The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 27, 2000, 09:09 PM   #1
Mikey

Co-worker inherited two pistols from his Grandfather.

One is a 22 pocket piece. Appears to be chromed or bright nickel with intricately decorated black plastic grip panels. It is a seven shooter marked VICTOR and below that is 22 CAL.R.F. on the top strap. Cylinder is cracked over one chamber. Moderately nicked and finish worn thru in a few spots. I told him it was probably worth very little except to show it to his Grandkids someday as a nostalgia piece. Was this sound advice?

The second one is quite nice! It is a Colt Police Positive .38 (marked on left side of barrel) with black plastic grips. The grips are checkered with a decorative border and an oval COLT logo at the top. They show no cracks or excessive wear. The whole gun is in excellent condition - action is nice and tight, blueing is all there except for holster wear at the forward end of the barrel. The surface shows light rusting and the barrel has some patina. Checkering on the cylinder pin, cylinder latch and hammer retain all blueing and show no wear. Barrel is 6" long, lightweight and tapered in front of the frame. Rampant Colt on the left side of the frame is as crisp as the day it was made. Top of barrel marked COLT'S PT.F.A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD, CT. U.S.A. and below that is PAT'D AUG. 5, 1884, JUNE 5, 1900 JULY 4, 1905. Top strap is slightly rounded and grooved for sighting. Cylinder length is 1.25". Serial number on the frame under crane is 110364 and below that is the small case letter d. A matching serial number is on the crane also.

Several questions he has about the Colt:

Value as is? Is it collectable?

Cartridge for which it is chambered?

Should he have it cleaned up (perhaps reblued) and use it as an occasional shooter or just clean it up and store it?

I think he's really interested in having a pistol for occasional plinking and is toying with the idea of either using this one or selling it and buying something suitable for that role.

Any help is appreciated.

Mikey
Old June 27, 2000, 09:13 PM   #2
Jim V

Mikey, if he has that Colt reblued, Sam hisself will come looking for him. It should be chambered for teh .38 Colt cartridge, not the .38 Special. I believe there has been another question regarding the Colt Police Positive in this forum, where values were given.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"
Old June 27, 2000, 09:37 PM   #3
Mikey

Thanks Jim,

I read the other one before I posted. I believe the other one is of later manufacture since it has the wood grips. The one I am asking about should be one of two possible variations made from 1908 to 1923 or 1927 (best as I recollect), depending on the variation. Hopefully the serial number will nail it down.

I'm guessing the overall condition at 80-85% and I think the value will be around $300 to $350. Just want a confirmation before I tell the guy to sell it or shoot it. I wouldn't have it reblued, heck, it's pretty nice as is - but if he wants it for a shooter that's his business.

Mikey
Old June 29, 2000, 12:25 PM   #4
Mikey

Any additional help would be much appreciated...

Mikey