The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 3, 2017, 11:22 AM   #1
DMK

XDS .45 vs Shield .45?

I have a Shield chambered in .45 and it is a nice handgun with a decent trigger for a poly subcompact. However, I'm considering selling it to buy a .45 XDS in order to get the 4" barrel.

Have any of you compared the post recall .45 XDS to the Shield .45?

How do the triggers compare?
Old February 3, 2017, 11:38 AM   #2
Fla_dogman

I really like my XDS 4" in 45. The trigger is a little stiff but I'm accurate with it so it's not unbearable. I prefer the 4" for better recoil control (IMHO) and longer sight plain. It's very thin and a pleasure to carry. I don't have any experience with the shield in 45 only 9mm. Hope this helps with your decision.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Old February 4, 2017, 01:23 PM   #3
Technosavant

I have a recent XDS in .45, my father bought a Shield .45 a couple months ago.

I've fired them back to back, so yeah, I can compare.

Honestly, there's really not much difference between them in how they shoot. Both are accurate, both are about the same size. The Shield is about $100 less most of the time I see them and holds one more round, so on paper the Shield is preferable. Felt recoil is pretty well identical. I prefer the feel of the grip frame on the XDS over the Shield and I like the grip safety on the XDS, but that's personal preference. The magazines on the Shield are a bit thicker- it's not a single stack like the XDS, but neither is it a true double stack... it's just a tad thicker to fit another round in there. Trigger is pretty even- XDS might be a bit shorter pull, but I didn't feel there is a real difference that makes one great and the other bad.

My opinion- you aren't poorly served by either of them. They're pretty well equal. Both companies are known for great customer service (and I've used both of their customer service departments, both being great to deal with). If I didn't have my XDS, I might well buy the Shield because it's cheaper. But it's entirely a personal preference decision. I'd say pick one and don't worry that you're missing out or bought the wrong gun. They're both the right gun.
Old February 5, 2017, 06:08 AM   #4
t45

I can only speak about the XDS 4.0 45acp. Very good gun. Accurate and reliable. Ive dry fired it several hundred times to smooth out the trigger. I've not heard any bad things about the Shield either. I don't think you will go wrong with either choice. It boils down to how it fits your hand.
Old February 6, 2017, 09:53 AM   #5
DMK

Thanks for the comments guys.

I really do like the triggers on both of my Shields, but I've read mixed reviews of the XDS triggers.

I really do like that longer barrel and sight radius of the XDS 4.0 though.
Old February 6, 2017, 09:46 PM   #6
Buckeye!

I have a XDS45. Great pistol .. But the Sheild 45 looks like a winner ... And costs less ... I think .. personaly I would let the new Sheild go through its growing pains .. before I would decide..
As for the trigger on tbe XDS45 .. Its good not great ..its a self defense pistol
Old February 7, 2017, 07:27 AM   #7
DMK

Quote:
And costs less ... I think
The Shield does cost substantially less than the XDS, ... which is probably why I ended up with two of them.
Old February 9, 2017, 02:48 PM   #8
fl_rich

I don't own and have never shot a shield but I do own a XDS45 and is a sweet shooter. accurate, it has recoil but nothing to gripe about. The trigger is fine for factory but I could see improving it.... cause I can It got nice sights, its small for a 45 and has never ever misfired. If it died would I buy another ? Heck ya!

Bet the Shield is a sweet shooter too. For me it all comes down to how it made me feel the day I brought her home. Still tell the story.. It was in the middle of the Obama gun/ammo shortage back in 2013, no one had guns, there was no ammo on the shelves..... y'all have to stop by in person to hear it right
Old February 9, 2017, 02:55 PM   #9
Texas45

XDS .45 vs Shield .45?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl_rich View Post
I don't own and have never shot a shield but I do own a XDS45 and is a sweet shooter. accurate, it has recoil but nothing to gripe about. The trigger is fine for factory but I could see improving it.... cause I can It got nice sights, its small for a 45 and has never ever misfired. If it died would I buy another ? Heck ya!

Bet the Shield is a sweet shooter too. For me it all comes down to how it made me feel the day I brought her home. Still tell the story.. It was in the middle of the Obama gun/ammo shortage back in 2013, no one had guns, there was no ammo on the shelves..... y'all have to stop by in person to hear it right

How do you know the shield is a sweet shooter?
You said youve never shot it

I have and do and YES it is a sweet shooter head n shoulders above the XD which I have shot several times. Choose the better of the two the shield.

Even in 13 during the Obama shortage when I chose the 40 shield then when 45 came out in 16 I snagged it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 9, 2017, 07:35 PM   #10
rodfac

Son #2 has had an XDS 45 for the past three years or so...carries it all the time and it's a hellofa shooter. I've shot it some, and was amazed at the accuracy...a little over 2" at 25 yds with our loads. Son has taken woodchucks here on our farms out to 60 yards or so. It's a fine carry pistol...light, with all the advantages that a .45 brings to the SD regimen.

Both my son and I have broad experience with 1911's, Sig's and to some extent, Glocks and I'd rank that XDS .45 of his right up there with the best of the rest. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 10, 2017, 02:19 AM   #11
railroader

I can't comment on the shield but I carry a XDS 45. What a great little gun. Mine is super reliable and really accurate especially for such a small gun. One thing the grip has very aggressive texturing. I went with a rubberized stick on talon grip now everything is good.
Old February 10, 2017, 08:11 PM   #12
presspics

I've had both. The Shield is a better gun. Especially the trigger.
Old February 11, 2017, 12:14 PM   #13
rt11002003

I'm amazed at the Shield in .45ACP. Nice carry size, really accurate, soft recoil and good trigger.

Haven't owned the XDS, but didn't care of the overall feel and operation.
Old February 22, 2017, 08:11 AM   #14
DMK

A follow up:

I just bought the XDS 4.0 but in 9mm. Assuming it's reliable, I'll likely get a 45ACP version at a later date as I am very impressed with how the little handgun looks and feels.

All my worries about the trigger were for naught. I'm actually surprised now that so many people complained about it. My example is very sharp and crisp with no creep and a very positive and audible reset. This is straight out of the box with no break-in. I'm looking forward to see what it will feel like after 500 rounds or so.

Comparing my Shields to the XDS, the 9mm Shield has a noticeably lighter trigger (with my 45ACP Shield even lighter than the 9mm handgun). However, going back and forth between them, the Shield actually feels slightly spongy in comparison. Though I really have to go back and forth and pay attention to feel the difference (other than the trigger weight of course). I don't think either of these guns need any help from the aftermarket here.

Overall I'm very happy and can't wait to get it to the range this weekend for a break-in session.

Thanks for the comments folks!