The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old March 9, 2011, 02:20 PM   #1
rigby06

ever have trouble posting pictures

I have managed to post several pictures on this forum, but my question is to those that are able to post great looking ones, the pictures that are large in size showing good details of the weapons. My digital camera can take up to 12Mega Pixel, and to post on hear I have had to cut it down to 3Mega Pixels, no big deal, but once it was posted it was the type of a link that you click on to bring up the picture, and not one that is nice and large like many I have seen on hear.

Also on a secondary note, how does everyone who posts pictures keep the flash from over emphasize the picture making it way to bright to see properly. Just curious, and any help in this would be appreciated, and thanks.
Old March 9, 2011, 03:42 PM   #2
group17

Use a photo hosting site that will automatically reduce your Hi res images to fit on forums.You can find them that don't cost a dime to use so don't pay.

http://cameras.about.com/od/printing...ting-sites.htm
Old March 9, 2011, 04:07 PM   #3
Amin Parker

I have tons of trouble posting pictures period. I have even been accused of lying because i could not back up my words with pics.

Since cellphone technology has improved, i hardly ever need my computers and use my phone for everything. Everything except post pics.

How sad is that.

Consider a CZ pistol before you decide.
Old March 9, 2011, 04:56 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06
... but once it was posted it was the type of a link that you click on to bring up the picture, and not one that is nice and large like many I have seen on hear.
How are you entering the link(s) in your post(s)?

If you use link tags -- [ URL]xxx[/URL] -- you get a link.

If you use image tags -- [IMG]xxx[/IMG] -- you should see a photo.
Old March 9, 2011, 05:34 PM   #5
rigby06

I was insert attachment, but I see there is insert picture option, but it looks like it wants an existing URL to post the picture from. How do I get around that?
Old March 9, 2011, 05:42 PM   #6
larryf1952

I'm no pro by any stretch, but photography has been another of my hobbies since the early '80's. So, here's a few tips...

When you put your gun out to take a pic, try laying it on a neutral background, such as a white terry cloth towel, or some other soft fabric. Some guys have taken some really great pictures using a light box, but they're more into it than I am. I usually use a kitchen stool or chair, and lay the towel on it...then, I move the chair to a window or door that has ambient light filtering into it.

TURN YOUR FLASH OFF. I will often hold a sheet of white paper or another white surface behind the gun to bounce ambient light back onto it. This helps to illuminate the shadows on the surface of the gun, and make it stand out. Move the paper around a bit, and you can see what it does. Put your camera into the macro mode, and move in close so that the gun almost fills the frame from side to side. Focus about 1/3 of the way back from the closest point of the gun, frame the shot and take the photo.

If the photo is too dark, I'll sometimes go into the flash mode and reduce the flash by 1/3 to 1 full stop, then move out from the gun and reframe to fill the frame again. This will help to subdue the effects of flash. Experiment with it and try some different techniques and angles...it'll be fun.

When you're finished, you can use a site like photobucket.com to host your images. Once you get your pics uploaded, you can edit and resize them to fit on the page. I use the 800x600 size. Then, when you want to post a pic, just copy the IMG tag of your photo and insert it into your post.

Here's an example of what it looks like...

Old March 9, 2011, 06:13 PM   #7
rigby06

Much nicer than the pictures I have posted, and those are the tips I am looking for. Also I have tried to turn off my flash, and I have not found that option yet in the camera.

And a bad picture of a nice gun makes the gun look bad, and not worth looking at.

Thanks for the tips, all helpful tips are welcome.
Old March 9, 2011, 06:26 PM   #8
larryf1952

Rigby, I have a Canon A620 that's about 5 years old. It's a 7.1 MP camera, and it still takes fantastic photos. I can't speak for every brand, but unless you have the most basic of cameras, you should be able to turn off your flash. Usually, there's a button on the back of the camera, or some other indication on the thumbwheel (if it has one) that looks like a lightning bolt...this is the flash control. Press that, and you should see an icon on your screen that has the lightning bolt with the international NO sign (the circle with the bar through it) in it. That will be the indicator that your flash has been disabled.

Of course, there's always the operator's manual...
Old March 9, 2011, 06:46 PM   #9
rigby06

I will look at the camera tonight, but it is on the basic side, once I get home I will know what type it is.
Old March 9, 2011, 07:34 PM   #10
Rifleman1776

I have trouble posting pics on this forum.
Last month I posted a pic in the photo contest. It looked like it had posted. But, now, with results up my pic and post is nowhere to be found.
Old March 9, 2011, 07:52 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06
I was insert attachment, but I see there is insert picture option, but it looks like it wants an existing URL to post the picture from. How do I get around that?
Most forums don't allow uploading photos as attachments. If this site does, it would be an exception. There are any number of free photo hosting sites around the internet. The one I've been using is Photobucket. Others are Image Shack, Tiny Pics, Kodak ... and I'm sure you can find many more. You upload your photos to their server, so they'll be available 24/7, and then post links to the photos using the [IMG] tags.
Old March 9, 2011, 08:07 PM   #12
MC 1911

I always have problems as I won't use a hosting site. If I can't add as an attachment I don't post pics.,
Old March 9, 2011, 08:10 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

Photography is all about the lighting and color balance.

Good lighting, and from the right angles.
(The subject is too complicated for this thread, but there are many ways to achieve different effects with just a simple drop light.)

Color balance can be an issue with modern cameras that try to auto-balance, but don't understand what they're pointed at. To rectify this, it can be quite helpful to shoot against a neutral grey background. (A hint of blue in the grey helps some camera brands balance better - I recommend painting a poster board with Dutch Boy's "Technology Blue" {it's a neutral grey, with a slight hint of blue}, and seeing if it helps improve your photos)

Of course, the pros do all the manipulation themselves. Letting a camera use "Auto" mode will almost never produce good photos.
Old March 10, 2011, 09:17 AM   #14
Rifleman1776

Have to disagree with AB. I belong to more than a half dozen forums. This is the only one I have ever seen that does not allow attachments. And, it seems inconsistent in accepting pics. I have posted, then other times using the same steps it won't.
Old March 10, 2011, 04:53 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I belong to more than a half dozen forums. This is the only one I have ever seen that does not allow attachments.
There are several tutorials on this site, that show you how to upload attachments.

This is the pictorial version:

Click the "Manage Attachments" button.

Click the "Choose file" buttons to select your photos (or other files).
Then, click upload, and close the window when finished.

If you want to have photos appear in your post, click the new links above "Manage Attachments". Copy the URL, and past it between the IMG tags, like any other photo.

That little button has been staring you in the face.
(You can only upload 3 attachments per post.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tflmanage.jpg (51.8 KB, 2918 views)
File Type: jpg tflupload.jpg (92.6 KB, 2921 views)
File Type: jpg tflurl.jpg (49.4 KB, 2905 views)
Old March 11, 2011, 03:36 PM   #16
coop2564

OK you say URL IMG???? I think that is what is not making sense to us or at least me. on photobucket I have these opitions Email IM, Direst link, HTML code, IMG thumb....Direct link works but only gives a link on this site no pic...the others say upload error invalid file? my IMG tag on photobucket is this... and when I paste it into this web site and upload it says invalid file...all I can get to work is the direct link tag and its just a link. Heck copying the link it worked you just have to put it in word post not the manage attachments!!!

Last edited by coop2564; March 11, 2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old March 12, 2011, 10:21 AM   #17
Mal H
Staff

coop2564 - first of all you don't use the Manage Attachments function for pictures you have already uploaded to an external hosting site such as Photobucket. That function is for uploading images to this site from your home system.

In general, a link to an image that resides on any site, including ours, will be of the form (using your image as an example):
[URL]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d100/coop2564/th_Patriot.jpg[/URL]

If you want the image to appear in the post, you would use the Image format supplied by photobucket. It should look like this:
[IMG]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d100/coop2564/th_Patriot.jpg[/IMG]

Note that the only difference between the two are the tags used. Photobucket tries to make it easy to use, but the user can manipulate almost any legitimate image file into either a link or an image with the proper tags. You don't need to include their "action=view" or any other items in the URL peculiar to photobucket.

As for attachments (images you have uploaded to TFL), you can do the same things as you do with Photobucket images. You can link to them in other posts, or you can show them as images in other posts, not just the one where you uploaded it. Use the same tag formats as above. For the image file, you would use the attachment address that looks like this:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12345
You don't need any of the stuff that follows the attachmentid, but it can be included if you wish.

You get that URL of an attachment from the attachment properties. Simply move your cursor over the attachment wherever it resides (or in your User CP -> Attachments listing), right click on it and the Properties address is available for copying.

By the way, the image you posted above is actually this code:
[URL=http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d100/coop2564/?action=view&current=Patriot.jpg][IMG]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d100/coop2564/th_Patriot.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

That is in reality a hyperlink, and is unnecessary in order to show an image. In other words, you created an image from a linked image. Only the last part - the IMG taqgged part - is required to show the image.