresher): http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418983

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 28, 2015, 06:19 AM   #6
BoogieMan

I think the question that the video really asks most of us is:
Why do you own/collect guns?
My first couple had to fill a specific need. To harvest game. To protect my family. Etc.. They were new guns or current used guns like Beretta 96 or Remington 7600.
As a Machinist/Engineer and someone interested in both my family and world history it would only seem natural to begin to appreciate the finer points of firearms. The history and reason behind the men who made them. The use that they had. The countless lives they may have taken to defend a nation or in some cases conquer new lands. I have nothing against a Glock or M&P, they are fine guns. They just don't give me the pride in ownership and heritage that the old guns do. I also cant justify to my wife or myself the need for 6 handguns that do the same thing, except one has a flashlight, one a laser, another a shorter barrel, etc... The classics can be passed off as a investment or at least a shield against inflation. Seeing as my collection also gets used at the range. I can also assure anyone that they are all still very capable of holding there own against any of the new guns.

@ the OP- you should have posted some type of question along with the link to match forum guidelines. Regardless, thank you for sharing. I was able to make my own questions and answers from the content.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown

Last edited by BoogieMan; October 28, 2015 at 06:25 AM.
Old October 28, 2015, 06:05 PM   #7
Cheapshooter

Much of my safe space is taken up by "old guns". My reason different in principle than the video however. But my enjoyment of them at the range very much the same.
The whole reason for my C&R FFL has been the relative low prices of many fine old milsurp firearms, and a few much more modern, but still very reasonably priced.
To make it short, my username says it all.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 28, 2015, 07:44 PM   #8
gyvel

The guns in the video had me drooling, as they were in very nice condition. These are the guns that will still be around in two or three centuries, long after all the plastic garbage has decayed into little plastic shards.

Furthermore, the guns featured all have a significant history behind them.
SIFE
Old October 31, 2015, 01:51 PM   #9
cc-hangfire

Thanks for posting the link. Thoroughly enjoyed it, & it helped me articulate what has become my "accumulation" (it doesn't deserve to be called a collection, too lofty of a title!).

I have found that I like handguns best, like shooting them, admire the differences in their designs, and like the historically significant designs. So I've ended up with a collection of mostly surplus 9mm handguns. Some of the "reproductions" aren't in the original caliber (a Tokarev design in 9mm, and a 1911 in 9mm - I know, that's blasphemy to JMB's name), but the FNHP, P38, CZ75, & P226 are retired service sidearms. There's as much enjoyment in the history & design as in the trips to the range.