The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 11, 2017, 08:29 AM   #1
Fuzzy Dice

Knoxville - attitude towards firearms?

Hello all,

Like many, I've visited this forum for many years and just recently signed on. Lots of helpful folks and great info here.

I live in nyc and am planning on moving to TN - Knoxville - West, North, South (unsure where at the moment), sometime in the next few years. At present I'm in the dreaming and research phase and haven't visited yet but that will be step one.

Part of my plans include obtaining a concealed carry permit once properly established as a resident.

Can someone offer some insight into how firearms ownership is viewed in Knoxville? Is it embraced? Is the range experience enjoyable?

I'm basically at the "I don't know what I don't know" phase regarding Knoxville so any information is welcome.

Thank you,

Fuzzy
Old February 11, 2017, 04:14 PM   #2
osbornk

I live in Virginia about 50 miles from Tennessee and my daughter and her family live in East Tennessee, less than 100 miles from Knoxville. East Tennessee folks likes guns and you will think you have died and gone to heaven regarding guns. The Tennessee concealed permit takes a one day training class and requires shooting. My daughter got her permit on a Saturday and she had never touched a gun until the evening before she got her permit. I think the new fee for a lifetime permit was changed to $200.
Old February 11, 2017, 05:03 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

FWIW, the 2017 edition of Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States assigns a rating of about 92 to Tennessee. For comparison, New York (state) is rated at 22. Keep in mind that this book is geared to travelers, so things like recognition of other states' permits is likely a part of the author's algorithm, but in general it would seem that Tennessee is light yars ahead of NYC.

I'm researching places to which to relocate for myself, which is why I have this book. In fact, just yesterday I went through and picked out the top twenty gun-friendly states. Next step for me is to factor in other parameters and see if I can come up with an overall points/rating system to help me narrow my choice.
Old February 11, 2017, 06:49 PM   #4
DaleA

Quote:
Is the range experience enjoyable?
I wouldn't say I've been at a lot of ranges but I've been to more than a few and only one sticks out in my mind as being 'unfriendly' so if you hit one like that just move on and I bet the next one would be ok.

The 'unfriendly' range I ran across was one for trap shooters and unless you were busting more than 20 out of 25 birds a round you weren't welcome. But there were other ranges in the city that were quite friendly no matter your skill level.
Old February 12, 2017, 09:57 AM   #5
22-rimfire

Knoxville TN is a very gun friendly city and county. Great place to live.
Old February 12, 2017, 10:59 AM   #6
g.willikers

You need to go there to see for yourself.
When you walk into a regular ole' sporting goods store and see an entire section full of guns, you will know.
Old February 12, 2017, 11:10 AM   #7
cptjack

from me experience, you get" you talk funny" and will take years to be accepted, when I was in NEW MEX ON A UNION JOB WHICH IS SCARCE THERE THE LOCAL BOYS ,
CALLED ME YANK which I didn't take as an insult ,They took me for what I am. being brothers even living upstate in my home state ,takes a while for people to warm up. good luck and buy a large piece of land.
Old February 12, 2017, 11:17 AM   #8
g.willikers

When you go there, don't forget to wear your NRA cap at all times.
Well, maybe not in the shower.
Old February 12, 2017, 12:29 PM   #9
Fuzzy Dice

Thanks so much for your input guys! This is very helpful. It's refreshing to read comments from like minded folks.
Old February 12, 2017, 01:57 PM   #10
RoughDivider

The only places in Tennessee that are slightly less friendly than the rest of the state is probably Memphis. Otherwise you'll probably get given a welcome to Tennessee commemorative gun.
Old February 12, 2017, 06:18 PM   #11
jmr40

I live in N GA, but have family scattered along the eastern border of TN from Chattanooga to Bristol including some in Knoxville. A couple of cousins in the NW corner too. You won't find a much more gun friendly part of the country.

Winston Churchill
Old February 14, 2017, 08:40 PM   #12
mk70ss

I live just north of Knoxville and it is very gun friendly here. Knoxville proper is somewhat liberal because of the college, UT, but the whole region is very gun friendly.
Old February 15, 2017, 07:25 PM   #13
22-rimfire

Quote:
from me experience, you get" you talk funny" and will take years to be accepted, when I was in NEW MEX ON A UNION JOB WHICH IS SCARCE THERE THE LOCAL BOYS, CALLED ME YANK which I didn't take as an insult ,They took me for what I am. being brothers even living upstate in my home state ,takes a while for people to warm up. good luck and buy a large piece of land.
That sort of thing happens in the hills/mountains. It is a very common local reaction to "Yanks" in Appalachia in general. I ran into that in KY, but not TN.
Old February 16, 2017, 03:45 PM   #14
lefteye

Tennessee is generally very gun friendly.
Old February 16, 2017, 06:02 PM   #15
Fuzzy Dice

Thanks again all. I'm not a Yankees fan so I hope I can talk TN folks into calling me a Met. The Mets are my team!
Old February 16, 2017, 07:38 PM   #16
Don P

Try here for info. Gary and his partner do a fantastic job. www.handgunlaw.us
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 19, 2017, 08:14 AM   #17
Fuzzy Dice

Again, thanks for the input. A scouting trip is definitely in the plans for this year.
Old February 19, 2017, 10:14 AM   #18
Buckeye!

I have lived in TN for 35 years ... About 1.5 from Knoxville .. You are good to go
Gun friendly ...
Old February 19, 2017, 11:01 AM   #19
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye
... About 1.5 from Knoxville ...
1.5 hours, miles, days, kilometers, or parsecs?