The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 20, 2011, 01:45 PM   #1
jfischer

9mm 16" barrel looking for load data

Looking for some load data for 9mm out of a 16" barrel, looking for load data for 90 grain and up. Any cast data would be much apreciated also.
Old October 20, 2011, 02:38 PM   #2
Adamantium

Is there something more specific you are looking for? Load data is load data, whether you are shooting it out of a 3 inch barrel or a 16 inch one.

Perhaps this might help? http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9mmluger.html It shows 9mm ammo really not getting much velocity gain out of barrels longer than 5".

If I am missing what you are trying to say let me know.
Old October 20, 2011, 03:01 PM   #3
jfischer

This may be a flawed thought process ( I have a lot of those ) but wouldn’t a slower burning powder in a longer barrel improve your velocities? Pistol powder is design for quick burning to maximize a short barrel is my understanding. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old October 20, 2011, 03:07 PM   #4
Adamantium

I have thought about that myself quite a bit but don't own a chronograph and so have never tested it. If you wanted to experiment with that look at some of the powders at the slower end of "suitable" for 9mm. HS-6 and AA #7 come to mind, but you won't find any long barrel specific load data.
Old October 20, 2011, 03:12 PM   #5
Adamantium

This may help. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=134051
Old October 20, 2011, 03:19 PM   #6
jfischer

Chrono is on my xmas list to the old lady. This will be a plinking and short range coyote gun. I already cast for 9mm/38 super so I am thinking a 9mm AR would be awful cheap to shoot. I have a source for lead so primer and powder is my only cost to load. At 6 cents around to load I am in the good 22 lr ammo price with a lot more pop.
Old October 22, 2011, 03:14 PM   #7
zxcvbob

Here's my opinions, FWIW (maybe not much):
Use lead bullets instead of jacketed to minimize friction, and relatively slow powder, like AA#7 or Power Pistol. Probably a middle-weight bullets, like 124 or 135 grains, and don't load them too short (you need all the case capacity for powder you can get)
Old October 28, 2011, 12:02 AM   #8
DarthNul

I worked on this when I had a HiPoint carbine in 9mm.

Lighter bullets, I used Hornady 90gr XTPs, and slower powders worked better in the longer barrel than they did in pistols. I especially liked that Blue Dot didn't blow out unburned granules with every shot. The "Load Books" 9mm Luger edition lists rifle loads with predicted velocities up to 1650 fps. The Sierra bullets section lists 90 gr JHP bullets with Blue Dot starting at 7 grains to a max load of 9.2.

THere are some speed freaks out there on the Internets claiming 1700 - 1900 fps velocities but I'd rather keep all my body parts.

Last edited by DarthNul; October 28, 2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old October 28, 2011, 07:25 AM   #9
Mobuck

I haven't shot anything except 147 GoldDots out of my carbines but they really do make the 9mm carbine into a viable 100 yard gun. If loading specifically for the 16", I would use AA7 (which is I use for most hot loads anyway) and load as long as the mag will allow w/o sticking the bullet into the lands.