The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 18, 2014, 05:26 PM   #1
sound2man

Flying to Michigan with Handguns

Intro post...

I'm a California resident who is planning a trip to Michigan, and would like to bring a couple of my hand guns and meet up with some friends at a range to do some shooting.

Has anyone flown into Michigan with handguns, or shot in Michigan with handguns you brought from out of state? I do not have a permit to carry, but I also I don't plan to carry them, open or concealed. I just want to bring them to a range, shoot them, and then pack them back up.

I heard that it was possibly illegal to bring handguns into the state if you don't have a concealed permit, but that did not seem logical to me - but when are gun laws ever logical? I tried calling the Michigan state police non-emergency line, but only got a busy signal.

Any past experience, or current knowledge you can share would be appreciated.
Old August 18, 2014, 06:50 PM   #2
Pahoo

Reciprocity

Quote:
I heard that it was possibly illegal to bring handguns into the state if you don't have a concealed permit, but that did not seem logical to me - but when are gun laws ever logical? I tried calling the Michigan state police non-emergency line, but only got a busy signal.
WOW, news to me as I have driven from Iowa to Michigan and did some target shooting with my Sister and Brother-in-law. My only concern, was running the Illinois Gauntlet and again, did so, legally.

You need to find a reciprocity map for more details as well as get current on their restriction. Most Midwest states have laws that are very friendly and common. Again, except for Illinois. ....

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...ry-reciprocity

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old August 19, 2014, 05:31 PM   #3
Corrections Cop

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...654---,00.html

Check this out, this should tell you what you need to know.
Old August 21, 2014, 12:59 AM   #4
bitttorrrent

Didn't dive through the link, but Michigan is harder than you would think. At the moment, IL is better! I can get my concealed carry for Chicago with no problem.

However, as an out of state non permanent summer home owner in MI, I have failed to get one single ok for any type of firearm.

IL and MI don't acknowledge each other.

But I sometimes bring some guns from Chicago to shoot at my Dad's range in MI, so it is really just transporting.

There is nothing else I can do except don't do anything at all.
Old August 21, 2014, 01:24 AM   #5
RX-79G

With the exception of a very few places, taking a handgun into a different state to shoot it is a non-issue.

Check with the airline what they require for transport. You'll have to check that bag or bags, which is expensive nowadays.
Old August 21, 2014, 04:02 AM   #6
DA/SA Fan

It really is disgusting that this kind of thing needs to be planned and researched We all use the same constitution yet you can cross borders of some states and lose you freedom. We all need to push for reciprocity laws no matter which state we live in!
Old August 21, 2014, 04:07 AM   #7
RX-79G

Well, at least you don't have to figure out where sodomy is okay, anymore.
Old August 21, 2014, 04:40 AM   #8
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA/ SA Fan
We all need to push for reciprocity laws no matter which state we live in!
The problem with that, as some others have pointed out in other threads, is that standardization of firearm laws will probably result in a overall more restrictive laws. I'm surprised that a state hasn't already sued another state for their "lax" gun laws and then the courts legislate that uniform gun laws are the way to go...
Old August 21, 2014, 08:04 AM   #9
Corrections Cop

Quote:
Didn't dive through the link, but Michigan is harder than you would think. At the moment, IL is better! I can get my concealed carry for Chicago with no problem.

However, as an out of state non permanent summer home owner in MI, I have failed to get one single ok for any type of firearm.

IL and MI don't acknowledge each other.

But I sometimes bring some guns from Chicago to shoot at my Dad's range in MI, so it is really just transporting.

There is nothing else I can do except don't do anything at all.
I disagree, Michigan is a very gun friendly state, I would imagine that IL and MI reciprocity will change, now since IL has a form of ccw. When the law was wrote in MI, IL was still gun restrictive. Michigan has a strong ccw movement and open carry movement at this time. And Michigan has a strong tradition of hunting, and shooting. Our Gov. was even trying to get someof the east coast gun manufactures to come to MI, due to our gun friendliness.
Old August 21, 2014, 10:48 AM   #10
Pahoo

Good guy in Iowa but not in Illinois !!!

Quote:
It really is disgusting that this kind of thing needs to be planned and researched We all use the same constitution yet you can cross borders of some states and lose you freedom.
A friend of mine, recently moved from Iowa to Illinois. He maintained an Iowa permit long before we had shall-issue. He started the Illinois process and was soon discouraged. The process was too long, "very" expensive and renewal period was too short and again, expensive. Oh, he can afford it but, to him, not worth the effort. .....

Be Safe !!!