The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 11, 2013, 08:51 PM   #1
jproaster

Vortex razor hd 20-60x85 ok to 400yards?

I want to learn to shoot long distance at a local range- up to 500 yards. I'll just start with what I have gunwise- ruger hawkeye 308 w. low end zeiss conquest scope. Now, ive just begun to delve into skill training, (some good threads on this fine site);, but I know I'll need a good spot scope. Since Im not even close to being wealthy, yet enjoy quality, Im thinking that the vortex spot scope may be worth my jeep upgrade money to see 308 holes to 300. Wondering about 400? Maybe nother s scope? Ive never tried, but optics plnet pparently has an option to "get a deal." Thought I might try it.

Thanks,
John
Old August 12, 2013, 09:01 AM   #2
Huffmanite

I'm hardly a spotting scope expert and seldom visit the 400 or 600 yd ranges of shooting club I'm a member.

First, Vortex has a good reputation for being decent quality. However, can't say as I've ever seen a vortex spotting scope at the range I've been a member for around 5 years.

Several of the gents I shoot with on a regular basis use Konus spotting scopes. They're happy with them. Not sure of brand, perhaps Orion, but other gents I shoot with use star glazing telescopes, refractor type, for their shooting to 600 yds at our range. Heck, not unusual to see one being used on our 100/200 yd range.

Problem with any high power spotting or telescope you can expect, is dealing with mirage on a hot day. Mirage will really mess the the effectiveness of a high power scope, whether its a typical design spotting scope or a star scope.
Old August 12, 2013, 10:02 AM   #3
jproaster

Thanks for the input huffmanite. I dont know the people a the range in Chatta who shoot long range to get a sense of scopes used. Hopefully joining that range soon.

Ive read that some use the star gazing scopes; still doing my homework.

Maybe get a $200 scope and work up to 200 yds. Get a feel for worthiness of investment for me.

John