The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 22, 2011, 12:44 PM   #1
scorpion_tyr

Re-stamping old serial number

I'm aware that a gunsmith can re-stamp a serial number, but what if it's an old serial number and not the current one? Can I restamp it myself?

I have a Steyr M-95 that has a new and different serial number laser etched from the importer. The old serial number on the bolt matches the barrel, the chamber, the stock, and the stock band, but it's barely visible. Since this is no longer the current serial number can I re-stamp it myself or do I still need a gunsmith to do it?
Old March 22, 2011, 01:12 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The law aside, since you won't be able to match the font and size of the original marking, I think trying to overstamp it would look worse than if you just leave it alone.

As to the law, I don't believe recutting or restamping the original number would be a violation; restorers do it all the time. Besides, believe it or not, BATFE has bigger concerns than searching every house in the country for century-old rifles so they can check the numbers.

Jim
Old March 22, 2011, 01:17 PM   #3
scorpion_tyr

Thanks for the info. Just to clarify, I would first be taking the old serial number out completely. It's not deep at all and actually takes a long look to find it.
Old March 22, 2011, 01:23 PM   #4
mete

Proper procedure is to stamp number , then remove old number !!