The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 9, 2013, 12:16 PM   #1
Nimrod2

SW Arkansas rut

Can anyone tell me when the rut kicks in around the Hope, Mufreesboro, SW Arkansas areas?
I suspect it will be in late November but none too sure. I have never hunted that area but would like to try it this year. Thanks.
Old July 9, 2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Erno86

I hunt Maryland whitetails...the peak of the rut here, I believe, is November 13. My best time to start rattling antlers, {with a good buck to doe ratio}, is October 21. It is best to hunt 3 days before an 3 days after the peak of the rut --- with any unbred does --- coming back into heat, 30 days later. First yearling does, will come into estrous on the second peak.

As you travel further south...the peak of the rut occurs on a later date, with the Key deer on the Florida Keys, coming into first estrous in January.

--- George Orwell
Old July 9, 2013, 04:36 PM   #3
DavidAGO

I hunt SW Arkansas, it always seems to be the week before thanksgiving. Last season it was full on just before Thanksgiving. By Sunday after Thanksgiving it seemed to be over.

David
Old July 10, 2013, 02:46 AM   #4
Nimrod2

Rut dates

Thanks, guys.
Looks like mid to late November will be the ticket. Good luck.